1996 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
I love my Oddessy
By luvmyoddy on 10/21/13 08:20 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I bought this car in 2001 from a Honda car dealer in Harrisonburg,VA and still driving it! It now has 245K miles on it. It's the most reliable car I ever own, no roadside breakdowns that I can think of since I owned it. Changed timing belt twice, and it keeps going and going.

An absolute trooper
By cmcgol01 on 10/13/13 20:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

This car is - without question - a member of the family. Reliable, affordable, and enjoyable. The value to me in 10x that of its KBB...picture the sturdiest of Accord engines on a frame that allows for 6 passengers and luggage, or 2 people and enough square footage to pack up and move cross country. I really don't know know what to say; we call him Homer, he's there when we need him, and all he asks fresh oil and some general love. I'm at 170K and expect to see 250K before we move on.

Best Car Ever
By smalbanian on 10/17/11 05:26 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

We just wrecked and lost the best car ever, the 1996 Honda Odyssey. We have been looking for a new car replacement for several months, but nothing compares. Today's vans are gigantic by comparison and have those stupid sliding doors. Absolutely nothing today under $60K has seats as comfortable as the FOUR captains chairs in our 96 Odyssey. Closest available today are the Mazda5 or Toyota Hylander, but for long trips, we will have to live without the luxury seating of our 96 Odyssey. Only reason we are not just finding another 96 Odyssey is that the new cars have all those airbags and other safety features. Boo hoo.

198,000 Owned for 164 Months!
By chrissy on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

198,000 miles 14 years later. This was my first and only "new" vehicle. I don't want another "new" one. Dependable! Dependable! Dependable! We have taken care of her--timing belts replaced (preventative maintenance) at 63,000 and 146,000. At 198k now, we are planning another belt at 219k---without a doubt! A few years ago, in the winter, I let her 'warm up' for about 20-30 minutes. Mistake! she blew a tiny 'o' ring. oil everywhere. I shut her down. got her to the shop/ paid hundreds for the repair. The door locks have a mind of their own-so what. The valve cover gasket was replaced a few years ago and around 1999 we had to replace a seal in a tail light. She is awesome!

Reliable workhorse
By Odyssey Driver on 06/07/10 04:53 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

For a large vehicle it performs superbly. Accelerates and powers up hills well, handles cornering nimbly, performs braking well. Parking is easy, visibility through windows and mirrors is excellent for a wide, long vehicle. Fold down seats creates enormous capacity for transporting items. Seats are comfortable. Controls are within acceptable reach. Excellent sized, solid family car.

Outstanding SUV
By hondaman2 on 05/09/10 08:19 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

4 bangers" (2.2l. Engine) but lots of hp. Just like the "energizer bunny". Keeps "going, n going, n going "with minimum maintenance (oil change/s, etc.). Only issue is the "abs" light (bad brakes sensor/s?) kept turning on after getting "fixed" a year later. Minimal rust showing for a 14-15 yrs. Old van. Driven 5 times from Chicago to Florida and back with no leaks, issues, etc. Negative/s?Hard to find used parts in auto salvage junkyards (there is none in il.). Just like my wife, "sometimes" boring but very dependable, trustworthy, and "perky." I guessed I'll keep her than trade her in for newer/"younger" ones (my '96 Odyssey lolz). Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with my '96 Odyssey. It's a 9 out of 10.

I cant decide
By happyhippieinmymini on 03/05/10 10:57 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

This Mini Van was my first car. I got it when it only had 125,000 miles on it and now she has 190,000 and still running. I have had some trouble with the radiator and oil leaking. I am considering selling her for scion xA or Toyota Matrix but this car has overall been great!

Perfect Van
By Darryl on 09/27/09 21:48 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

I have 330000 kms on mine and it still runs perfect. If you look under it it has no rust as well. I would guess that it will go another 300000kms before I would have to retire it.

Amazing little van
By Flopek on 08/14/09 07:28 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

We bought our Odyssey over 3 years ago with the addition of a new family member (with 5 you have to make the jump to a "mom mobile" or SUV). We didn't have the budget for anything too fancy, but when we came across a used '96 Odyssey, we were sold after simply looking at it and test driving compared to all the other vans we were looking at. At the time it had 95K, and we've put an additional 30k. Very reliable.I changed the timing belt as a precaution. I've simply changed the oil and put good gas in it, no cheap swamp gas stations. I replaced the rear shocks and exhaust manifold since they finally failed after 13 years of service. Repairs less than $200-$400 when I do it myself, very easy.

Love My Odyssey
By Lee on 05/13/09 09:39 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I have 180,000 miles on my Odyssey. I will keep driving it until it dies. We love the seat arrangement-use the fold down back seat. My grandkids love to sit in the "wayback" seat. My kids drove it all through high school and it is still going strong. The interior and exterior still look great. No one believes it is as old as it is. Door locks have a mind of their own. Added a satellite radio a few years ago.