Used 2011 Honda Insight EX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

50K Miles Later
By spartan949

2011 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned my Insight since March 2011 and have driven 50,000 miles. I have averaged 41.3 MPG for the entire life of the car so far, which is what I expected and am very pleased. I have had to do nothing but 5 oil changes, air filter, cabin filter and one CVT trans fluid change as recommended. There have been no other issues with the vehicle. Tires are finally bald and will be replaced at 50K miles as well. Number don't lie though, I did the calculations and with the lower price and good fuel economy you would have to own the Prius for 7-8 years before it would start saving you money over the Insight.

Driving using the MPG light colored system is actually more then a gimmick. The Prius tends to get you 45 MPG and you just drive the car (at a higher price) however the Insight you must learn how to apply the appropriate gas pedal pressure to get great MPG by keeping the colors green on the screen. Really works and it teaches you how to drive your other car that may not have this feature. Car also drives better then people seem to think and I never felt like the car couldn't steer out of the way or handel a winding road, however immediate acceleration is lacking.

Backseat is too too Small! If you are over 6 feet tall your head will hit roof and you cannot even slouch down to avoid this because there is no leg room either. Fabric in the car tends to get dirty very quickly and has a funny odor, not bad odor just funny. Also Paint and Body Intergrity are poor, it takes barely anything hitting the car to cause a chip, scratch, or dent. All this being said; if you are looking for a car that can carry 2 people comfortably at 40 MPG for a $20K price tag, I really think it is a good buy. Just don't buy the car because you think it is better then the rest, this car does everything average nothing is outstanding except the price!

Disappointed
By tradingitin

2011 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned this car for four months and I'm trading it in next week. Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) is annoying -- when you step on the gas, there's a delayed reaction. It revs noisily during entire acceleration arc. Very gutless. Most of my driving is city and MPG averages about 39. Above 65 miles per hour, MPG drops to low 30s. In Econ mode, AC stops with engine at stoplights. Rear seatbelts get pinned behind seats after folding them up. Cramped back seat leads to dirty upholstery when kids with dirty feet climb in. Paint job is SOFT and easily scratched. Body style is typical hybrid ugly, grille is inexplicably gray... would look much better matching the body.

AC is cold, iPod integration is nice, and MPG is GREAT on the highway as long as you're traveling under 60 - 65.

Ditch the CVT. Paint the grille to match the car. Reconfigure AC to be more friendly at stoplights.

My worst purchase ever
By vadbrown

2011 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I loved the test drive. I should have spent more time doing it. I would have found out what was wrong. I realized it was a mistake to buy the car as soon as I got on the highway after leaving the dealership. I noticed several bad things immediately - road noise, very bumpy ride and no passing power. After driving it for a few days commuting back and forth to work, I began having horrible headaches. This was the thing that really made me sell the car. My guess is that it had something to do electromagnetic radiation from the hybrid motor and wires that go through the cabin. Never buying a hybrid again until they do studies on this. Lost $7k selling it back in 2 months.

Fun to drive on back roads. The design.

Make your future cars with less road noise, smoother ride and better power (even for a hybrid). Also, do studies on effects of hybrid cars' electromagnetic radiation on human health.

17K Miles later...
By nickdapit

2011 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

So far I couldn't ask for much more from the car, I bought the car specificlly for my job as I drive large stretches of the country. My latest trip took me from Los Angeles to Denver; then Denver to Seattle; then Seattle back to Los Angeles. I have had no problems with the car and average the EPA estimate for driving. (42 mpg) The only thing that dissappoints me is the rear seat area, a six foot man cannot fit even with a 5 foot driver in the front seat. Headroom is almost ridiculous to the point where Honda should have just made an inch or two higher for the rear seats even if that cost the vehicle 2 mpg's overall! The leg room is very tight in the rear. Don't buy if family is large.

A/C location is very driver friendly and it is fun to learn how to drive the car for excellent MPG. The vehicle is not like the Prius where the car gets you the great gas mileage, you need to learn through the nstrument clusters how to apply the appropriate pressure to the gas pedal to get the desired MPG. If you drive like "Miss Daisy" you can easily get 45-48 MPG however I drive very normal and get 42 MPG which I think is well worth not being honked at and glared at... :)

Rear headroom and legroom was very dissapointing and if I had to do it over again I would probably not purchase the vehicle do to this issue, as I would like to be able to fit in the backseat of my own car as I am a 6'2" 180 lbs. male. Was hoping this car could be used for family reasons after my job usage however I do not know how this car will comfortably move two kids. Otherwise Honda has a winner and I may become a Honda owner for life as this was my first Honda and I am alread sold on the reliability, I have driven this car through two snowstorms in Colorado and Oregon and had no issues or concerns.

great car, comfortable, best gas mileage
By jml16

2011 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We get 41 MPG in the city & up to 48 on the HWY. we don't find road noise to be excessive. we have had the car approx 7 months. the dealer is terrific. the mechanics are local & loyal. at least 1 has been there over 20 years. Only issue is people that are heavy & tall cannot ride easily.

the ease of using all the features. better than expected gas mileage. smooth ride

make it more comfortable for very tall or overweight people. figure a way we can use seat covers. that is a problem with all new cars.