1999 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Has done good for us
By cdavenport on 04/12/13 12:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Bought this van at an auction, didn't know it had a transi issue. $2200 later with the recommended upgraded rebuild kit & it has been great since. Getting the van at a discount made the transi rebuild isue to tolerate. Cannot imagine buying & financing at full price and having a transmission go. We love it. Had it for over a year. Now at 190k.

Excellent vehicle, 195k and still going stong!
By greenewpm3 on 01/07/13 05:44 AM (PST)

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Since we bought our Odyssey in 1999, it's done nothing but impress. We test drove all the Odyssey's competitors, ranging from the Toyota Sienna to the Ford Windstar, and none could touch the Honda when it came to build quality and driving dynamics. The engine is wonderful, with plenty of power and low-end grunt. Transmission problems aside (See "Improvements") we've had to make only ONE unexpected repair, a single $40 coil pack, in the 195k miles we've driven! And we haven't exactly babied our Odyssey either... For 5 summers in a row we towed our 3000lb boat back and forth through the Adirondack mountains, and the van never flinched!

245k and no problem whatsoever
By mike01young on 10/04/12 11:02 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

we bought this vehicle 5 years ago at 170k and never had a single problem whatsoever.

1999 Odyssey
By jnkurban on 01/17/11 17:02 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Bought the van a couple years ago. The van looked great, power doors are nice for a family and the engine has ran good. Transmission is BAD, the transmission lasted a couple years and needs to be replaced. Honda dealer said $4000 to be replaced. If it wern't for transmission problems in this van it would be the perfect van. This Honda transmission has no reliablity. Unless you're willing to replace the transmission every couple years at a cost of $4000, stay away from this vehicle.

Honda Ethics
By Mary F on 05/27/09 08:26 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I bought my Odyssey Van new in 1999. It has been a great vehicle, with 2 exceptions, both noted in reviews here and elsewhere. The transmisssion: went out just over 75000 miles the first time; I have had three in all. The rear sliding door on the passenger side has never worked properly. After many excuses from the dealer, we closed it for good. Too many reviews here cite the same problems. Honda knew this, and ethically speaking,should have lifted the mileage restriction on recall. These problems had nothing to do with mileage, but with production. The transmission was a big expensive lemon, as was the door. Quality companies stand behind their products. Not this time.

I like my Odyssey
By larrysfixit on 11/13/08 17:24 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I have had the car for 10 years. never had a problem. Great minivan. 28 MPG All the power you will need. Loves to cruse at 80MPH

Transmission Problems
By DogDazeLee on 06/17/08 19:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I bought a certified, pre-owned 1999 Honda Odyssey from Piazza Honda in Drexel Hill, PA, 11 months ago. Engine light just went on at 77,000 miles and I'm being told by (3) transmission specialists and Honda Service that transmission needs to be replaced. Honda dealer refuses to cover any of the repairs. I now understand via the Internet that this has been well documented problem with this vehicle.

Honda 1999, Honda is not what Honda was
By srmorrison56 on 05/05/08 11:09 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Honda engineering is not what it used to be. I've got an Odyssey with 175,000 and two things have happened: 1) The second transmission failed. The transmissions that Honda used for the warranty were rebuilds that were rebuilt with the same garbage parts as the original transmissions. Honda did not fix the design issues. So every 85,000 miles you will need a new transmission for you Odyssey. 2) The ignition switch recall resulted in Honda replacing the contact module. It turns out that Honda used the same approach as the transmissions; They used the same faulty design for the replacement and I just replaced the The ignition switch contact module for the second time.

The Best
By christina on 03/24/08 09:56 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I purchased this van at 80,000 miles. It now has 246,000 miles and still run like a champ. It is quite, smooth and great on gas. The only thing I had to replace on this van was the wheel bearings at 200,000 miles and of course breaks and rotors, which my dad and I replaced. The sensor in the cat. converter went out, but didnt replace it and no I haven't replaced the muffler cuz it doesn't need it. The ignition switch was recalled so I replaced that cuz it was free. That is it oh yeah had to replace the starter again did it with my husband. I love this van. Went from Ohio to Daytona beach for $300.00 in gas at 3.27 a gal.

Hate this Van
By Hate this van on 05/01/07 10:39 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I thought this van would be nice to drive. The check engine light comes on unless I use premium gas, and a diagnostics test said the o2 sensor and the cat needed replaced. I am glad I haven't had the trans problem that everyone else seems to have, maybe that was worked out before I got it. It doesn't have a smooth ride at all. The sliding doors stick and sometimes won't even stay shut, even the hatch is hard to get open and closed.