One month review
By mattwc1 on
2011 Honda Insight 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
First off, many hybrid owners get a bad (yet well deserved) rap of being," holier than thou" when it comes to the environmental impact of their cars. Let's dismiss some myths. Hybrids Do NOT save the world or the environment (one look at mining practices for the metals to make up the various batteries will easily disprove that) . Sorry to dash the hopes of the misinformed. Hybrids DO help in saving significant amounts in your fuel expenditures. More importantly, hybrids do allow the user to save fuel while still being able to use the existing infrastructure. (rant off) I bought my base 2011 Insight to replace a very nice 2009 Rav4. It has in over 1000 miles already saved fuel costs by 1/2.
Favorite Features
*Very quiet and surprisingly roomy for a compact hatchback *In a 80/20% mix of highway/local commuting, I have averaged well over 47mpg. Hitting in the low 50s last week. Easily surpasses the EPA numbers. *Seats 4 quite well, my teen twin daughters do not complain sitting in the back *CVT works well in this application.
Suggested Improvements
The inevitable comparisons to Toyota Prius will rear its head. The Prius can travel further on battery power alone is is larger than the Insight. The Insight is lighter and uses a smaller battery pack. The new Prius C is a more direct competiot in terms of price and features. Not just the Insight, but most Hondas trail the competition in terms of connectivity/telemetics. Paint is typical Honda poor quality (both Toyota/Honda are awful in this respect) Not the fault of this model, but I would like cruise control on my next model.
By mattwc1
on 01/16/14 14:16 PM (PST)

Quick update: I have added about 15k miles on my car since the purchase. I have changed the oil (once), changed the CVT fluid (per many forum posts, the CVT fluid should be changed every 20 to 25k miles. In typical easy Honda fashion, there is an access panel, drain the fluid (about 3 quarts), add three quarts, check the levels, good to go). I have reached a high of almost 60mpg on a rountrip to Carlisle PA. I average between a low of 41 to 50mpg in typical commuting (80/20 split). This car has been great