1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Ahead of its time
By john on 07/02/08 20:36 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

We have owner this small van for 1-1/2 years. Purchased from original owners who only put 72,000 miles on it in the 8 years they owned it. It handles really well and is surprisingly good in the Maine snow. The car feels solid and is relatively heavy for its size. Nevertheless, the 4 cylinder VTEC engine provides nice power when needed. And when we drive conservatively, we have been able to squeeze 30 mpg. If Honda had offered a 5 speed manual for this vehicle, it would be our dream car. And, I know we could bump the gas mileage up a couple MPG. HINT TO HONDA: Bring back this wonderful ahead of its time car!! HINT TO TOYOTA: Bring back the remarkable Corolla All-trac wagon!!

Extremely impressed
By jaw on 05/29/08 21:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Super van, very reliable, only two parts broke over 11 years of constant use: starter motor and a cast iron header pipe cracked, both rare. Our van has 322,000kms, or over 193,000miles, with super Honda v-tec 2.3 liter engine: good low end torque for it's size, and great power up top if you need it (150 horse). It's much lighter than other vans so it outperforms even 3.0 liter Nissan's and other vans. I get over 30 miles per gallon highway, but run hard tires and 0W-30 amsoil. With a tranny cooler I've towed all across North America. It has lots of life left, it handles very nicely for a van too, much better than any other I've ever driven. Like a car. Great small van, ahead of its time.

Solidly Built, 6 Seater Car/Van
By Chris on 12/30/07 11:59 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Closer to a 6 seat car than a van. A "crossover" ahead of it's time. Power: Surprising. Wind the tach and the car moves "good enough". I turned in an '04 3.8 Grand Caravan and I like the characteristics of the 98 Odyssey better. Mileage: Average. I get 21mpg. Steering: Drives like an Accord, but slightly heavier feel (because it is). Above average for a "van". Reliability: Zero unscheduled fixes to date. Interior: Below average. Cupholders useless(verey small), and no center console means drinks sit on passenger seat or lap. Some controls not lit at night; dash is very dim. Not enough storage bins. Sound: Poor, worst sound of any car I've owned.

Wish they'd still import it
By Honda/Toyota Owner on 09/19/07 20:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

We love this little minivan. We bought it to replace or beloved 1996 Odyssey that was stolen last year. The 1998 with the VTEC is even more zippy than previous years. This is the most car-like of minivans. It 's basically a large Accord with more comfortable seating and better visibility. The newer Odyssey's simply don't feel as agile as these smaller Japanese vans. Although they have more room and more power. Our 2003 Element with its similar weight and power seems less zippy, gets slightly lower gas mileage, seats less and has significantly worse visibility. I bought it to keep the miles off of the more versatile Odyssey. I wish Honda would still import these.

9 Years Old and Going Strong
By Elizabeth on 04/27/07 17:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

I love my 1998 Odyssey! It's 9 years old and has never given me any trouble. I currently have 110,000 miles on it, and aside from routine maintenance, I never have a concern. It is boring to drive, but it never pretended to be a sports car. It is very comfortable, and I wish Honda still made them this size. I would buy another one. Sometimes I wish it would die, so I could get something sportier, but then common sense kicks in and I remember what a great investment this vehicle was/is! I hope I can get another 100,000 miles out of it.

Goodbye Honda, I
By Chet Bower on 08/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

I am getting rid of my Honda Oddesey tommorow not because it was bad because I live in the mountains of Randolph, New Jersey and need AWD. This car was great to me. The car had 104,000 miles on it with no problems. The Honda was pretty fun to drive and took the bumbs better then my 2004 Honda Pilot. The Oddesey and the Accord are the two best Hondas ever.

good
By Jared Willams on 07/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

The Honda Oddesey is a great small mini- van which is a great choice. This mini-van handles excellently and is great in the snow even without AWD.

good
By Judy Farell on 07/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

My Honda Odyssey Experience
By cmomgo on 02/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

I previously owned a Toyota Camry which was highly reliable. I had some revervations about switching, but this has been a top notch verhicle.

Wonderful Car
By LTS on 02/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Practical solution to the many demands of life. 2.3 litre VTEC engine is a must for performance (165 hp)