1996 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
An absolute trooper
By cmcgol01 on 10/13/13 20:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

This car is - without question - a member of the family. Reliable, affordable, and enjoyable. The value to me in 10x that of its KBB...picture the sturdiest of Accord engines on a frame that allows for 6 passengers and luggage, or 2 people and enough square footage to pack up and move cross country. I really don't know know what to say; we call him Homer, he's there when we need him, and all he asks fresh oil and some general love. I'm at 170K and expect to see 250K before we move on.

198,000 Owned for 164 Months!
By chrissy on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

198,000 miles 14 years later. This was my first and only "new" vehicle. I don't want another "new" one. Dependable! Dependable! Dependable! We have taken care of her--timing belts replaced (preventative maintenance) at 63,000 and 146,000. At 198k now, we are planning another belt at 219k---without a doubt! A few years ago, in the winter, I let her 'warm up' for about 20-30 minutes. Mistake! she blew a tiny 'o' ring. oil everywhere. I shut her down. got her to the shop/ paid hundreds for the repair. The door locks have a mind of their own-so what. The valve cover gasket was replaced a few years ago and around 1999 we had to replace a seal in a tail light. She is awesome!

Reliable workhorse
By Odyssey Driver on 06/07/10 04:53 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

For a large vehicle it performs superbly. Accelerates and powers up hills well, handles cornering nimbly, performs braking well. Parking is easy, visibility through windows and mirrors is excellent for a wide, long vehicle. Fold down seats creates enormous capacity for transporting items. Seats are comfortable. Controls are within acceptable reach. Excellent sized, solid family car.

I cant decide
By happyhippieinmymini on 03/05/10 10:57 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

This Mini Van was my first car. I got it when it only had 125,000 miles on it and now she has 190,000 and still running. I have had some trouble with the radiator and oil leaking. I am considering selling her for scion xA or Toyota Matrix but this car has overall been great!

Perfect Van
By Darryl on 09/27/09 21:48 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

I have 330000 kms on mine and it still runs perfect. If you look under it it has no rust as well. I would guess that it will go another 300000kms before I would have to retire it.

Quality Honda pseudo-van
By Miller5 on 03/02/06 19:50 PM (PST)

1996 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

After 3 years of ownership this van has 145,000 and still runs great. First, the negatives, most of which we were aware of before we bought it: limited cargo room and wimpy 4-cyl engine. But those negatives make way for the positives: small maneuverable van that gets 22c/26h mpg...very nice stying that we get comments on all the time. Also, this van is very well made and has needed minimal maintenance. In addition to the usual happy comments I'll add that the EX model has a wonderful stereo system. Get a $80 roof rack from JC Whitney and it'll take care of your cargo problems. Other issues : oil leak; door locks have a mind of their own; ABS light issues...but overall it's a solid van.

Best Compromise Vehicle
By loon ranger on 08/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Bought used and averaged 22000 miles/yr for next 4 years. Love the car and the room. Service costs are a bit high, but no major repairs. ABS light reset is only repair at 117,000 miles. Perfect vehicle for long trips with 4 tall people. Versitility is outstanding, hauled all kinds of "stuff". Think of it more as a "tall wagon" than a minivan. Trying to keep it in excellent condition because they don't sell the same size any more.

Great car
By Pcflorida on 12/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Great car. Even pulled a 1200 pound boat a few miles back and forth to the lake.

Question ?
By avest on 12/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

At about 105000 miles my ABS light came on and stayed on for a while. then went off. but when it went off and we stopped the brakes felt like they were seizing on us. We have no clue what it was. Have any of you had these problems?

Love This Car
By pvest on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

Six years ago we bought our 1996 Honda Odyssey EX throught the years we have loved it no major problems except the locks keep locking and the oil light coming on it has been perfect. We have loved it and will be dissapointed when we sellit.