2011 Honda Insight Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:
Basic down to earth hybrid
By readykilowatt on 05/08/14 08:04 AM (PDT)

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have owned our 2010 insight for three years and have 37,000 miles on it. The professional reviews are right in that it is a lot like the early Japanese cars that were on the market in the 70's which were very reliable but very basic in design. If you want a reliable small cars for commuting back and forth, it is a great purchase. We use it to go back and forth to town and it gets us about 50 mpg as it seems to love going about 50 mph. Yes it rides a little hard and is short on sound insulation but for what we use it for, it's ideal. I wouldn't use it for a long drive though. We'll be passing it on to the children and probably getting another the last year of production.

50K Miles Later
By spartan949 on 09/18/13 10:55 AM (PDT)

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned my Insight since March 2011 and have driven 50,000 miles. I have averaged 41.3 MPG for the entire life of the car so far, which is what I expected and am very pleased. I have had to do nothing but 5 oil changes, air filter, cabin filter and one CVT trans fluid change as recommended. There have been no other issues with the vehicle. Tires are finally bald and will be replaced at 50K miles as well. Number don't lie though, I did the calculations and with the lower price and good fuel economy you would have to own the Prius for 7-8 years before it would start saving you money over the Insight.

One month review
By mattwc1 on 04/29/13 17:21 PM (PDT)

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

First off, many hybrid owners get a bad (yet well deserved) rap of being," holier than thou" when it comes to the environmental impact of their cars. Let's dismiss some myths. Hybrids Do NOT save the world or the environment (one look at mining practices for the metals to make up the various batteries will easily disprove that) . Sorry to dash the hopes of the misinformed. Hybrids DO help in saving significant amounts in your fuel expenditures. More importantly, hybrids do allow the user to save fuel while still being able to use the existing infrastructure. (rant off) I bought my base 2011 Insight to replace a very nice 2009 Rav4. It has in over 1000 miles already saved fuel costs by 1/2.

A fun hybrid? Go figure
By msbella on 09/07/12 23:33 PM (PDT)

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am thrilled with this car! I bought it for a year-long 220-mile round-trip commute that would have been miserable and expensive in most other cars but was actually pleasant in this one thanks to the comfort, handling, and iPod connection. The front-wheel drive also got me home safely during an epic blizzard last winter. After 32,000 miles in 18 months, and now commuting 60 miles round-trip on a winding rural road, I can still say I love this car, as do my growing kids and two big dogs. I'm averaging 45 mpg across all conditions and terrains, and the 12,000-mile oil changes are nice, too. One change I did make for my rural area was wider tires, which are more durable and widely available.

Disappointed
By tradingitin on 08/22/12 17:02 PM (PDT)

I've owned this car for four months and I'm trading it in next week. Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) is annoying -- when you step on the gas, there's a delayed reaction. It revs noisily during entire acceleration arc. Very gutless. Most of my driving is city and MPG averages about 39. Above 65 miles per hour, MPG drops to low 30s. In Econ mode, AC stops with engine at stoplights. Rear seatbelts get pinned behind seats after folding them up. Cramped back seat leads to dirty upholstery when kids with dirty feet climb in. Paint job is SOFT and easily scratched. Body style is typical hybrid ugly, grille is inexplicably gray... would look much better matching the body.

My worst purchase ever
By vadbrown on 05/09/12 17:15 PM (PDT)

I loved the test drive. I should have spent more time doing it. I would have found out what was wrong. I realized it was a mistake to buy the car as soon as I got on the highway after leaving the dealership. I noticed several bad things immediately - road noise, very bumpy ride and no passing power. After driving it for a few days commuting back and forth to work, I began having horrible headaches. This was the thing that really made me sell the car. My guess is that it had something to do electromagnetic radiation from the hybrid motor and wires that go through the cabin. Never buying a hybrid again until they do studies on this. Lost $7k selling it back in 2 months.

Money saver
By barbarossa3 on 02/24/12 19:10 PM (PST)

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We've had our insight for 10 months now and have been completely satisfied with the car. We normally achieve 43-46 mpg CITY ! At 75 on an interstate it drops to 40 MPG but I usually get 50-53 on a 55 mph highway. Some routes to work net me 53 mpg city. We replaced a 4.2 litre Ford Freestar which gave 17-19 mpg city and are saving the entire car payment in cost savings. Free Car!! Ride is a little rough and firm as new cars go(typical for Honda). Interior on LX is a little too plastic. Blind spots are awful in traffic.

Better car than it looks on paper
By mike579 on 02/19/12 11:31 AM (PST)

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I do a 40 mile highway commute on weekdays and some city driving on weekends. By my own calculations, I get an honest 50 miles per gallon. The dashboard readouts give you the information you need to modify your driving style to maximize MPG. I see people complain about a noisy car, but that's not my experience. It's quiet on the freeway. It will get noisy on a rough roads or if you stomp on the gas pedal. The interior is a little plasticy, but it still looks clean and functional. Because of the car styling, the car has larger blind spots than I would like.

17K Miles later...
By nickdapit on 11/13/11 14:25 PM (PST)

So far I couldn't ask for much more from the car, I bought the car specificlly for my job as I drive large stretches of the country. My latest trip took me from Los Angeles to Denver; then Denver to Seattle; then Seattle back to Los Angeles. I have had no problems with the car and average the EPA estimate for driving. (42 mpg) The only thing that dissappoints me is the rear seat area, a six foot man cannot fit even with a 5 foot driver in the front seat. Headroom is almost ridiculous to the point where Honda should have just made an inch or two higher for the rear seats even if that cost the vehicle 2 mpg's overall! The leg room is very tight in the rear. Don't buy if family is large.

great car, comfortable, best gas mileage
By jml16 on 10/02/11 09:38 AM (PDT)

We get 41 MPG in the city & up to 48 on the HWY. we don't find road noise to be excessive. we have had the car approx 7 months. the dealer is terrific. the mechanics are local & loyal. at least 1 has been there over 20 years. Only issue is people that are heavy & tall cannot ride easily.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Honda Insight Hatchback in VA is:

$110 per month*