1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Disappointed in Honda Quality
By Big Jay on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

We purchased this van in 2002. We owned it for 8 years and 120K miles. Overall, I was disappointed in the quality of the vehicle. It did have some good interior and exterior features. The engine was always reliable. However, the transmission was a train wreck. We had to replace the transmission 2 times while we owned it. We had numerous issues with the power sliding door. Every so often I had to clean the connectors with steel wool or the door would not shut properly. We recently traded off the van for a Toyota. The little things like nobs, handles, buttons, etc. were starting to fail. The gas mileage was also starting to diminish. I would be hesitant to purchase another Honda Odyssey van.

Disappointing
By Bill on 07/20/10 17:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

We purchased a 1999 Odyssey new at a local dealership and have owned it since. We are very disappointed in the overall quality and reliability. We have had some recalls, sliding door problems, suspension problems, rear brake problems, and the transmission needed to be replaced around 64,000 miles. Honda covered the transmission, but no vehicle should have that after only 64,000 miles much less one that is known to be very reliable. This vehicle has made me believe that foreign vehicles are really no better than American vehicles as my parents have a Ford Freestar and have had absolutely no problems at all at the 80,000 mark and counting. Buy American!

Great family van except tranny
By seattlecatfish on 10/02/09 14:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

We bought the van with 89k, I'm guessing that it already had a fresh tranny (looking back now). All and all I have to be fair in saying that it has served us very well. For 3 years hardly any maintenance just typical little things (fluid levels, tires, ect). I know my way around a car and it's a good van. The biggest problem with our van was the side doors being intermittent and then tranny acting wierd. Flushed it, no help. 3 yrs 10mths later, tranny has pasted on. It is a well known problem 99-01 tranny failures. With only one type of tranny to be replaced with at $3300 (w/o labor) each time. About every 3 yrs or less it will need to be replaced. And this is typical with all 99-01. Check Internet and see.

Love owning this car
By AMR on 08/09/09 15:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

I have loved this car from the very beginning. I have driven it for 10 1/2 years and still love it for the most part. There is plenty of room for the four of us and our vacation gear. It drives like a car. There have been a few electrical problems to crop up in it's older age like the clock light no longer works and driver's door lock motor fried, but what do you expect it's old?

Transmission Problems
By Stuck on 06/29/09 15:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

The van drove well for the first few years. Smooth on the road and comfortable. The capacity and fold down seats are a big plus. Easy to get in and off. Plenty of engine power on the EX. The major problem is I am on my 3rd transmission after 113K miles.

Great seats for the long drive
By Mark Cooke on 02/23/09 11:30 AM (PST)

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

I love my Honda van. I bought it used at 116,000km 6 years ago and it now has 310,000 km on it with only an alternator and the usual tires and brakes. I added a transmission cooler since I pulled a 3000lb trailer for two summers. This van is driven daily in town and driven coast to coast twice in Canada plus has seen 25% of the States.

Eats Transmissions and Tires
By Don Easley on 01/15/09 15:04 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Originally considered buying a Caravan but due to its known transmission problems paid the extra for a Honda. I should have bought the Caravan. Automatic doors are a continual problem. The first transmission died after 104K. Since the transmission recall only affected transmissions up to 100K I was not covered to given any break. The second transmission has now died at 168,000 miles. Since it was based on the original flawed design its life was always in question. The Odyssey also has a large appetite for tires as I am now on my 7th set. All and all this has been my most disappointing vehicle purchases and has soured me on Honda cars and vans.

Expected More
By klw on 09/27/08 09:27 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

I am the not so proud owner of a 1999 Honda Odyssey. At 176,000 miles we are looking at our third transmission. At $4000 a pop this is really a no brainer. Very frustrating to say the least. We have put a fairly good amount of money into the care, repair and maintenance of the van and expected more from Honda. I am wishing we had gotten rid of it after the first transmission went bad at 75,000 miles and gotten a Toyota. We also drive a Camry with over 186,000 miles and have never had a transmission problem. Comfort is nice but I'd really like reliability and the ability to drive a vehicle long term without these repeated major repairs - like I though a Honda would provide.

Reliability Issues
By CBYC on 09/14/08 06:11 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

When the vehicle was new it had reliably served its main purpose of hauling kids to sports events and carrying family gear while on vacation. A few years ago we started experiencing problems with the operation of the auto sliding doors (bearing required $ replacement), followed by clogged EGR (poor quality of gas contributed), starter, and now transmission. We bought Honda for its reliability but buyer beware of the first model year of an entirely new redesigned vehicle.

Will not buy another Odyssey ever again
By Paul on 05/05/08 08:43 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Since I purchased this vehicle, all I had is problems. First, the battery, then a sensor on the automatic doors, then the transmission, which in this vehicles IS MORE EXPENSIVE because is complicated to work on. After 4 months and a lot of money spent, I just traded in for a Quest. I definitely will not buy any Honda SUV or Van ever again. Read the reviews and you will know why.

1 2 3 4 5 next »