Used 1996 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

I love my Oddessy
By luvmyoddy

1996 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I bought this car in 2001 from a Honda car dealer in Harrisonburg,VA and still driving it! It now has 245K miles on it. It's the most reliable car I ever own, no roadside breakdowns that I can think of since I owned it. Changed timing belt twice, and it keeps going and going.

Favorite Features

It was love on first sight because of the 4 doors. I hate the sliding doors on mini-vans. Most new mini-vans are heavier and feels like driving a school bus. Captain seats on the front and back are my favorite features, and loves the spaciousness in the cargo area. If Honda makes a 1996 Oddessy comeback - I would be the first in line to buy one.

An absolute trooper
By cmcgol01

1996 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

This car is - without question - a member of the family. Reliable, affordable, and enjoyable. The value to me in 10x that of its KBB...picture the sturdiest of Accord engines on a frame that allows for 6 passengers and luggage, or 2 people and enough square footage to pack up and move cross country. I really don't know know what to say; we call him Homer, he's there when we need him, and all he asks fresh oil and some general love. I'm at 170K and expect to see 250K before we move on.

Favorite Features

Reliable Accord engine, NO blind spots, super easy 3rd row seating, storage and management of up to 6 people and their luggage without batting an eyelash.

Suggested Improvements

None. Honda ruined this mega versatile auto by turning it into a standard minivan. I'm sure it is still great, but the things I love about this car no longer exist. If this had an AWD option then or now, things might be even better.

Best Car Ever
By smalbanian

1996 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

We just wrecked and lost the best car ever, the 1996 Honda Odyssey. We have been looking for a new car replacement for several months, but nothing compares. Today's vans are gigantic by comparison and have those stupid sliding doors. Absolutely nothing today under $60K has seats as comfortable as the FOUR captains chairs in our 96 Odyssey. Closest available today are the Mazda5 or Toyota Hylander, but for long trips, we will have to live without the luxury seating of our 96 Odyssey. Only reason we are not just finding another 96 Odyssey is that the new cars have all those airbags and other safety features. Boo hoo.

Favorite Features

Reliability - you can count on at least 200,000 without major repairs. #1 in seating comfort in first and second rows (with optional captain's chairs in second row). Seating for 7 when needed (third row is tight). Cargo space. Van with regular doors.

Suggested Improvements

Too late for improvements, but the only down sides to this car are that it could have used a little more power (small 4) and somewhat weak A.C., both set up for the sedan on which this van is based. However, the limited horses is rarely an issue. The A.C. just takes some time to get to the back seats and is fine on long trips in scalding weather.

198,000 Owned for 164 Months!
By chrissy

1996 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

198,000 miles 14 years later. This was my first and only "new" vehicle. I don't want another "new" one. Dependable! Dependable! Dependable! We have taken care of her--timing belts replaced (preventative maintenance) at 63,000 and 146,000. At 198k now, we are planning another belt at 219k---without a doubt! A few years ago, in the winter, I let her 'warm up' for about 20-30 minutes. Mistake! she blew a tiny 'o' ring. oil everywhere. I shut her down. got her to the shop/ paid hundreds for the repair. The door locks have a mind of their own-so what. The valve cover gasket was replaced a few years ago and around 1999 we had to replace a seal in a tail light. She is awesome!

Favorite Features

Goes and goes and goes and goes! She is fun to drive. Easy to get it. Great driver viewing. She's a Honda!

Suggested Improvements

No nitpicking from me

Reliable workhorse
By Odyssey Driver

1996 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

For a large vehicle it performs superbly. Accelerates and powers up hills well, handles cornering nimbly, performs braking well. Parking is easy, visibility through windows and mirrors is excellent for a wide, long vehicle. Fold down seats creates enormous capacity for transporting items. Seats are comfortable. Controls are within acceptable reach. Excellent sized, solid family car.

Favorite Features

6 cup holders. Large conventional car doors. Middle seats fold away for extra leg room for back row. No central gearshift, allowing more room between driver and passenger. Rear sunroof. Outward motioning wipers cover most of the windshield.

Suggested Improvements

Remove space saver tire inside the car, and replace with full sized tire, possibly on the underside of the car. 2WD/4WD select option. Tiptronic. Double/larger rear windscreen wipers. Wiper speed ctrl. Rev counter. Electronic headlamp adjuster. Manual trans.