1998 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
14 years old and going strong
By chenster on 09/10/12 16:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

We bought this car 8 years ago when we found out we were having twins. The boys came home from the hospital in the van. Now they are carted around to school, soccer practice, piano lessons. The size for us family of 4 is perfect. The gas mileage is pretty good for a van. We average around 25 mpg, up to 30mpg on long road trips. We wish there were similar sized newer models but the Mazda5 is a bit cramped. All other vans are huge and gas-guzzling. We are keeping this one until they bring over the JDM Odyssey or Honda Stream. One thing to remember is to replace the oil cooler o-ring. Also Honda ATF every 15K would ward off transmission issues.

Great car!
By suswaski on 05/23/12 21:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I bought this car because I wanted a mini van that had four real opening doors- I love the size of it, decent power and gas mileage, very versatile vehicle, super reliable. I have driven mine about 4 years now on a Salvage title- I was hit by a teenage driver and my car was "totalled" due to the costs of the repair- I have almost 180,000 miles on the car and it is still going strong! I bought it with about 88,000 miles on it. i only wish it came in a AWD, and that they still made these cars-- I don't know what I will buy when it finally dies. :(

Bring them back Honda
By A Missourian on 07/03/09 22:02 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

After reading numerous reviews on Volvos, Subarus, and old Mercedes diesels, we found out about the 1995-1998 Honda Odysseys. Talk about a car ahead of its time! The 1998 model came with the 2.3L 4-cylinder VTEC, which has excellent V6-like power. These 1st Gens were still made in Japan, and were built from the Accord platform (with the same engine).... because of that, the trannys are much better than what was found in the early 2nd Gen model (1999-2001). We have had ours for a few months, and it has been the best car we have ever owned! I switched to synthetic oil/filter, and get 31+ MPG highway on a tank! No gas car made in '09 that seats 7 can even match that!

Was good but no more
By A worker on 04/15/09 14:53 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Ours was a 98 LX. We owned it for 11 years. It ran smooth with conservative look and practical interior design. It was little lack on power and loud when speedup but was just functioning well. However, we are not that lucky as the owners here. Our Odyssey's engine started to make noise a few weeks ago. 2 different mechanics said the same things, transmission was about to die. But it only had less than 90k miles! How could it be? We did all required oil change and timely maintenance. Thought we could drive it for 20 years. Traded in and bought a Toyota Highlander Sport. It's just different in all respects.

Best minivan ever!
By Best Minivan EVER on 07/06/08 08:59 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I bought this van only 3 years ago, and on average I've driven it 60,000 km/year which is a lot. Right now it has 320,000 km and I've never received a single $5 dollar bulb replacement. I do oil change every 10,000 km (which is late) and it still drives like its brand new. I love the 4 cylinder engine while I save on gas- they should make more of these even though they weren't famous at its time because gas was cheap back then. The 4 cylinder v tech is amazingly powerful

98 Odyssey
By Darrell on 11/21/07 13:47 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Have driven for 10 years and am very pleased with the service I have gotten from this Honda.

Love My Van, But 3 Repairs 1 Yr
By 98Ody on 04/21/07 12:17 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I bought my van last summer. Overall I love it. It's fuel efficient, the interior is comfortable, 2.3L engine gives good acceleration, and the exterior is very practical. I bought the car with 130K miles. I have put 12K miles since purchase. Repairs have included starter motor ($300) and rebuilt transmission ($1500). Also, I am having trouble turning the key in the ignition so I might need new ignition switch ($???) or key replacement ($80). Have you noticed the 2007 Honda FIT has similar body styling? The 1998 Odyssey was definitely way beyond its time.

'98 Honda Odyssey
By kerrykelty on 06/28/05 17:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Great Gas Mileage Unbelievable cargo space because rear seats fold flat and away Compact Size makes for easy driving and parking in the city Unbelievable repair record Body structure and paint are made so well, it still looks like new Four conventional doors make for easy passenger exit from the back (especially for youngsters who often cannot open the larger sliding doors)

Probably one of the best cars ever made
By johnnyVDO on 06/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I bought my Odyssey because it had the highest reliability rating of any vehicle in Consumer Reports and because I've had good luck in the past with Honda's. After 80,000 miles the car is still tight and nothing has broken. The only time I went to the dealer was to get a front brake job at 50,000 miles. I also went through a set of tires and a battery. Other than maintenance, the car has cost me $0.00 to repair! WOW! I get about 22 mpg around town and the car handles like a sedan with independent suspension and 4 wheel disk brakes. Fantastic car! No wonder the resale value is so high.

Solid, reliable, practical
By BS-NY on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Is it a sports car? No, it's a minivan. And it's about as good as they get. The older model -- slightly smaller than the new one introduced in 1999 -- is more car-like in its size, handling, exit/egress and ride than any other minivan you'll drive, including the newer Odysseys. It's reliable. It's economical. It's safe. So what if it's just a little bit boring?