Used 1997 Honda Odyssey LX Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

War wagon just keeps going!
By Eszti

1997 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

I bought my '97 Oddy in 2000 with 27,000 miles on it. Now the odometer is at 242,000, and it just keeps going! I haven't done anything but brake work! There is now a little rust around the rear wheel well, front passenger door bottom, and under the rear bumper guard. Also the steering is getting a little loose, but heck! I love this car, and would buy another in a heart beat! There are still plenty of them out there, and their price is still way up there for a really old car. Honda made a huge mistake when they "upgraded" to the new Oddy. Nowhere near as good as the old one. I understand the Honda Stream, available in Japan and maybe Europe, is very similar. Why can't we get that here?

Favorite Features

Smallish car-like design, 4 doors, not a minivan. 25 mpg average. As roomy as many much larger cars, with a very usable third row seat that disappears into the floor. Excellent quality and value.

Suggested Improvements

A tachometer would be nice to have.

Quality
By reliable

1997 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

Reliable, efficient, quality. Much better than newer model, drive up the Rocky mountain with speed 70 and drive very stable in the snow, never had any problems or die on me.

I Call Her "Olivia" :)
By nanamcal

1997 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

I purchased my Odyssey in 1999 w/ 29K on her. She now has 154K on the engine. She is like a trusted old friend. She even survived a flood in 2005 at 127K with water in the engine. I had to wait a month for the carpet to be cut for her back then. She survived! When the water was blown out of the engine by my Ace mechanic; I was told it was one tough little engine. Timing belt change; new rear shocks from all the loads she carried. Brakes last forever on this little dynamo!. I dread the day I have to give her up. Great resale value still. Would buy another in a heartbeat! They don't make them like her anymore!! Built in Japan to LAST! Hope to keep her for another 150K

Favorite Features

Stops on a dime. Dependable. Good visibility on the road. mpg 21 city, 26-28 highway. Four doors! Rides like an accord due to accord chassy. only wish I got the EX with the sunroof.

Love My Odyssey
By nanamcal

1997 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

I bought her used in 1999 with 30,000 miles on her. She now has 155K, after 12 years of faithful service, and due to harsh N. E winters rust is the enemy now. She survived a flood in 2005 and the engine is still as sound as ever. I've maintained her with regular oil changes and aside from a timing belt, a new radiator and rear shocks, she has been good as gold to me. Her dynamic engine even survived a flood. Honda tough. Built in Japan. I now finally need to replace a pipe on the exhaust. These four door vans are the best, wish I could keep her another 100K! If you find one down south minus the rust grab it! I will. Best car I ever owned!

Favorite Features

Drop down rear seats. Middle ones come out. Great for moving !! Love the four doors, unlike sliders on regular vans. Roomy and comfortable ride on a Honda chassy. Great handling. Great brakes. Hatch door in rear. Great for moving bigger objects. Great visibility.

Suggested Improvements

None. They were the best design.

Great Vehicle
By Racer X

1997 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

Bought this van used from a private owner, has some high miles on it, but after hearing it, driving it, and drove it hard, to see how it responded to my testing, I'm pretty impressed on the solid sound and ride the Honda drove. I've owned a 1994 Honda wagon and I really liked the car, it was solid and had no what so ever any problems on the engine or drive train, it had hi miles on it and now that we have grand kids and need that extra room and have a the best a van can have on mpg of 24 city/29 hwy. Mixed 27. Kid you not, why, clean your injectors, set your spark plug cap to engine specs, tire pressure, and a good tuneup on the valve tappets and timing, you can achieve this kind of performance.

Favorite Features

Fold down third seating, tire placement and tools storage. Captains chairs, not too big in size, it is really smaller than the smallest mini van there is. Drive like a Honda accord on steroids, maps lights, 2 glove box and 2 mirror lighting visors, electric seats, easy removal of secondary seats and light.

Suggested Improvements

There's really not much of improvements other than it's a 4 cyl, and it does get you by entering the freeway, I hear people complaining about get up and go, what do you want, maybe turbo charging the 4 banger might help, do not complain about power, if you take care of your ride and give it a tune up.