Used 2013 Honda Insight Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Insightful Overachiever
By theshenami

2013 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have had my Insight EX for 6 months now, and after ~6k miles driven I have come to love this little hybrid. I consistently get over 50 MPG driving through Los Angeles rush hour traffic (based on miles driven/gallons filled), despite an EPA estimated 42 MPG, while a cursory review of fuelly-dot-com or fueleconomy-dot-gov suggests the Prius tends to get below its EPA rating. This fact, combined with much better handling and brakes than Prius family members, makes me love it! It is a bit lacking in rear seat space, but it has plenty of room for my daily commute, and running about town with wife and son in tow (can fit stroller and week's worth of groceries with ease in the cargo bay).

Favorite Features

Consistently get over 50 MPG with very few changes to driving habits (already did some light hypermiling with my 2007 Accord). The car handles almost as well as my Accord, and way better than the second and third gen Prius(es) that I used to drive as company vehicles. Test drives of 2014 Prius reminded me of those forgettable driving days... BTW, Car and Driver and Motor Trend comparisons came to the same conclusion, so it's not just me. EX trim loaded with all but navigation cost several thousand dollars less than similarly equipped Prius. For a car that drives and feels much better than a Prius, gets same EPA-estimated MPG, and cost me over $5k less, what's not to like?

Suggested Improvements

Rear seat space is a bit cramped, but only my wife (only 5'4'' tall) and son (in his car seat) sit back there, and they always have room to spare. Trip computer is a bit optimistic on MPG (overestimates by ~7%), but this is not uncommon even for the heralded Prius. A friend of mine gets 38 MPG in her 2014 Prius according to the trip computer, and if that too is optimistic it goes to show that no amount of advanced technology can guarantee good fuel economy. AC shuts off during idle-stop, though this is easily overcome using a variety of tricks. Too bad they discontinued this model, as an update with the same tech in the 2014 Accord Hybrid would yield superb MPG figures indeed!!!

My experience with both Insight and Prius
By blahblah_gc

I bought a Prius 4 yrs ago and I like the car. With the fact that Honda is discontinuing the car, and I didn't want Toyota to earn all my money so I decided to buy a new Insight. Surprisingly my decision is well made. Like I said Prius is a good car, I can get 60 MPG if I drive it really carefully (by pissing off many other drivers). But Insight makes you forget that you are driving a hybrid and still get you pretty decent mileage. Honda is definitely more fun to drive compared to Toyota; the handling is much better. Although its not as spacious as to Prius, its not bad at all. Bottom line, both cars are good, but Insight is a car with more fun.

Favorite Features

Driving and handling

Suggested Improvements

Make the AC to run consistently no matter what. Stop the engine when the gear is in N. Currently, you have to step on the break but many people like me who doesn't like to step on the break while waiting.

Excellent, but ...
By kojo1

2013 Honda Insight Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Pros: The obvious--excellent gas mileage. Test drove and got over 50 mpg consistently. The car has decent low end torque, so will pick up if you want it to. The green eco invites you to continually drive conservatively to maintain good mpg. The stereo system is fairly good quality. Hatchback opens easily. Nice storage. Has spare tire. The drive is very silky and smooth. The best CVT I've driven. The turning radius is incredible. Will turn on the dime. Handles beautifully around curves. Suspension very sturdy with bumps. Ignition is seemless and strong. Cons: The major con is the incredible uncomfortable driving seat. More below.

Favorite Features

Terrific engine, ignition, and mpg. Hatchback is very handy. Nice side mirrors, which help eliminate blind spots. Best price for a hybrid.

Suggested Improvements

While driving for 30 minutes, will get the sorest back. The seat alone was the determining factor to not get thee car. When park, only the driver's door unlocks. Must hit unlock button to open other doors and open trunk. A lot of cheapness with interior: turn signal, horn, and console. Cup holders in a bad space and small. Only one outlet for charger. Rearview mirror in bad spot--causes blindspot. Blindspot in rear corners. Headlights are weak and low. Can't read a side street sign with them. Very limited. Need to upgrade the seats! Can't drive a car if uncomfortable, no matter what the mpg is!

Better than I expect
By lvtyh

Just bought the 2013 insight ex for 19,580 before tax. Today I fill up the first tank of gas. It's 314.7 miles and 6.452 gallons of gas, average 48.78 mpg. I drive half/half city and highway. The mpg is much better than I expect. I like the insight style better than the prius both inside/outside. When I press the gas pedal, the car respond better than the prius. Plus the prius is $3500 more than the insight. I tested drive both but then chose the insight. I think I made the right choice.

Favorite Features

My wife like the design of both the interior and exterior. Look nice.

Suggested Improvements

The area at the transmission could be improve to look better like the prius or the elentra.

Had to have Another
By gillie108

I bought my wife a 2011 Honda Insight. As of now she has 23746 miles and has purchased 533.715 gallons of gas(yes, we record Odom-trip-# of gal-price per gal and date). Currently getting 44.49 mpg and that is actual all driving mpg! I was so impressed I traded in my Chevy HHR for my own 2012 Insight. As of now my Insight has 13818 miles on 305.667 gallons for 45.20 actual MPG and that is city and highway combined! Yes the AC turns off when I sit at a red light. I drive from the NJ suburbs to block b4 the Holland Tunnel, so my ride isn't smooth sailings! The ride in my Insight makes this commute bearable.

Favorite Features

MPG is outstanding. Good sound system. The hybrid system is much easier to understand than that of the Prius. Driving my Insight has become a video game. Trying to maximize the hybrid system for optimum MPG's. My last 4 fill ups have all 427.1 miles on 9.359 gal, 426.9 on 8.679, 424.5 on 9.304 and 446.3 on 8.752 gallons of 87 octane gasoline. The less a rush I am in the higher my mileage Better pick up than my Chevy HHR.

Suggested Improvements

The back seating has little room. The AC does shut down when I am behind a red light. I am going to try to turn off ECON when this happens to see if it keeps the AC on. Should be able to insert a pictures on a cd to be displayed on the navigation screen on the 2011 Insight. When the navigation isn't used in place of seeing what appears to be space (black with starts), would be like a screen saver.