Used 1999 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Transmission Problems
By DogDazeLee

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I bought a certified, pre-owned 1999 Honda Odyssey from Piazza Honda in Drexel Hill, PA, 11 months ago. Engine light just went on at 77,000 miles and I'm being told by (3) transmission specialists and Honda Service that transmission needs to be replaced. Honda dealer refuses to cover any of the repairs. I now understand via the Internet that this has been well documented problem with this vehicle.

Sliding door also malfunctions

Honda 1999, Honda is not what Honda was
By srmorrison56

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Honda engineering is not what it used to be. I've got an Odyssey with 175,000 and two things have happened:

1) The second transmission failed. The transmissions that Honda used for the warranty were rebuilds that were rebuilt with the same garbage parts as the original transmissions. Honda did not fix the design issues. So every 85,000 miles you will need a new transmission for you Odyssey.

2) The ignition switch recall resulted in Honda replacing the contact module. It turns out that Honda used the same approach as the transmissions; They used the same faulty design for the replacement and I just replaced the The ignition switch contact module for the second time.

Handling

Honda will not implement new or improved designs in existing cars so once you have a problem it will be replaced but not improved. I would steer folks to the new Toyota Sienna if they are looking for a van.

Will not buy another Odyssey ever again
By Paul

1999 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

Since I purchased this vehicle, all I had is problems. First, the battery, then a sensor on the automatic doors, then the transmission, which in this vehicles IS MORE EXPENSIVE because is complicated to work on. After 4 months and a lot of money spent, I just traded in for a Quest. I definitely will not buy any Honda SUV or Van ever again. Read the reviews and you will know why.

None.

Transmission. Reliability over all.

The Best
By christina

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I purchased this van at 80,000 miles. It now has 246,000 miles and still run like a champ. It is quite, smooth and great on gas. The only thing I had to replace on this van was the wheel bearings at 200,000 miles and of course breaks and rotors, which my dad and I replaced. The sensor in the cat. converter went out, but didnt replace it and no I haven't replaced the muffler cuz it doesn't need it. The ignition switch was recalled so I replaced that cuz it was free. That is it oh yeah had to replace the starter again did it with my husband. I love this van. Went from Ohio to Daytona beach for $300.00 in gas at 3.27 a gal.

Love the room, the seat that folds down, every thing about it..

The other seats that fold in the floor.

Great Van EX version love Honda vehicles
By lemichaelj

1999 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

Love my van bought a new one, and love Honda vehicles, yes the 99, 2000 models did have tranny troubles but they had a recall that fixed it. I put a trans cooler on mine the day I bought it, every vehicle should have trans cooler. but van is roomy , I have 251000 miles on it now and no major problems, condenser got a hole rubbed in it by a small rock, replaced it and still going strong actually had to spend the night in it when Hurricane Rita came through Louisiana. Thank God for the Roominess, This van rides and drives like a car, rear air for the kids is perfect. Power sliding doors are perfect and although you have to clean the contacts every so often so they close completely, Great van!!!

Power sliding doors on both sides, Rear air and heat, seats 8 passengers easily, drives like almost any car. the body is nice looking over most mini vans.

Tell customers to keep the power sliding doors contacts clean so they close correctly. Trans coolers should have been a standard feature to keep such large vans from overheating such small transmissions. move the mirror adjustments to the driver side door instead of the dashboard too hard to get t