1997 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Love My Odyssey
By nanamcal on 10/26/11 19:16 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I bought her used in 1999 with 30,000 miles on her. She now has 155K, after 12 years of faithful service, and due to harsh N. E winters rust is the enemy now. She survived a flood in 2005 and the engine is still as sound as ever. I've maintained her with regular oil changes and aside from a timing belt, a new radiator and rear shocks, she has been good as gold to me. Her dynamic engine even survived a flood. Honda tough. Built in Japan. I now finally need to replace a pipe on the exhaust. These four door vans are the best, wish I could keep her another 100K! If you find one down south minus the rust grab it! I will. Best car I ever owned!

I Call Her "Olivia" :)
By nanamcal on 07/19/11 13:02 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I purchased my Odyssey in 1999 w/ 29K on her. She now has 154K on the engine. She is like a trusted old friend. She even survived a flood in 2005 at 127K with water in the engine. I had to wait a month for the carpet to be cut for her back then. She survived! When the water was blown out of the engine by my Ace mechanic; I was told it was one tough little engine. Timing belt change; new rear shocks from all the loads she carried. Brakes last forever on this little dynamo!. I dread the day I have to give her up. Great resale value still. Would buy another in a heartbeat! They don't make them like her anymore!! Built in Japan to LAST! Hope to keep her for another 150K

War wagon just keeps going!
By Eszti on 04/28/10 10:17 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I bought my '97 Oddy in 2000 with 27,000 miles on it. Now the odometer is at 242,000, and it just keeps going! I haven't done anything but brake work! There is now a little rust around the rear wheel well, front passenger door bottom, and under the rear bumper guard. Also the steering is getting a little loose, but heck! I love this car, and would buy another in a heart beat! There are still plenty of them out there, and their price is still way up there for a really old car. Honda made a huge mistake when they "upgraded" to the new Oddy. Nowhere near as good as the old one. I understand the Honda Stream, available in Japan and maybe Europe, is very similar. Why can't we get that here?

Quality
By reliable on 04/21/10 22:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Reliable, efficient, quality. Much better than newer model, drive up the Rocky mountain with speed 70 and drive very stable in the snow, never had any problems or die on me.

Great Vehicle
By Racer X on 08/06/09 20:00 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Bought this van used from a private owner, has some high miles on it, but after hearing it, driving it, and drove it hard, to see how it responded to my testing, I'm pretty impressed on the solid sound and ride the Honda drove. I've owned a 1994 Honda wagon and I really liked the car, it was solid and had no what so ever any problems on the engine or drive train, it had hi miles on it and now that we have grand kids and need that extra room and have a the best a van can have on mpg of 24 city/29 hwy. Mixed 27. Kid you not, why, clean your injectors, set your spark plug cap to engine specs, tire pressure, and a good tuneup on the valve tappets and timing, you can achieve this kind of performance.

Great Deal
By Oddly Odyssey on 06/04/08 06:13 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I purchased this Ody with 222k on it and is possibly best deal I have had. Have been through numerous new cars and used cars and I think this is my best deal. This Ody was a Honda fleet vehicle from Marysville and then purchased by Honda exec. driven for 7 years with 3 boys. I purchased because former owner bought a new Ody from Manufacturer. Works GREAT for me! Both Honda and owner kept EVERY maintenance record. I have all that now and keeping up the trend. Everything still works. Hopefully I can still have this feeling in a year or 2. Thanks Honda!

Old Faithful
By 1997 Honda Odyssey on 07/14/07 18:10 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

This van has been like a family pet. It is as tough as a bull, easy to drive, and has never let us down. My only complaint is the paint job. Our old van is looking pretty ratty as the paint deteriorates. We are considering a paint job, rather than getting a new one.

Family Van
By jim on 04/15/07 10:55 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Gas oil new brake shoes and tires. Thats about it for 200k + mi. absolutely no problems always starts first crank of the key and better than 20 mpg no matter what you do - what more can you ask for?

wow!
By hot mama on 12/04/05 18:55 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

This has been a fabulous car for a small family. It is so easy to drive and so easy to get the family comfortable in. The rear seat is so easy to lift up and folds flat into the floor so I feel like I'm driving an SUV instead of a van!

Tank
By Robert on 04/27/05 23:00 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I purchased this van to haul my police K-9 to work and back. I paid 8k for it with 100,000 miles. Let me be honest, I beat the hell out of this car every day. 85mph+ to work on a daily basis. YES, it may take a while to get up to that speed, But I can fly like that all day. Still get 21 mpg. Regular oil change and new tires is all this TANK needs. 155,000 on it now and 100k to go. Honda can make a car that lasts.