Honda Insight, the unknown deal
By insightdriver on
2013 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I compared several vehicles that met my requirements in a new vehicle and the Insight showed up. I had never heard of one before. Perhaps it is so unknown because Honda does not promote it. Few people are familiar with it but it meets my needs perfectly. I do not think most of the criticisms of it are fair. It is not noisy. It is comfortable. It runs smoothly and the gas mileage is terrific. The AC does turn off when the engine stops at lights, etc. but that is overcome by moving the car into Park which I do in our recent 100 degree weather. It is fun to drive. I am not a car nut. I expect my vehicles to get me where I am going as cheaply as possible. The Honda Insight LX does that.
Favorite Features
I love the mileage. It gets twice plus the mileage of my Nissan Frontier. The mileage is consistenly better than the EPA ratings. averaging over 50 mpg if I am not using the AC. It is "cute." The hatchback portion is more than adequate. Before I made my final decision, I took my two Giant Schnauzers to the dealer and tried them in the diffent models and they fit with plenty of room to spare in the Insight. The dashboard features are nice. I like the "Eco" watch to determine how efficiently I am driving.
Suggested Improvements
Perhaps a little more headroom and backseat leg space would be nice but that would also make the car less aerodynmic. If need more leg room for backseat passengers, I have my Frontier.