Used 1999 Honda Odyssey EX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Disappointed in Honda Quality
By Big Jay

1999 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

We purchased this van in 2002. We owned it for 8 years and 120K miles. Overall, I was disappointed in the quality of the vehicle. It did have some good interior and exterior features. The engine was always reliable. However, the transmission was a train wreck. We had to replace the transmission 2 times while we owned it. We had numerous issues with the power sliding door. Every so often I had to clean the connectors with steel wool or the door would not shut properly. We recently traded off the van for a Toyota. The little things like nobs, handles, buttons, etc. were starting to fail. The gas mileage was also starting to diminish. I would be hesitant to purchase another Honda Odyssey van.

Favorite Features

Engine was always reliable. Easy to maintain. Some of the interior features such as the climate control and placement of the nobs and buttons was well designed. It drove well in the snow and on family vacations.

Suggested Improvements

Bad transmission design - replaced the transmission 2 times. Power sliding doors - we experienced numerous problems. A majority of the problems were with the door not shutting properly and the alarm going off. Interior nobs, buttons, handles, etc broke easily.

Disappointing
By Bill

1999 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

We purchased a 1999 Odyssey new at a local dealership and have owned it since. We are very disappointed in the overall quality and reliability. We have had some recalls, sliding door problems, suspension problems, rear brake problems, and the transmission needed to be replaced around 64,000 miles. Honda covered the transmission, but no vehicle should have that after only 64,000 miles much less one that is known to be very reliable. This vehicle has made me believe that foreign vehicles are really no better than American vehicles as my parents have a Ford Freestar and have had absolutely no problems at all at the 80,000 mark and counting. Buy American!

Favorite Features

Well in rear for storage

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, quality, comfort, radio, handling, power doors.

Great family van except tranny
By seattlecatfish

1999 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

We bought the van with 89k, I'm guessing that it already had a fresh tranny (looking back now). All and all I have to be fair in saying that it has served us very well. For 3 years hardly any maintenance just typical little things (fluid levels, tires, ect). I know my way around a car and it's a good van. The biggest problem with our van was the side doors being intermittent and then tranny acting wierd. Flushed it, no help. 3 yrs 10mths later, tranny has pasted on. It is a well known problem 99-01 tranny failures. With only one type of tranny to be replaced with at $3300 (w/o labor) each time. About every 3 yrs or less it will need to be replaced. And this is typical with all 99-01. Check Internet and see.

Favorite Features

I liked almost everything about this van but I will not spend over $3300 every 3 yrs.

Suggested Improvements

How many ways can I say transmission, xmsn, tranny, or engine to wheel go-go thingy... I think you get it...

Love owning this car
By AMR

1999 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

I have loved this car from the very beginning. I have driven it for 10 1/2 years and still love it for the most part. There is plenty of room for the four of us and our vacation gear. It drives like a car. There have been a few electrical problems to crop up in it's older age like the clock light no longer works and driver's door lock motor fried, but what do you expect it's old?

Favorite Features

There are plenty of storage spaces. I love the automatic doors (this is one reason I chose this van).

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders in the back don't hold fast food drink cups well. We have spilled many just by turning a corner. The rubber in the cup holders in console no longer holds cups tightly.

Transmission Problems
By Stuck

1999 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

The van drove well for the first few years. Smooth on the road and comfortable. The capacity and fold down seats are a big plus. Easy to get in and off. Plenty of engine power on the EX. The major problem is I am on my 3rd transmission after 113K miles.

Favorite Features

Cup Holders, roof rack, stereo, folding seats and colors to choose from.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission recall would have taken care of the problem in the first place. Design flaw causes premature wear.