Used 1996 Honda Odyssey EX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

1996 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

An absolute trooper
By cmcgol01

1996 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

This car is - without question - a member of the family. Reliable, affordable, and enjoyable. The value to me in 10x that of its KBB...picture the sturdiest of Accord engines on a frame that allows for 6 passengers and luggage, or 2 people and enough square footage to pack up and move cross country. I really don't know know what to say; we call him Homer, he's there when we need him, and all he asks fresh oil and some general love. I'm at 170K and expect to see 250K before we move on.

Favorite Features

Reliable Accord engine, NO blind spots, super easy 3rd row seating, storage and management of up to 6 people and their luggage without batting an eyelash.

Suggested Improvements

None. Honda ruined this mega versatile auto by turning it into a standard minivan. I'm sure it is still great, but the things I love about this car no longer exist. If this had an AWD option then or now, things might be even better.

198,000 Owned for 164 Months!
By chrissy

1996 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

198,000 miles 14 years later. This was my first and only "new" vehicle. I don't want another "new" one. Dependable! Dependable! Dependable! We have taken care of her--timing belts replaced (preventative maintenance) at 63,000 and 146,000. At 198k now, we are planning another belt at 219k---without a doubt! A few years ago, in the winter, I let her 'warm up' for about 20-30 minutes. Mistake! she blew a tiny 'o' ring. oil everywhere. I shut her down. got her to the shop/ paid hundreds for the repair. The door locks have a mind of their own-so what. The valve cover gasket was replaced a few years ago and around 1999 we had to replace a seal in a tail light. She is awesome!

Favorite Features

Goes and goes and goes and goes! She is fun to drive. Easy to get it. Great driver viewing. She's a Honda!

Suggested Improvements

No nitpicking from me

Reliable workhorse
By Odyssey Driver

1996 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

For a large vehicle it performs superbly. Accelerates and powers up hills well, handles cornering nimbly, performs braking well. Parking is easy, visibility through windows and mirrors is excellent for a wide, long vehicle. Fold down seats creates enormous capacity for transporting items. Seats are comfortable. Controls are within acceptable reach. Excellent sized, solid family car.

Favorite Features

6 cup holders. Large conventional car doors. Middle seats fold away for extra leg room for back row. No central gearshift, allowing more room between driver and passenger. Rear sunroof. Outward motioning wipers cover most of the windshield.

Suggested Improvements

Remove space saver tire inside the car, and replace with full sized tire, possibly on the underside of the car. 2WD/4WD select option. Tiptronic. Double/larger rear windscreen wipers. Wiper speed ctrl. Rev counter. Electronic headlamp adjuster. Manual trans.

I cant decide
By happyhippieinmymini

1996 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

This Mini Van was my first car. I got it when it only had 125,000 miles on it and now she has 190,000 and still running. I have had some trouble with the radiator and oil leaking. I am considering selling her for scion xA or Toyota Matrix but this car has overall been great!

Favorite Features

Fold down seats in the back! I have slept in this car numerous times.

Suggested Improvements

The vents always pop out :(

Perfect Van
By Darryl

1996 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

I have 330000 kms on mine and it still runs perfect. If you look under it it has no rust as well. I would guess that it will go another 300000kms before I would have to retire it.

Favorite Features

I like the 4 cylinder engine and transmission design. The suspension in it is set up better than the newer ones.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders (front)