1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Would Buy Again
By V McDevitt on 08/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

Have taken many, many 6-10 hour trips with 4-6 adults and van was GREAT (lots of room for all!). Drives solid (you'll know when you test drive -- nothing else like it!) Reliability has been pretty good but the squeaky brakes are driving me crazy. Doors are heavy; would have gone w/power doors given choice again. After market security/remote entry system SUCKS (Code Alarm) -- have to be right beside car for it to work. Wish it had more bells and whistles. I'm looking for a new car/van/SUV with the power, space and gas mileage of the Odyssey, but with more bells and whistles. Not sure anything better is out there ...

Good car; unimpressive reliability
By Zwiss on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

Car's a pleasure to drive, overall performs well. Ugly recent experience with ignition system malfunction that killed all power to van at random. Local Brandon, FL dealer was clueless on condition for 3 months of painful operation. Lindell Honda in Tampa rescued us from suffering by diagnosing problem in 30 seconds--bad ignition system! Experienced some other small problems-- but getting tired with the frequent trips to the dealer.

excellent
By sachi hotaling on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

love this car, swore we would never own a van and the odessey changed our mind!!

It's Number One for a reason!
By LSC86 on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Not wanting to wait 6+ months for a new LX and finding a great deal on this '99 EX, I can say that I am more than happy with our choice. The Odyssey truly does stand above the rest in terms of size, seating, power, and looks. The power doors are a bit slow and I really miss the keyless entry and sunroof we had on the Explorer, but overall the EX is nicely loaded and the fold flat 3rd seat it tops. Almost 7,000 trouble free miles so far for us with just under 55,000 total on the car. My previous Honda Accord is still kicking strong at over 150k miles and I fully expect to get 200k from this one.

lifesaver
By adi on 07/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

it is true, the odyssey has excellent safety qualities. my 1999ex was t- boned, airbags deployed, windshield and driver's window shattered, suspension collapsed, shell crumpled, was hit really bad but we walked out alive. im sure it would have been more serious if we were riding another brand of vehicle. we're replacing it with a 2003 model. proven lifesaver.

Odyssey
By BStagg on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

Long time Honda owner. Van drives great,is roomy and well designed, but... I am on my SECOND set of brake pads and just had the rotars replaced. Also, the air condition system has never performed like it should, but the dealer thought that was all in my head. Now that it is out of warannt, he would love to find the problem. Overall, somewhat disappointed in the van due to mechanical problems.

1999 Honda Odyssey EX
By Paul Rockey on 06/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Great van, handles well, very comfortable, looks good. Lots of power, but suspension is not made to pull or carry heavy loads. About 20-21 mpg, consistantly. I like the comfort and reliability - it is built using unibody construction, in comparison to a truck chassis. Easily fits 6 people with lots of room, 7 if necessary.

Odyssey Land
By JD/Doherty on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Thus far I am very disappointed with my Honda Odyssey. I was expecting much better from Honda. Problems surfaced within 8 months of purchase. First problem was related to the inigition system and stopped (shut down) 2 cyclders on the 3.5 V6 engine. Since then I've had a blow out on the front tire (at 10,000)since the tire had excessive wear on the inside of both. The tires were replaced and the wheel alignment was off dramatically (toe was off .16 degrees on both sides front). Most recently, 42,000 miles dealer determined to be a defective power steering pump unit making loud noise. The dealer is in the process of replacing.

Good Minivan
By eddie on 05/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

This minivan has been excellent. I have two small children and the interior has held up incredibly well for the pounding they give it. The car has all the features you need - reliable, good size, comfortable, excellent safety, nice ride. I liked it so much that I just bought the 2002 EXL.

30K and going strong!
By afilatov on 04/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

We have Ody since it just appeared on the market, bought at the end of 1998, at MSRP. 30k miles and so far no major complains. Solved the problem with power outlet location by purchasing after-market triple strip that plugs into the outlet and fastens to the dash. Also added 6-disk in-dash cd changer without replacing the tape player (available at about $300 on Internet) and planning to upgrade the speakers as well. Glad we did not get EX with power doors (heard about problems from many people). It is almost perfect (see list of suggested improvements) and has been a workhorse for us, carrying full load of 7 200# adults (a rowing crew) and luggage with ease.