Far Exceeded Expectations
By inrva on
2013 Honda Insight EX PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I almost didn't buy it based on some of the professional reviews I read, but I decided to go by those written by real consumers, and I am glad I did. The car is flawless, fun to drive, and very will built. I has enough power to get up on the freeway and keeps up with traffic while getting over 45 mpg, and I drive it very hard. I have found the ride to be good, not harsh, and is similar to other small cars of similar weight. I am 6'3" and have plenty of room and comfort. It is not a Prius, and does not try to be. It is the original hybrid, predating the Prius. The unit is one of the few fully built in Japan, and the quality demonstrates that very well.
Favorite Features
The car has clean lines with a contemporary design that really stands out. It has a solid feel to it and is comfortable to drive on long trips. I bought the Insight over the Civic hybrid because of the cleaner design of the dash board and it was a little peppier to drive, and the MSRP was a couple of thousand cheaper as an added bonus. One of my favorite features is the hatchback with a lot of room in the back for hauling cargo, something you don't often see on a hybrid carrying batteries.
Suggested Improvements
There is very little room for improvement needed. I sometimes wonder if the professional reviewers are looking at the same car I drove, because my experience and those of other consumers was so different than what they said. I think Honda should try to market the car more, as it is a hidden gem. I suspect they sell it to keep their overall fleet gas mileage numbers up, especially in California, as opposed to it being a large money maker for them.