After 9 months and 12,000 miles
By egadbois on
2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
The first 6 months I drove with the Econ engaged and never got more than about 52 mpg and no less than 48 mpg. I decided to turn off the Econ mode and drive normally. I have always been a very heavy user of cruise control. That and the fact that this is a small town with few lights, I am now getting 54 mpg without trying very hard. The Dunlap tires ride a bit harsh and the road noise is more than normal for a Honda. After two long trips I have found the seats to be very comfortable. I have no complaints with the sound system and use the USB port to plug in a flash memory stick with all my favorite music.
Favorite Features
The fuel tank holds about 10 gallons and the gas gauge is so accurate that you can project the number of gallons used. The automatic temperature control does such a great job that you rarely need to change it. The cruise control will stay within one mph of the set speed when not in Econ mode. I like the placement of the instruments such as the digital speed and turn signals better than any car I have owned (about 40 in my 64 years as a licensed driver).
Suggested Improvements
Occasionally the car will pulse on acceleration which I understand has been fixed on 2011s. The brakes are not consistent when the electric motor comes on to act as a generator and help braking. I would gladly give up a few mpg for a softer ride and less road noise from the tires.