2010 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:
Honda gives us a gem
By Alex on 05/14/10 09:43 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My initial attitude toward this car was less than enthusiastic, its EPA estimates are 10 mpg less than the Prius and only 10 more than the Fit. However, after driving the Insight a couple of thousand miles and averaging 49.7 mpg, it is apparent that the EPA estimates on the insight are much too conservative. I can easily get 60+ mpg around town if I pay close attention to the innovative fuel economy indicators on the Insight's dash. Its more fun to drive than the Prius, gets much better mileage than the EPA estimates, and is around $6,000 less expensive. Undoubtedly, this is the best value new car that can be bought.

almost 1 yr old
By Billj9876 on 05/10/10 10:32 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have driven in all 4 seasons and commute 75% highway miles. I am seeing > 50 MPG in summer, dropping to 46-47 during freezing weather. Max 1 tank average was 56 MPG. I live in the North East and don't see extreme lows or highs. I do have moderate hills to negotiate on my commute. Hwy speeds are typically 65-70 MPH. I do pay attention to acceleration but will blend with traffic as far as speed. I don't run AC or Defrost much (only at cruse speeds). I am outperforming the econo mode. It was useful for learning to drive conservatively but I have not used it for 6 months.

Absolutely Impressed
By Happy Hybrid Owner on 05/09/10 07:24 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Test drove Prius and Honda Insight. Honda Insight won hands down. Truly fun to drive, quiet interior, plenty of power and of course excellent mileage. Driving Prius felt like being in the virtual arcade car. Honda Insight EX is priced thousand of dollars less than Prius II and comes fully loaded. Only extra option is navigation and blue tooth. Easily obtained at the fraction of the cost on the outside Hybrids will not break any speed records but if you're looking for excellent high millage family car Honda Insight is it. Honda Job Well Done!

My Experience of the Insight
By pkw on 05/08/10 12:23 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've read numerous ratings and comments about the Insight and I find that it's hard to believe they're talking about the same car I've owned for a year now. My Insight has never gotten lower than 42 MPG and then only in sub-zero weather. In normal weather I always get 45, 46 or 47 mpg and that's after I do the math, which is just below the instrumentation's estimates. I also have a Prius for nearly four years, and the Prius is slightly faster, but the instrumentation is not as concise, but the Prius is now older than the Insight. The Insight is solidly built, and get's mpg greater than ratings which have been publicized.

Better than EPA
By offy on 05/04/10 11:45 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I recently took advantage of the great lease deals at Honda with a 36 month Insight lease. I traded in my not-too- old Mazda 3 and am very happy I did. In my first week of ownership, with the assist of the Econ mode and the computer showing me how to drive efficiently, I am averaging about 47 mpg, about 80% highway driving. Now my mundane drive to work has become just a small contribution to the environment.

Best-kept secret
By Bob on 04/29/10 09:38 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Amazing. After six months, still haven't seen another Insight on Montreal roads or in huge mall parking lots. If people only knew how much fun this little hatchback is. Zippy, especially under hard acceleration, silky smooth engine, balanced and grounded like a Go-Kart, bright and spacious cabin - what's not to like? And, no, it doesn't look like a Prius. Sure, its form might be similar, just like my form is similar to Tom Cruise's. It's the nuances that make all the difference, and they're considerable.

Underrated Hybrid
By Skylane95 on 04/26/10 22:20 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just over 1100 miles-averaging 47 mpg in a 70/30 highway/city mix. Much quieter than my 2003 Jetta TDI. I cruise @ 65 mph on the highway-impressive economy,reasonable pick-up, fun to drive. Drivers seat is excellent. Well finished. Smoother than the TDI. Lacks the incredible road feel of the VW, but has its own distinct quality-not as direct/secure, but very confident. Was going to buy a Prius(a much more sophisticated engineering marvel), but did not like being insulated from the driving experience.

Much better MPG than EPA ratings!
By Lenny on 04/16/10 19:57 PM (PDT)

Just filled up for the first time-better than 44 mpg (actual) since new 370 miles). My other car is a 2003 Jetta TDI. The Insight is different-it lacks the outstanding road feel of the VW, but is much smoother and less noisy. Fun to drive, great gadgetry (nav with bluetooth link). Decent road feel and handling.

Insight over Prius
By APinMD on 04/14/10 11:44 AM (PDT)

Always wanted a hybrid, by default that meant the Prius. Test drove both in one day (within an hour-highly recommend). Insight surprised spouse and me--we both loved it WAY more than Prius. Very easy and user friendly displays, love the instant MPG color feedback. Very good pick-up, can zip around quickly, never guess it's a hybrid. I leave it in Eco Mode all the time. Start/stop driving: I get ~43- 45 mpg with regular driving style, 49- 50 with some effort to "green" my driving style :) On the highway up to 55 mpg with little effort. I LOVE this car. Never thought I'd like anything better than my 2003 Jetta. But I DO!

Fun Battery Car
By Lund on 04/06/10 11:50 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Perfect car for commuter and/or run-about-towners. Handling makes up for lack of acceleration and 45+mpg makes up for everything else. Very up-market exterior styling blows away Prius plus one can stop the car when one wants!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Honda Insight in VA is:

$138 per month*