Used 1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Frank's 1999 Honda Odyssey
By Frank Parada

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

Overall I've driven the van for four years and love it. The van gives me between 18-19 mpg and enjoy the comfortable ride. I would purchase the same van again.

Favorite Features

Fit for a family vehicle...

Suggested Improvements

Transmission and air condition system..

A Van for all Seasons
By Jim

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

We have taken our Odyssey from Pennsylvania to Allagash, Maine (loaded with canoes and people); to West Virginia (again loaded... with people and canoes, that is); to Florida, the Adirondacks and out to Michigan. This has been a great vehicle to own and has made me a minivan enthusiast - something I would not have thought possible.

Favorite Features

Excellent engine and dashboard controls. Very good cargo capacity and versatility. Rear seating is quite easy to change. Handling, not to be confused with a Porsche, is quite good by minivan standards. Spare tire location is ingenious and functional. Built in garage door opener quite handy

Suggested Improvements

Automatic gearshift lever on 1999 model was poorly positioned (this has been changed). Traction control is a joke.

So far no transmission problems
By hondamaryland

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

I bought the '99 Odyssey in 2006. So far it's been good to us. This was not subject to a transmission recall. Knocking on wood.

Favorite Features

Five-star crash rating, especially side impact. Didn't want a minivan but decided it was safest way to go for our kids. I hated it at first but now like it. I feel pretty safe in it, and it's good for hauling things as we fix up our house. (Middle-row seats can be removed from car.)

Suggested Improvements

I'm sure Honda has improved this already, but the automatic doors are very slow (especially annoying when you forgot something inside and have to wait for it to close then wait for it to open), and the one on driver's side always sticks. No button to open rear/hatch door. Speakers only in front.

Golden*
By BobP

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

This is the best of the best if you gotta have a mini van. Looks, Comfort, and a little power under the hood when you need it. It's not the mustang I would have if I had my way, but if you gotta have a mini van its GOLDEN.

Favorite Features

Visibility, Style, V6, Easy to use features, ITS A HONDA!

Suggested Improvements

Power slide doors seem to be a bit finiky. I looked a 2 to buy and both had faulty sliding doors on passenger side..,Dealer fixed the one I bought, Hope I am ok for another year!

Disappointed with Honda
By Allen Zornow

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

With over 13 re- calls or extensions of warrenty, this van has not been a good value. I've experienced Transmission problems, gone through two catalytic converters, replaced the head gasket and had all sorts of problems with the automatic doors.This van can't be something Honda stakes its reputation on. Although my dealership has treated me excellently, I gave Honda an opportunity to keep me as a customer. Apparently, they are not interested.

Favorite Features

Fold down rear seat.

Suggested Improvements

I think those of us that bought the 1999 re-designed version of the Odyssey were pioneers for the improvements and success of their current Van of today.In other words, we took one for their team.