Used 2012 Honda Insight EX Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda Insight Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Excellent Value and Fun to Drive
By swarfer

2012 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my second review after one year. I'm averaging 48-49 mpg but routinely get 60+ during ideal conditions. To get the most out of the Insight you need to drive it correctly otherwise you will be disappointed. The Insight is a very efficient conventional automobile with hybrid assist. It is very affordable being less complicated than the Prius. As an engineer I find the Insight brillaintly simple while the Prius is more a technological feat. Note that if climate control is in auto the engine will start as necessary at stoplights to maintain the desired temperature. This has been incorrectly reported in a number of reviews. No problems and I would buy again without reservation.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, excellent gas milage, very affordable, less is more hybrid approach, feels more sporty than the Prius. Excellent crash protection as I was rear ended by a loaded dumptruck and although at low speed the rear bumper fully compressed and popped back out without any structural damage and only minor damage to the bottom of hatchback door. The police and the repair shop could not believe it. I felt only a hard shove but no jolt and no neck injury.

Suggested Improvements

Offer a less expensive navigation package and a leather seat option.