Used 1998 Honda Odyssey EX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Ahead of its time
By john

1998 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

We have owner this small van for 1-1/2 years. Purchased from original owners who only put 72,000 miles on it in the 8 years they owned it. It handles really well and is surprisingly good in the Maine snow. The car feels solid and is relatively heavy for its size. Nevertheless, the 4 cylinder VTEC engine provides nice power when needed. And when we drive conservatively, we have been able to squeeze 30 mpg. If Honda had offered a 5 speed manual for this vehicle, it would be our dream car. And, I know we could bump the gas mileage up a couple MPG. HINT TO HONDA: Bring back this wonderful ahead of its time car!! HINT TO TOYOTA: Bring back the remarkable Corolla All-trac wagon!!

Perfect size Comfortable and sure ride. Good in snow Good gas mileage for size of car Rear A/C Good visibility Front seat arm rests

If only there had been an available a 5 Speed manual transmission. This should still be offered as a 4 cyl VTEC "cross over" vehicle. The newer Odyssey is way too big for us, and our CRV doesn't have quite enough room.

Extremely impressed
By jaw

1998 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

Super van, very reliable, only two parts broke over 11 years of constant use: starter motor and a cast iron header pipe cracked, both rare. Our van has 322,000kms, or over 193,000miles, with super Honda v-tec 2.3 liter engine: good low end torque for it's size, and great power up top if you need it (150 horse). It's much lighter than other vans so it outperforms even 3.0 liter Nissan's and other vans. I get over 30 miles per gallon highway, but run hard tires and 0W-30 amsoil. With a tranny cooler I've towed all across North America. It has lots of life left, it handles very nicely for a van too, much better than any other I've ever driven. Like a car. Great small van, ahead of its time.

The styling for a minivan is very classy, and tight. The versatile seats that fold into the floor or out of the way are very handy. Very reliable, great gas mileage: when gas is 5 bucks a gallon these vans will be worth lots and you won't be able to give away your SUV.

A better quality audio system perhaps, and a center console or net. Not much to complain about in general.

Solidly Built, 6 Seater Car/Van
By Chris

1998 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

Closer to a 6 seat car than a van. A "crossover" ahead of it's time. Power: Surprising. Wind the tach and the car moves "good enough". I turned in an '04 3.8 Grand Caravan and I like the characteristics of the 98 Odyssey better. Mileage: Average. I get 21mpg. Steering: Drives like an Accord, but slightly heavier feel (because it is). Above average for a "van". Reliability: Zero unscheduled fixes to date. Interior: Below average. Cupholders useless(verey small), and no center console means drinks sit on passenger seat or lap. Some controls not lit at night; dash is very dim. Not enough storage bins. Sound: Poor, worst sound of any car I've owned.

1) Reliability/Cost Of Ownership 2) Surprising VTEC Performance 3) Visibility/Driving Characterisics. I can see better out of this vehicle than any car I've ever owned. 4) 3rd row seat is easier to fold after 10 years than even the newest Chrysler Stow N Go design.

Cupholders are atrocious. Factory stereo is atrocious. Needs more storage bins. Needs larger fuel tank (only 270mi between fill ups). Needs better lit controls for night driving.

Wish they'd still import it
By Honda/Toyota Owner

1998 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

We love this little minivan. We bought it to replace or beloved 1996 Odyssey that was stolen last year. The 1998 with the VTEC is even more zippy than previous years. This is the most car-like of minivans. It 's basically a large Accord with more comfortable seating and better visibility. The newer Odyssey's simply don't feel as agile as these smaller Japanese vans. Although they have more room and more power. Our 2003 Element with its similar weight and power seems less zippy, gets slightly lower gas mileage, seats less and has significantly worse visibility. I bought it to keep the miles off of the more versatile Odyssey. I wish Honda would still import these.

Car-like behavior

Keep importing the smaller Japanese-built Odyssey

9 Years Old and Going Strong
By Elizabeth

1998 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

I love my 1998 Odyssey! It's 9 years old and has never given me any trouble. I currently have 110,000 miles on it, and aside from routine maintenance, I never have a concern. It is boring to drive, but it never pretended to be a sports car. It is very comfortable, and I wish Honda still made them this size. I would buy another one. Sometimes I wish it would die, so I could get something sportier, but then common sense kicks in and I remember what a great investment this vehicle was/is! I hope I can get another 100,000 miles out of it.

Small size, great maneuverability, easy to park, great gas mileage (25 city, maybe 27 highway), quiet engine, flexible interior.

Well, they took care of this with the newer Odyssey models, but I would have liked the sliding doors.