1998 Honda Odyssey LX Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

1998 Odyssey Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Sort Reviews by

1998 Odyssey
By teapartynow

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

I bought it used with 100K miles on it in 2013. Well taken care of and serviced. I expect the transmission to last 250K miles. At that point in time parts may be scarce so I'll enjoy it while I can. Do the drain of transmission fluid, not the flush, with 30K intervals. The car is well built and the seats are very comfortable. I have a bad back and I'm 6 foot 2 but I can still put in a 12 hour drive non stop and feel OK when I step out. It likes the speed interval 80 to 100 miles per hour on the interstate. Too bad American cars are not this good, or the later Odysseys. There is nothing like it.

Favorite Features

Seat comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back. And put heavy duty suspension on it. People transport loads in these cars.

14 years old and going strong
By chenster

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

We bought this car 8 years ago when we found out we were having twins. The boys came home from the hospital in the van. Now they are carted around to school, soccer practice, piano lessons. The size for us family of 4 is perfect. The gas mileage is pretty good for a van. We average around 25 mpg, up to 30mpg on long road trips. We wish there were similar sized newer models but the Mazda5 is a bit cramped. All other vans are huge and gas-guzzling. We are keeping this one until they bring over the JDM Odyssey or Honda Stream. One thing to remember is to replace the oil cooler o-ring. Also Honda ATF every 15K would ward off transmission issues.

Favorite Features

Perfect size for family of 4. Holds a ton of stuff. We have carried 4 kayaks on top, with 4 bikes on a trailer hitch. Pre-wired for towing: we tow a small sailboat with ours.

Great car!
By suswaski

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

I bought this car because I wanted a mini van that had four real opening doors- I love the size of it, decent power and gas mileage, very versatile vehicle, super reliable. I have driven mine about 4 years now on a Salvage title- I was hit by a teenage driver and my car was "totalled" due to the costs of the repair- I have almost 180,000 miles on the car and it is still going strong! I bought it with about 88,000 miles on it. i only wish it came in a AWD, and that they still made these cars-- I don't know what I will buy when it finally dies. :(

Favorite Features

4 real doors lots of storage fold down seats 2nd row captains chairs good vision of road RELIABILITY

Suggested Improvements

AWD Bring them back!

Bring them back Honda
By A Missourian

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

After reading numerous reviews on Volvos, Subarus, and old Mercedes diesels, we found out about the 1995-1998 Honda Odysseys. Talk about a car ahead of its time! The 1998 model came with the 2.3L 4-cylinder VTEC, which has excellent V6-like power. These 1st Gens were still made in Japan, and were built from the Accord platform (with the same engine).... because of that, the trannys are much better than what was found in the early 2nd Gen model (1999-2001). We have had ours for a few months, and it has been the best car we have ever owned! I switched to synthetic oil/filter, and get 31+ MPG highway on a tank! No gas car made in '09 that seats 7 can even match that!

Favorite Features

7 passenger seating with 31+ mpg and rock-solid reliability. Engine bay very easy to work on for a minivan. Excellent stowable rear seats. Drives like a car (Accord platform).

Suggested Improvements

Bring the smaller minivan back to the States Honda, with even better MPG!

Was good but no more
By A worker

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

Ours was a 98 LX. We owned it for 11 years. It ran smooth with conservative look and practical interior design. It was little lack on power and loud when speedup but was just functioning well. However, we are not that lucky as the owners here. Our Odyssey's engine started to make noise a few weeks ago. 2 different mechanics said the same things, transmission was about to die. But it only had less than 90k miles! How could it be? We did all required oil change and timely maintenance. Thought we could drive it for 20 years. Traded in and bought a Toyota Highlander Sport. It's just different in all respects.

Favorite Features

7 seats, not too big size, smooth and not loud on regular cruising

Suggested Improvements

Hope Honda does better on transmission for newer models.

Best minivan ever!
By Best Minivan EVER

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

I bought this van only 3 years ago, and on average I've driven it 60,000 km/year which is a lot. Right now it has 320,000 km and I've never received a single $5 dollar bulb replacement. I do oil change every 10,000 km (which is late) and it still drives like its brand new. I love the 4 cylinder engine while I save on gas- they should make more of these even though they weren't famous at its time because gas was cheap back then. The 4 cylinder v tech is amazingly powerful

Favorite Features

seats fold flat on ground (first van with STOW N GO feature) 4 cylinder Vtech is powerful (first 4 cylinder van) Back windows roll all the way down Audio system is amazing (cd/cassette/good speakers) **RELIABILITY**

Suggested Improvements

ummm more center cup holders, a better shape......umm cant think of anything else -quieter engine

Ahead of its time
By john

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

We have owner this small van for 1-1/2 years. Purchased from original owners who only put 72,000 miles on it in the 8 years they owned it. It handles really well and is surprisingly good in the Maine snow. The car feels solid and is relatively heavy for its size. Nevertheless, the 4 cylinder VTEC engine provides nice power when needed. And when we drive conservatively, we have been able to squeeze 30 mpg. If Honda had offered a 5 speed manual for this vehicle, it would be our dream car. And, I know we could bump the gas mileage up a couple MPG. HINT TO HONDA: Bring back this wonderful ahead of its time car!! HINT TO TOYOTA: Bring back the remarkable Corolla All-trac wagon!!

Favorite Features

Perfect size Comfortable and sure ride. Good in snow Good gas mileage for size of car Rear A/C Good visibility Front seat arm rests

Suggested Improvements

If only there had been an available a 5 Speed manual transmission. This should still be offered as a 4 cyl VTEC "cross over" vehicle. The newer Odyssey is way too big for us, and our CRV doesn't have quite enough room.

Extremely impressed
By jaw

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Super van, very reliable, only two parts broke over 11 years of constant use: starter motor and a cast iron header pipe cracked, both rare. Our van has 322,000kms, or over 193,000miles, with super Honda v-tec 2.3 liter engine: good low end torque for it's size, and great power up top if you need it (150 horse). It's much lighter than other vans so it outperforms even 3.0 liter Nissan's and other vans. I get over 30 miles per gallon highway, but run hard tires and 0W-30 amsoil. With a tranny cooler I've towed all across North America. It has lots of life left, it handles very nicely for a van too, much better than any other I've ever driven. Like a car. Great small van, ahead of its time.

Favorite Features

The styling for a minivan is very classy, and tight. The versatile seats that fold into the floor or out of the way are very handy. Very reliable, great gas mileage: when gas is 5 bucks a gallon these vans will be worth lots and you won't be able to give away your SUV.

Suggested Improvements

A better quality audio system perhaps, and a center console or net. Not much to complain about in general.

Solidly Built, 6 Seater Car/Van
By Chris

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Closer to a 6 seat car than a van. A "crossover" ahead of it's time. Power: Surprising. Wind the tach and the car moves "good enough". I turned in an '04 3.8 Grand Caravan and I like the characteristics of the 98 Odyssey better. Mileage: Average. I get 21mpg. Steering: Drives like an Accord, but slightly heavier feel (because it is). Above average for a "van". Reliability: Zero unscheduled fixes to date. Interior: Below average. Cupholders useless(verey small), and no center console means drinks sit on passenger seat or lap. Some controls not lit at night; dash is very dim. Not enough storage bins. Sound: Poor, worst sound of any car I've owned.

Favorite Features

1) Reliability/Cost Of Ownership 2) Surprising VTEC Performance 3) Visibility/Driving Characterisics. I can see better out of this vehicle than any car I've ever owned. 4) 3rd row seat is easier to fold after 10 years than even the newest Chrysler Stow N Go design.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders are atrocious. Factory stereo is atrocious. Needs more storage bins. Needs larger fuel tank (only 270mi between fill ups). Needs better lit controls for night driving.

98 Odyssey
By Darrell

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

Have driven for 10 years and am very pleased with the service I have gotten from this Honda.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, versatility of interior space, overall comfort.

Suggested Improvements

A little on the noisy side.