Used 2011 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

2011 Honda Insight

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Disappointed
By tradingitin

2011 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned this car for four months and I'm trading it in next week.
Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) is annoying -- when you step on the gas, there's a delayed reaction.
It revs noisily during entire acceleration arc.
Very gutless.
Most of my driving is city and MPG averages about 39.
Above 65 miles per hour, MPG drops to low 30s.
In Econ mode, AC stops with engine at stoplights.
Rear seatbelts get pinned behind seats after folding them up.
Cramped back seat leads to dirty upholstery when kids with dirty feet climb in.
Paint job is SOFT and easily scratched.
Body style is typical hybrid ugly, grille is inexplicably gray... would look much better matching the body.

AC is cold, iPod integration is nice, and MPG is GREAT on the highway as long as you're traveling under 60 - 65.

Ditch the CVT. Paint the grille to match the car. Reconfigure AC to be more friendly at stoplights.

My worst purchase ever
By vadbrown

2011 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I loved the test drive. I should have spent more time doing it. I would have found out what was wrong. I realized it was a mistake to buy the car as soon as I got on the highway after leaving the dealership. I noticed several bad things immediately -
road noise, very bumpy ride and no passing power. After driving it for a few days commuting back and forth to work, I began having horrible headaches. This was the thing that really made me sell the car. My guess is that it had something to do electromagnetic radiation from the hybrid motor and wires that go through the cabin. Never buying a hybrid again until they do studies on this. Lost $7k selling it back in 2 months.

Fun to drive on back roads. The design.

Make your future cars with less road noise, smoother ride and better power (even for a hybrid). Also, do studies on effects of hybrid cars' electromagnetic radiation on human health.

Money saver
By barbarossa3

2011 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We've had our insight for 10 months now and have been completely satisfied with the car. We normally achieve 43-46 mpg CITY ! At 75 on an interstate it drops to 40 MPG but I usually get 50-53 on a 55 mph highway. Some routes to work net me 53 mpg city. We replaced a 4.2 litre Ford Freestar which gave 17-19 mpg city and are saving the entire car payment in cost savings. Free Car!! Ride is a little rough and firm as new cars go(typical for Honda). Interior on LX is a little too plastic. Blind spots are awful in traffic.

Love the fuel economy and the computer display. Interior is comfortable for driver if a bit firm. Nice design inside and out.

Rear view blind spots are really bad. Careful looks before lane change often result in a horn blast from one you couldn't see. Wife drives the car daily and feels she has adjusted to it. I would consider replacing side mirrors with cameras for better view and better MPG. Looking into CNG conversion for even more savings.

Better car than it looks on paper
By mike579

2011 Honda Insight 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I do a 40 mile highway commute on weekdays and some city driving on weekends. By my own calculations, I get an honest 50 miles per gallon. The dashboard readouts give you the information you need to modify your driving style to maximize MPG. I see people complain about a noisy car, but that's not my experience. It's quiet on the freeway. It will get noisy on a rough roads or if you stomp on the gas pedal. The interior is a little plasticy, but it still looks clean and functional. Because of the car styling, the car has larger blind spots than I would like.

Gas mileage is better than expected, car feels solid and well-made, styling is good.

Reduce the blind spots around the car. Another 2-3 MPG would be great!

17K Miles later...
By nickdapit

2011 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

So far I couldn't ask for much more from the car, I bought the car specificlly for my job as I drive large stretches of the country. My latest trip took me from Los Angeles to Denver; then Denver to Seattle; then Seattle back to Los Angeles. I have had no problems with the car and average the EPA estimate for driving. (42 mpg) The only thing that dissappoints me is the rear seat area, a six foot man cannot fit even with a 5 foot driver in the front seat. Headroom is almost ridiculous to the point where Honda should have just made an inch or two higher for the rear seats even if that cost the vehicle 2 mpg's overall! The leg room is very tight in the rear. Don't buy if family is large.

A/C location is very driver friendly and it is fun to learn how to drive the car for excellent MPG. The vehicle is not like the Prius where the car gets you the great gas mileage, you need to learn through the nstrument clusters how to apply the appropriate pressure to the gas pedal to get the desired MPG. If you drive like "Miss Daisy" you can easily get 45-48 MPG however I drive very normal and get 42 MPG which I think is well worth not being honked at and glared at... :)

Rear headroom and legroom was very dissapointing and if I had to do it over again I would probably not purchase the vehicle do to this issue, as I would like to be able to fit in the backseat of my own car as I am a 6'2" 180 lbs. male. Was hoping this car could be used for family reasons after my job usage however I do not know how this car will comfortably move two kids. Otherwise Honda has a winner and I may become a Honda owner for life as this was my first Honda and I am alread sold on the reliability, I have driven this car through two snowstorms in Colorado and Oregon and had no issues or concerns.