2011 Honda Insight Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:
50K Miles Later
By spartan949 on 09/18/13 10:55 AM (PDT)

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned my Insight since March 2011 and have driven 50,000 miles. I have averaged 41.3 MPG for the entire life of the car so far, which is what I expected and am very pleased. I have had to do nothing but 5 oil changes, air filter, cabin filter and one CVT trans fluid change as recommended. There have been no other issues with the vehicle. Tires are finally bald and will be replaced at 50K miles as well. Number don't lie though, I did the calculations and with the lower price and good fuel economy you would have to own the Prius for 7-8 years before it would start saving you money over the Insight.

Disappointed
By tradingitin on 08/22/12 17:02 PM (PDT)

I've owned this car for four months and I'm trading it in next week. Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) is annoying -- when you step on the gas, there's a delayed reaction. It revs noisily during entire acceleration arc. Very gutless. Most of my driving is city and MPG averages about 39. Above 65 miles per hour, MPG drops to low 30s. In Econ mode, AC stops with engine at stoplights. Rear seatbelts get pinned behind seats after folding them up. Cramped back seat leads to dirty upholstery when kids with dirty feet climb in. Paint job is SOFT and easily scratched. Body style is typical hybrid ugly, grille is inexplicably gray... would look much better matching the body.

My worst purchase ever
By vadbrown on 05/09/12 17:15 PM (PDT)

I loved the test drive. I should have spent more time doing it. I would have found out what was wrong. I realized it was a mistake to buy the car as soon as I got on the highway after leaving the dealership. I noticed several bad things immediately - road noise, very bumpy ride and no passing power. After driving it for a few days commuting back and forth to work, I began having horrible headaches. This was the thing that really made me sell the car. My guess is that it had something to do electromagnetic radiation from the hybrid motor and wires that go through the cabin. Never buying a hybrid again until they do studies on this. Lost $7k selling it back in 2 months.

17K Miles later...
By nickdapit on 11/13/11 14:25 PM (PST)

So far I couldn't ask for much more from the car, I bought the car specificlly for my job as I drive large stretches of the country. My latest trip took me from Los Angeles to Denver; then Denver to Seattle; then Seattle back to Los Angeles. I have had no problems with the car and average the EPA estimate for driving. (42 mpg) The only thing that dissappoints me is the rear seat area, a six foot man cannot fit even with a 5 foot driver in the front seat. Headroom is almost ridiculous to the point where Honda should have just made an inch or two higher for the rear seats even if that cost the vehicle 2 mpg's overall! The leg room is very tight in the rear. Don't buy if family is large.

great car, comfortable, best gas mileage
By jml16 on 10/02/11 09:38 AM (PDT)

We get 41 MPG in the city & up to 48 on the HWY. we don't find road noise to be excessive. we have had the car approx 7 months. the dealer is terrific. the mechanics are local & loyal. at least 1 has been there over 20 years. Only issue is people that are heavy & tall cannot ride easily.

Honda Insight Delivers Fun & Savings
By rfbronk1 on 06/26/11 21:31 PM (PDT)

I really like my Honda Insight EX in polished metal. I am getting better than 40 MPG and what I really like it how well it drives. I like the hatch feature and the styling. The Insight is just sharp and it works nicely. I like the ECO feature - when you stop in traffic it just stops! I tried the Prius but found the Insight to just be more fun. Also - the Insight EX is a much better value. I am very pleased with my choice.

LOVE my 2011 EX Insight
By rjbjr5 on 05/31/11 11:33 AM (PDT)

The main reason I love the Honda Insight is the gas mileage I'm getting. I had a 2006 Pacifica, getting 18-19 MPGs... now I average about 42 MPG just running errands and back & forth to work. Drove to NH & back and got 48.6 MPGs - calculated manually (miles/gallons). I am saving at least 1/2 my monthy car payment in gas each month! Driving it is fun & feels sturdy... it's a smooth ride and I never can tell when transitioning from gas to battery etc. Since this is only the 2nd year of the new Insight, I'm really hoping the engine etc. is made as well as all other Hondas and will last just as long... time will tell.

Quigz Review
By quigz on 03/23/11 23:56 PM (PDT)

I traded in a 2004 Pontiac GTO! I had a 5.7 liter V8 gas monster, and traded this in for a gas saver. I don't care to much about being green, I care about saving money, and the Insight allows me to do just that in gas. I love this car! I save so much money in gas it is unreal. I have a 10 gallon gas tank and get over 60 MPG! I get triple the gas mileage now. I get $30 in gas every seven days as opposed to $45 every three days. I am using a solar panel now to increase my MPG's [violative content deleted]

Best Bang For Your Buck!
By mikeyt1818 on 02/22/11 05:57 AM (PST)

I get better MPG's than EPA estimates (45.2 w/ mixed driving and AC always on). Great steering/handling! Awesome safety features, reliable. ITS NOT A PRIUS! Lol! Nothing against Toyota but way too many Prius drivers out there. I prefer to be distinct!

Enjoying my '11 EX Insight
By benjiej on 01/20/11 22:20 PM (PST)

OK, I had a 2010 Insight LX, but only for a few months. There were many things I didn't like, but most of them were due to features I had given up by choosing the LX instead of the EX. I have been driving the 2011 EX for about a month and I am much happier with this car. Some of this is subjective, but it seems to drive better than the 2010, the transitions from electric to gas aren't as noticeable (the 2010 shuddered annoyingly), the Auto Stop engages for longer periods at stop lights, and of course I love the features the EX offers over the LX. (note that the 2011 LX has gained many features that my 2010 did not have). For the way I drive it's a great car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Honda Insight Hatchback in VA is:

$117 per month*