Used 1998 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Most Helpful|
Love My Van, But 3 Repairs 1 Yr
By 98Ody

1998 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I bought my van last summer. Overall I love it. It's fuel efficient, the interior is comfortable, 2.3L engine gives good acceleration, and the exterior is very practical. I bought the car with 130K miles. I have put 12K miles since purchase. Repairs have included starter motor ($300) and rebuilt transmission ($1500). Also, I am having trouble turning the key in the ignition so I might need new ignition switch ($???) or key replacement ($80). Have you noticed the 2007 Honda FIT has similar body styling? The 1998 Odyssey was definitely way beyond its time.

Favorite Features

Fold down rear seats, 2.3L engine, optional 4 captain chairs.

Was good but no more
By A worker

1998 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Ours was a 98 LX. We owned it for 11 years. It ran smooth with conservative look and practical interior design. It was little lack on power and loud when speedup but was just functioning well. However, we are not that lucky as the owners here. Our Odyssey's engine started to make noise a few weeks ago. 2 different mechanics said the same things, transmission was about to die. But it only had less than 90k miles! How could it be? We did all required oil change and timely maintenance. Thought we could drive it for 20 years. Traded in and bought a Toyota Highlander Sport. It's just different in all respects.

Favorite Features

7 seats, not too big size, smooth and not loud on regular cruising

Suggested Improvements

Hope Honda does better on transmission for newer models.

Solidly Built, 6 Seater Car/Van
By Chris

1998 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

Closer to a 6 seat car than a van. A "crossover" ahead of it's time. Power: Surprising. Wind the tach and the car moves "good enough". I turned in an '04 3.8 Grand Caravan and I like the characteristics of the 98 Odyssey better. Mileage: Average. I get 21mpg. Steering: Drives like an Accord, but slightly heavier feel (because it is). Above average for a "van". Reliability: Zero unscheduled fixes to date. Interior: Below average. Cupholders useless(verey small), and no center console means drinks sit on passenger seat or lap. Some controls not lit at night; dash is very dim. Not enough storage bins. Sound: Poor, worst sound of any car I've owned.

Favorite Features

1) Reliability/Cost Of Ownership 2) Surprising VTEC Performance 3) Visibility/Driving Characterisics. I can see better out of this vehicle than any car I've ever owned. 4) 3rd row seat is easier to fold after 10 years than even the newest Chrysler Stow N Go design.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders are atrocious. Factory stereo is atrocious. Needs more storage bins. Needs larger fuel tank (only 270mi between fill ups). Needs better lit controls for night driving.

Ahead of its time
By john

1998 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

We have owner this small van for 1-1/2 years. Purchased from original owners who only put 72,000 miles on it in the 8 years they owned it. It handles really well and is surprisingly good in the Maine snow. The car feels solid and is relatively heavy for its size. Nevertheless, the 4 cylinder VTEC engine provides nice power when needed. And when we drive conservatively, we have been able to squeeze 30 mpg. If Honda had offered a 5 speed manual for this vehicle, it would be our dream car. And, I know we could bump the gas mileage up a couple MPG. HINT TO HONDA: Bring back this wonderful ahead of its time car!! HINT TO TOYOTA: Bring back the remarkable Corolla All-trac wagon!!

Favorite Features

Perfect size Comfortable and sure ride. Good in snow Good gas mileage for size of car Rear A/C Good visibility Front seat arm rests

Suggested Improvements

If only there had been an available a 5 Speed manual transmission. This should still be offered as a 4 cyl VTEC "cross over" vehicle. The newer Odyssey is way too big for us, and our CRV doesn't have quite enough room.

Best minivan ever!
By Best Minivan EVER

1998 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I bought this van only 3 years ago, and on average I've driven it 60,000 km/year which is a lot. Right now it has 320,000 km and I've never received a single $5 dollar bulb replacement. I do oil change every 10,000 km (which is late) and it still drives like its brand new. I love the 4 cylinder engine while I save on gas- they should make more of these even though they weren't famous at its time because gas was cheap back then. The 4 cylinder v tech is amazingly powerful

Favorite Features

seats fold flat on ground (first van with STOW N GO feature) 4 cylinder Vtech is powerful (first 4 cylinder van) Back windows roll all the way down Audio system is amazing (cd/cassette/good speakers) **RELIABILITY**

Suggested Improvements

ummm more center cup holders, a better shape......umm cant think of anything else -quieter engine