1996 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
I love my Oddessy
By luvmyoddy on 10/21/13 08:20 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I bought this car in 2001 from a Honda car dealer in Harrisonburg,VA and still driving it! It now has 245K miles on it. It's the most reliable car I ever own, no roadside breakdowns that I can think of since I owned it. Changed timing belt twice, and it keeps going and going.

Best Car Ever
By smalbanian on 10/17/11 05:26 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

We just wrecked and lost the best car ever, the 1996 Honda Odyssey. We have been looking for a new car replacement for several months, but nothing compares. Today's vans are gigantic by comparison and have those stupid sliding doors. Absolutely nothing today under $60K has seats as comfortable as the FOUR captains chairs in our 96 Odyssey. Closest available today are the Mazda5 or Toyota Hylander, but for long trips, we will have to live without the luxury seating of our 96 Odyssey. Only reason we are not just finding another 96 Odyssey is that the new cars have all those airbags and other safety features. Boo hoo.

Outstanding SUV
By hondaman2 on 05/09/10 08:19 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

4 bangers" (2.2l. Engine) but lots of hp. Just like the "energizer bunny". Keeps "going, n going, n going "with minimum maintenance (oil change/s, etc.). Only issue is the "abs" light (bad brakes sensor/s?) kept turning on after getting "fixed" a year later. Minimal rust showing for a 14-15 yrs. Old van. Driven 5 times from Chicago to Florida and back with no leaks, issues, etc. Negative/s?Hard to find used parts in auto salvage junkyards (there is none in il.). Just like my wife, "sometimes" boring but very dependable, trustworthy, and "perky." I guessed I'll keep her than trade her in for newer/"younger" ones (my '96 Odyssey lolz). Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with my '96 Odyssey. It's a 9 out of 10.

Amazing little van
By Flopek on 08/14/09 07:28 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

We bought our Odyssey over 3 years ago with the addition of a new family member (with 5 you have to make the jump to a "mom mobile" or SUV). We didn't have the budget for anything too fancy, but when we came across a used '96 Odyssey, we were sold after simply looking at it and test driving compared to all the other vans we were looking at. At the time it had 95K, and we've put an additional 30k. Very reliable.I changed the timing belt as a precaution. I've simply changed the oil and put good gas in it, no cheap swamp gas stations. I replaced the rear shocks and exhaust manifold since they finally failed after 13 years of service. Repairs less than $200-$400 when I do it myself, very easy.

Love My Odyssey
By Lee on 05/13/09 09:39 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I have 180,000 miles on my Odyssey. I will keep driving it until it dies. We love the seat arrangement-use the fold down back seat. My grandkids love to sit in the "wayback" seat. My kids drove it all through high school and it is still going strong. The interior and exterior still look great. No one believes it is as old as it is. Door locks have a mind of their own. Added a satellite radio a few years ago.

Keeps going and going and going
By Joy on 02/06/09 09:12 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

We've owned our Odyssey for 13 years and 237,000 miles. Only had to have minor repairs done, such as replacing the heater switch. No major problems with the engine. The automatic door locks quit working, but it still locks manually, so didn't get that fixed. Still has plenty of pep for getting onto the interstate, going up steep hills. Most comfortable vehicle we've ever owned, and there seems to be a place for everything. Back row seats fold down into floor, middle row folds forward for lots of cargo space. As easy to park and make U-turns as a mid- sized car. Good rear view for backing up. Easy to get in and out of, including back seats, with regular car doors, not sliding. Seats 7 people.

keeps running
By block1974 on 05/09/08 17:51 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Bought used from new Honda dealer, at the start pulled to the right, brought it back, they said they aligned it, but still pulls. Abs light came year later, but means nothing. Mechanic found major problems few months ago, but it keeps running. Air filter housing is a pain with metal screws in plastic case. You could call it early crossover. It is small and simple car. Now has 175,000 miles and no signs of slowing down.

Girl Honda lover my 3rd one now
By stover on 12/01/06 05:22 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I love this ride. When it rains when I'm on a curve no problem the car hugs the pavement. I have had 2 civics and this I love it. My mom bought one 2005 Odyssey drove deep into Mexico Twice with not even a flat tires come on. I liked that, bought one Excellent family cars I have used it for work and play & the dam thing is so rugged. It thinks its a truck actually. But yes if they made the same style again I would buy a new one I don't like the new body style. My mom bought the 2006 I hate the sliding doors and the leather seats uncomfortable. I wish the made the 2005-06 style again. Honda= Girl Car. low maintenance, good gas mileage, next new car Honda! P.S. I bought it used with 49,000 miles

will it ever die?
By hart on 05/10/06 13:42 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

we have now had this car almost 10 years- and it is still going strong! Other than normal maintenance we have never had to do anything to it. I would love to get another car just from sheer boredom of driving this one so long but I can't bring myself to spend the money when this one works great!

My Faithful Friend
By Honda RULES! on 04/28/06 21:19 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

We bought this wonderful minivan in 1996. Ever since then, the car has been faithfully serving us on all our long trips. We have gone over 150,000 miles and the car has never given us any problems. Since we had such good experiences with our Honda, we bought another one later(Pilot).