Used 2011 Honda Insight Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Basic down to earth hybrid
By readykilowatt

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have owned our 2010 insight for three years and have 37,000 miles on it. The professional reviews are right in that it is a lot like the early Japanese cars that were on the market in the 70's which were very reliable but very basic in design. If you want a reliable small cars for commuting back and forth, it is a great purchase. We use it to go back and forth to town and it gets us about 50 mpg as it seems to love going about 50 mph. Yes it rides a little hard and is short on sound insulation but for what we use it for, it's ideal. I wouldn't use it for a long drive though. We'll be passing it on to the children and probably getting another the last year of production.

Favorite Features

Very low initial cost, great mileage, dependable, nice body style.

50K Miles Later
By spartan949

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned my Insight since March 2011 and have driven 50,000 miles. I have averaged 41.3 MPG for the entire life of the car so far, which is what I expected and am very pleased. I have had to do nothing but 5 oil changes, air filter, cabin filter and one CVT trans fluid change as recommended. There have been no other issues with the vehicle. Tires are finally bald and will be replaced at 50K miles as well. Number don't lie though, I did the calculations and with the lower price and good fuel economy you would have to own the Prius for 7-8 years before it would start saving you money over the Insight.

Favorite Features

Driving using the MPG light colored system is actually more then a gimmick. The Prius tends to get you 45 MPG and you just drive the car (at a higher price) however the Insight you must learn how to apply the appropriate gas pedal pressure to get great MPG by keeping the colors green on the screen. Really works and it teaches you how to drive your other car that may not have this feature. Car also drives better then people seem to think and I never felt like the car couldn't steer out of the way or handel a winding road, however immediate acceleration is lacking.

Suggested Improvements

Backseat is too too Small! If you are over 6 feet tall your head will hit roof and you cannot even slouch down to avoid this because there is no leg room either. Fabric in the car tends to get dirty very quickly and has a funny odor, not bad odor just funny. Also Paint and Body Intergrity are poor, it takes barely anything hitting the car to cause a chip, scratch, or dent. All this being said; if you are looking for a car that can carry 2 people comfortably at 40 MPG for a $20K price tag, I really think it is a good buy. Just don't buy the car because you think it is better then the rest, this car does everything average nothing is outstanding except the price!

One month review
By mattwc1

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

First off, many hybrid owners get a bad (yet well deserved) rap of being," holier than thou" when it comes to the environmental impact of their cars. Let's dismiss some myths. Hybrids Do NOT save the world or the environment (one look at mining practices for the metals to make up the various batteries will easily disprove that) . Sorry to dash the hopes of the misinformed. Hybrids DO help in saving significant amounts in your fuel expenditures. More importantly, hybrids do allow the user to save fuel while still being able to use the existing infrastructure. (rant off) I bought my base 2011 Insight to replace a very nice 2009 Rav4. It has in over 1000 miles already saved fuel costs by 1/2.

Favorite Features

*Very quiet and surprisingly roomy for a compact hatchback *In a 80/20% mix of highway/local commuting, I have averaged well over 47mpg. Hitting in the low 50s last week. Easily surpasses the EPA numbers. *Seats 4 quite well, my teen twin daughters do not complain sitting in the back *CVT works well in this application.

Suggested Improvements

The inevitable comparisons to Toyota Prius will rear its head. The Prius can travel further on battery power alone is is larger than the Insight. The Insight is lighter and uses a smaller battery pack. The new Prius C is a more direct competiot in terms of price and features. Not just the Insight, but most Hondas trail the competition in terms of connectivity/telemetics. Paint is typical Honda poor quality (both Toyota/Honda are awful in this respect) Not the fault of this model, but I would like cruise control on my next model.

A fun hybrid? Go figure
By msbella

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am thrilled with this car! I bought it for a year-long 220-mile round-trip commute that would have been miserable and expensive in most other cars but was actually pleasant in this one thanks to the comfort, handling, and iPod connection. The front-wheel drive also got me home safely during an epic blizzard last winter. After 32,000 miles in 18 months, and now commuting 60 miles round-trip on a winding rural road, I can still say I love this car, as do my growing kids and two big dogs. I'm averaging 45 mpg across all conditions and terrains, and the 12,000-mile oil changes are nice, too. One change I did make for my rural area was wider tires, which are more durable and widely available.

Favorite Features

Exterior profile, iPod connection, mileage, spacious hatch area, real-time mileage indicator (which has changed my driving habits for the better!)

Suggested Improvements

After 18 months I still haven't gotten used to the air temperature and other climate settings.

Disappointed
By tradingitin

I've owned this car for four months and I'm trading it in next week. Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) is annoying -- when you step on the gas, there's a delayed reaction. It revs noisily during entire acceleration arc. Very gutless. Most of my driving is city and MPG averages about 39. Above 65 miles per hour, MPG drops to low 30s. In Econ mode, AC stops with engine at stoplights. Rear seatbelts get pinned behind seats after folding them up. Cramped back seat leads to dirty upholstery when kids with dirty feet climb in. Paint job is SOFT and easily scratched. Body style is typical hybrid ugly, grille is inexplicably gray... would look much better matching the body.

Favorite Features

AC is cold, iPod integration is nice, and MPG is GREAT on the highway as long as you're traveling under 60 - 65.

Suggested Improvements

Ditch the CVT. Paint the grille to match the car. Reconfigure AC to be more friendly at stoplights.