Used 1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

1998 Odyssey
By teapartynow

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

I bought it used with 100K miles on it in 2013. Well taken care of and serviced. I expect the transmission to last 250K miles. At that point in time parts may be scarce so I'll enjoy it while I can. Do the drain of transmission fluid, not the flush, with 30K intervals. The car is well built and the seats are very comfortable. I have a bad back and I'm 6 foot 2 but I can still put in a 12 hour drive non stop and feel OK when I step out. It likes the speed interval 80 to 100 miles per hour on the interstate. Too bad American cars are not this good, or the later Odysseys. There is nothing like it.

Favorite Features

Seat comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back. And put heavy duty suspension on it. People transport loads in these cars.

14 years old and going strong
By chenster

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

We bought this car 8 years ago when we found out we were having twins. The boys came home from the hospital in the van. Now they are carted around to school, soccer practice, piano lessons. The size for us family of 4 is perfect. The gas mileage is pretty good for a van. We average around 25 mpg, up to 30mpg on long road trips. We wish there were similar sized newer models but the Mazda5 is a bit cramped. All other vans are huge and gas-guzzling. We are keeping this one until they bring over the JDM Odyssey or Honda Stream. One thing to remember is to replace the oil cooler o-ring. Also Honda ATF every 15K would ward off transmission issues.

Favorite Features

Perfect size for family of 4. Holds a ton of stuff. We have carried 4 kayaks on top, with 4 bikes on a trailer hitch. Pre-wired for towing: we tow a small sailboat with ours.

Great car!
By suswaski

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

I bought this car because I wanted a mini van that had four real opening doors- I love the size of it, decent power and gas mileage, very versatile vehicle, super reliable. I have driven mine about 4 years now on a Salvage title- I was hit by a teenage driver and my car was "totalled" due to the costs of the repair- I have almost 180,000 miles on the car and it is still going strong! I bought it with about 88,000 miles on it. i only wish it came in a AWD, and that they still made these cars-- I don't know what I will buy when it finally dies. :(

Favorite Features

4 real doors lots of storage fold down seats 2nd row captains chairs good vision of road RELIABILITY

Suggested Improvements

AWD Bring them back!

Bring them back Honda
By A Missourian

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

After reading numerous reviews on Volvos, Subarus, and old Mercedes diesels, we found out about the 1995-1998 Honda Odysseys. Talk about a car ahead of its time! The 1998 model came with the 2.3L 4-cylinder VTEC, which has excellent V6-like power. These 1st Gens were still made in Japan, and were built from the Accord platform (with the same engine).... because of that, the trannys are much better than what was found in the early 2nd Gen model (1999-2001). We have had ours for a few months, and it has been the best car we have ever owned! I switched to synthetic oil/filter, and get 31+ MPG highway on a tank! No gas car made in '09 that seats 7 can even match that!

Favorite Features

7 passenger seating with 31+ mpg and rock-solid reliability. Engine bay very easy to work on for a minivan. Excellent stowable rear seats. Drives like a car (Accord platform).

Suggested Improvements

Bring the smaller minivan back to the States Honda, with even better MPG!

Was good but no more
By A worker

1998 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

Ours was a 98 LX. We owned it for 11 years. It ran smooth with conservative look and practical interior design. It was little lack on power and loud when speedup but was just functioning well. However, we are not that lucky as the owners here. Our Odyssey's engine started to make noise a few weeks ago. 2 different mechanics said the same things, transmission was about to die. But it only had less than 90k miles! How could it be? We did all required oil change and timely maintenance. Thought we could drive it for 20 years. Traded in and bought a Toyota Highlander Sport. It's just different in all respects.

Favorite Features

7 seats, not too big size, smooth and not loud on regular cruising

Suggested Improvements

Hope Honda does better on transmission for newer models.