Used 1997 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Love My Odyssey
By nanamcal

1997 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

I bought her used in 1999 with 30,000 miles on her. She now has 155K, after 12 years of faithful service, and due to harsh N. E winters rust is the enemy now. She survived a flood in 2005 and the engine is still as sound as ever. I've maintained her with regular oil changes and aside from a timing belt, a new radiator and rear shocks, she has been good as gold to me. Her dynamic engine even survived a flood. Honda tough. Built in Japan. I now finally need to replace a pipe on the exhaust. These four door vans are the best, wish I could keep her another 100K! If you find one down south minus the rust grab it! I will. Best car I ever owned!

Favorite Features

Drop down rear seats. Middle ones come out. Great for moving !! Love the four doors, unlike sliders on regular vans. Roomy and comfortable ride on a Honda chassy. Great handling. Great brakes. Hatch door in rear. Great for moving bigger objects. Great visibility.

Suggested Improvements

None. They were the best design.

I Call Her "Olivia" :)
By nanamcal

1997 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

I purchased my Odyssey in 1999 w/ 29K on her. She now has 154K on the engine. She is like a trusted old friend. She even survived a flood in 2005 at 127K with water in the engine. I had to wait a month for the carpet to be cut for her back then. She survived! When the water was blown out of the engine by my Ace mechanic; I was told it was one tough little engine. Timing belt change; new rear shocks from all the loads she carried. Brakes last forever on this little dynamo!. I dread the day I have to give her up. Great resale value still. Would buy another in a heartbeat! They don't make them like her anymore!! Built in Japan to LAST! Hope to keep her for another 150K

Favorite Features

Stops on a dime. Dependable. Good visibility on the road. mpg 21 city, 26-28 highway. Four doors! Rides like an accord due to accord chassy. only wish I got the EX with the sunroof.

Far more advanced then other vans
By Ruchy

1997 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

We bought this van for $500, yes it needed work ( suspension ), it does have 259k on it. Why any one would buy another van is beyond me, if you have $3k to spend pick one up, even if it has a lot of miles. This van is FAR MORE advanced than anything from this year all the way up until now. The ride is great, the gas mileage is superior even to anything now, for a 6-7 passenger vehicle. I wish they still had them but Honda decided to use a 6 cylinder, boo-hoo. I call this car a wagon on steroids, we take it when we go on any outings because it is very comfy and roomy. Drive one, you'll buy it.

Favorite Features

gas consumption, stow and go 3rd seat, 4 doors, not sliders it doesn't feel like a "mini" van. Front and rear air, leg room for all seats.

Suggested Improvements

Bring them back asap!

War wagon just keeps going!
By Eszti

1997 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

I bought my '97 Oddy in 2000 with 27,000 miles on it. Now the odometer is at 242,000, and it just keeps going! I haven't done anything but brake work! There is now a little rust around the rear wheel well, front passenger door bottom, and under the rear bumper guard. Also the steering is getting a little loose, but heck! I love this car, and would buy another in a heart beat! There are still plenty of them out there, and their price is still way up there for a really old car. Honda made a huge mistake when they "upgraded" to the new Oddy. Nowhere near as good as the old one. I understand the Honda Stream, available in Japan and maybe Europe, is very similar. Why can't we get that here?

Favorite Features

Smallish car-like design, 4 doors, not a minivan. 25 mpg average. As roomy as many much larger cars, with a very usable third row seat that disappears into the floor. Excellent quality and value.

Suggested Improvements

A tachometer would be nice to have.

Quality
By reliable

1997 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

Reliable, efficient, quality. Much better than newer model, drive up the Rocky mountain with speed 70 and drive very stable in the snow, never had any problems or die on me.