1999 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Has done good for us
By cdavenport on 04/12/13 12:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Bought this van at an auction, didn't know it had a transi issue. $2200 later with the recommended upgraded rebuild kit & it has been great since. Getting the van at a discount made the transi rebuild isue to tolerate. Cannot imagine buying & financing at full price and having a transmission go. We love it. Had it for over a year. Now at 190k.

Excellent vehicle, 195k and still going stong!
By greenewpm3 on 01/07/13 05:44 AM (PST)

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Since we bought our Odyssey in 1999, it's done nothing but impress. We test drove all the Odyssey's competitors, ranging from the Toyota Sienna to the Ford Windstar, and none could touch the Honda when it came to build quality and driving dynamics. The engine is wonderful, with plenty of power and low-end grunt. Transmission problems aside (See "Improvements") we've had to make only ONE unexpected repair, a single $40 coil pack, in the 195k miles we've driven! And we haven't exactly babied our Odyssey either... For 5 summers in a row we towed our 3000lb boat back and forth through the Adirondack mountains, and the van never flinched!

245k and no problem whatsoever
By mike01young on 10/04/12 11:02 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

we bought this vehicle 5 years ago at 170k and never had a single problem whatsoever.

1999 Odyssey
By jnkurban on 01/17/11 17:02 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Bought the van a couple years ago. The van looked great, power doors are nice for a family and the engine has ran good. Transmission is BAD, the transmission lasted a couple years and needs to be replaced. Honda dealer said $4000 to be replaced. If it wern't for transmission problems in this van it would be the perfect van. This Honda transmission has no reliablity. Unless you're willing to replace the transmission every couple years at a cost of $4000, stay away from this vehicle.

Disappointed in Honda Quality
By Big Jay on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

We purchased this van in 2002. We owned it for 8 years and 120K miles. Overall, I was disappointed in the quality of the vehicle. It did have some good interior and exterior features. The engine was always reliable. However, the transmission was a train wreck. We had to replace the transmission 2 times while we owned it. We had numerous issues with the power sliding door. Every so often I had to clean the connectors with steel wool or the door would not shut properly. We recently traded off the van for a Toyota. The little things like nobs, handles, buttons, etc. were starting to fail. The gas mileage was also starting to diminish. I would be hesitant to purchase another Honda Odyssey van.

Disappointing
By Bill on 07/20/10 17:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

We purchased a 1999 Odyssey new at a local dealership and have owned it since. We are very disappointed in the overall quality and reliability. We have had some recalls, sliding door problems, suspension problems, rear brake problems, and the transmission needed to be replaced around 64,000 miles. Honda covered the transmission, but no vehicle should have that after only 64,000 miles much less one that is known to be very reliable. This vehicle has made me believe that foreign vehicles are really no better than American vehicles as my parents have a Ford Freestar and have had absolutely no problems at all at the 80,000 mark and counting. Buy American!

Great family van except tranny
By seattlecatfish on 10/02/09 14:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

We bought the van with 89k, I'm guessing that it already had a fresh tranny (looking back now). All and all I have to be fair in saying that it has served us very well. For 3 years hardly any maintenance just typical little things (fluid levels, tires, ect). I know my way around a car and it's a good van. The biggest problem with our van was the side doors being intermittent and then tranny acting wierd. Flushed it, no help. 3 yrs 10mths later, tranny has pasted on. It is a well known problem 99-01 tranny failures. With only one type of tranny to be replaced with at $3300 (w/o labor) each time. About every 3 yrs or less it will need to be replaced. And this is typical with all 99-01. Check Internet and see.

Love owning this car
By AMR on 08/09/09 15:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

I have loved this car from the very beginning. I have driven it for 10 1/2 years and still love it for the most part. There is plenty of room for the four of us and our vacation gear. It drives like a car. There have been a few electrical problems to crop up in it's older age like the clock light no longer works and driver's door lock motor fried, but what do you expect it's old?

Transmission Problems
By Stuck on 06/29/09 15:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

The van drove well for the first few years. Smooth on the road and comfortable. The capacity and fold down seats are a big plus. Easy to get in and off. Plenty of engine power on the EX. The major problem is I am on my 3rd transmission after 113K miles.

Honda Ethics
By Mary F on 05/27/09 08:26 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I bought my Odyssey Van new in 1999. It has been a great vehicle, with 2 exceptions, both noted in reviews here and elsewhere. The transmisssion: went out just over 75000 miles the first time; I have had three in all. The rear sliding door on the passenger side has never worked properly. After many excuses from the dealer, we closed it for good. Too many reviews here cite the same problems. Honda knew this, and ethically speaking,should have lifted the mileage restriction on recall. These problems had nothing to do with mileage, but with production. The transmission was a big expensive lemon, as was the door. Quality companies stand behind their products. Not this time.