2013 Honda Insight Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:
My experience with both Insight and Prius
By blahblah_gc on 05/19/14 16:22 PM (PDT)

2013 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought a Prius 4 yrs ago and I like the car. With the fact that Honda is discontinuing the car, and I didn't want Toyota to earn all my money so I decided to buy a new Insight. Surprisingly my decision is well made. Like I said Prius is a good car, I can get 60 MPG if I drive it really carefully (by pissing off many other drivers). But Insight makes you forget that you are driving a hybrid and still get you pretty decent mileage. Honda is definitely more fun to drive compared to Toyota; the handling is much better. Although its not as spacious as to Prius, its not bad at all. Bottom line, both cars are good, but Insight is a car with more fun.

Excellent, but ...
By kojo1 on 11/10/13 19:48 PM (PST)

2013 Honda Insight Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Pros: The obvious--excellent gas mileage. Test drove and got over 50 mpg consistently. The car has decent low end torque, so will pick up if you want it to. The green eco invites you to continually drive conservatively to maintain good mpg. The stereo system is fairly good quality. Hatchback opens easily. Nice storage. Has spare tire. The drive is very silky and smooth. The best CVT I've driven. The turning radius is incredible. Will turn on the dime. Handles beautifully around curves. Suspension very sturdy with bumps. Ignition is seemless and strong. Cons: The major con is the incredible uncomfortable driving seat. More below.

Better than I expect
By lvtyh on 11/06/13 19:30 PM (PST)

Just bought the 2013 insight ex for 19,580 before tax. Today I fill up the first tank of gas. It's 314.7 miles and 6.452 gallons of gas, average 48.78 mpg. I drive half/half city and highway. The mpg is much better than I expect. I like the insight style better than the prius both inside/outside. When I press the gas pedal, the car respond better than the prius. Plus the prius is $3500 more than the insight. I tested drive both but then chose the insight. I think I made the right choice.

Had to have Another
By gillie108 on 10/18/13 05:49 AM (PDT)

I bought my wife a 2011 Honda Insight. As of now she has 23746 miles and has purchased 533.715 gallons of gas(yes, we record Odom-trip-# of gal-price per gal and date). Currently getting 44.49 mpg and that is actual all driving mpg! I was so impressed I traded in my Chevy HHR for my own 2012 Insight. As of now my Insight has 13818 miles on 305.667 gallons for 45.20 actual MPG and that is city and highway combined! Yes the AC turns off when I sit at a red light. I drive from the NJ suburbs to block b4 the Holland Tunnel, so my ride isn't smooth sailings! The ride in my Insight makes this commute bearable.

Far Exceeded Expectations
By inrva on 09/24/13 07:50 AM (PDT)

2013 Honda Insight Hatchback EX PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I almost didn't buy it based on some of the professional reviews I read, but I decided to go by those written by real consumers, and I am glad I did. The car is flawless, fun to drive, and very will built. I has enough power to get up on the freeway and keeps up with traffic while getting over 45 mpg, and I drive it very hard. I have found the ride to be good, not harsh, and is similar to other small cars of similar weight. I am 6'3" and have plenty of room and comfort. It is not a Prius, and does not try to be. It is the original hybrid, predating the Prius. The unit is one of the few fully built in Japan, and the quality demonstrates that very well.

I Love my 2012 Insight Base model
By dnatech on 07/01/13 03:43 AM (PDT)

2013 Honda Insight Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am always surprised to see so few (I should say rarely) Insights on the road. Toyota Prius seem to be the only hybrid people think of. Not only the Prius is expensive, I am not so sure it's a better car: Insight dashboard is better and the possibility of disabling the automatic traction(not available in the Prius) in case of getting stuck in the snow is a plus in the Northeast.

Honda Insight, the unknown deal
By insightdriver on 06/09/13 14:19 PM (PDT)

I compared several vehicles that met my requirements in a new vehicle and the Insight showed up. I had never heard of one before. Perhaps it is so unknown because Honda does not promote it. Few people are familiar with it but it meets my needs perfectly. I do not think most of the criticisms of it are fair. It is not noisy. It is comfortable. It runs smoothly and the gas mileage is terrific. The AC does turn off when the engine stops at lights, etc. but that is overcome by moving the car into Park which I do in our recent 100 degree weather. It is fun to drive. I am not a car nut. I expect my vehicles to get me where I am going as cheaply as possible. The Honda Insight LX does that.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Honda Insight Hatchback in VA is:

$114 per month*