2010 Honda Insight Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:
Clear Choice for Commuter
By Chevy2Honda on 06/17/10 18:37 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was driving Chevy Suburban daily for the last several years. With a recent job change, I was spending close to $500 in gas every month. That had to stop. After reading reviews on Prius and Insight, it was pretty clear that I needed Insight. Bought EX model in the middle of June 2010, and I have no regret at all and love driving it. My weekly gas bill is mere $20. Even with my monthly lease payment, I am spending less money every month. The quality is great, and the console is well thought out.

Good, but not without its flaws
By Michael B on 06/17/10 18:24 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Insight looks great (nicer than the Prius in my opinion), generally drives well, and gets excellent fuel mileage at a cheap price. I've only been driving it for 300 miles (roughly 40%/60% city/highway) and it has already topped 42 mpg and is still climbing. It's an extremely quiet car unless you floor it (and even then...); I'm not sure why noise is such a common complaint. Overall, I am very satisfied. However, there are a number of annoyances: Auto-stop. Stop and go for any period of time will make you wish you could turn it off. You can't. Accelerating from 0 to 10 is *very* jerky. Above 10 mph it's fine. Again, awful in stop and go traffic. The hatch creates a rear blind spot.

Fun to drive, good handling in snow
By Galileo on 06/09/10 14:01 PM (PDT)

Looked at a lot of different cars like Altima, Civic, 2010 Prius, Cube, Fit, xB and finally picked the Insight. It was dealer's first Insight and got an okay deal on it with accessories. We had a snowy season here in Oklahoma and this car handled it like a dream. I can get through when most cars can't. Can't beat the value and the car is still hassle free and only maintenance I did is oil change. No squeaks like my old 06 VW Passat when hot or cold. This is my first Honda and far exceed my expectation.

60 MPG Except for hills of course
By Phil on 06/07/10 15:01 PM (PDT)

So far so good! The vehicle was made for A to B commute on level ground. Much more affordable vs Prius! The best is 63 mpg driving from Anh. to Santa Monica for work. You need to follow the path of the ground on the highway, coast up hills, lightly accelerate down hills. Freeways tend to do this with the grading for water run off. I have been really surprised how reviewers don't figure this out and report it in the review. Who else is getting 60 mpg for 19k. NOBODY! The only con is big hills, the Insight dies real quick with limited power. After stopping, and going again up hill it goes to charge mode, then kicks into help mode. Why? But, remember it's not for climbing hills.

Follow up to previous review.
By Hutch42 on 06/06/10 14:54 PM (PDT)

I initially wrote a review on this car after only 1,000 miles, but now, about a year later, I have driven it almost 14,000 miles and still love it. I get anywhere between 45 to 62 mpg depending on conditions, weather, and speed. I've discovered that I get the best mileage when driving between 40 to 50 mph. If I get up on the highway and get my speeds up to 70 to 75 mph, the economy is not as good, but still exceeds 40 mpg. This is a great car: looks good, drives nicely, handles well, great fuel economy and fun to drive. I highly recommend a test drive of an Insight before wasting your money on a Prius or some other so called economy car.

Couldn't Be Happier
By Flyer on 06/04/10 08:40 AM (PDT)

Always wanted to go green, but was never impressed by the look of the Prius. The Insight however is totally impressive, from the exterior looks to the interior layout and comfort. It is fun to drive (sporty), quiet and the fuel economy has been better than advertised. The design engineers did a great job keeping things simple yet detailed enough to provide useful formation. Honda hit a home run.

good car
By Twee on 05/31/10 14:16 PM (PDT)

I got mine for 2 months already. Love the fuel economy. I was able to do avg of 50 mpg, compare to my previous rav4, I do average of 60-70 miles daily to work. I should save $1000 per year on gas, nice small vacation trip with that saving. The car is good as transportation to work, but don't expect to do any racing with it, since the horse power on this car is very small. Love the car.

Nice for the price but needs improvement
By Peter O on 05/29/10 19:38 PM (PDT)

Very low depreciation makes lease payments as low as much cheaper entry level vehicles. Build quality is better then other cars under $20k but still needs improvement. The rubber weather strip molding along the roof keep falling off. The body panels seem to be very delicate. Just stare at them and they'll get a ding. I feel like it won't age well. The paint finish is just OK. I noticed several imperfections while waxing it. The interior is nice but again, doesn't seem to be hard wearing. The Auto Stop is annoying and despite the many custom settings in the computer, it cannot be disabled. Steering wheel blocks the view of the digital speedo.

Little Blue.
By BILL IN THE PINES on 05/19/10 13:44 PM (PDT)

I have only had the car for about 5 wks. She is very nimble and fun to drive.well built, great on gas.The dash layout is good and the info display keeps you informed. Once I figured out that the car is smarter then me, I just enjoy.

Enjoying the ride
By David M on 05/17/10 12:33 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I decided I wanted a commuter car to save on gas and reduce my contribution to pollution. I was first attracted to the InSight's look. Although it has a Prius shape it definitely looks more sporty to me. I realized I was buying a small car so wasn't overly concerned about the space in the back seats. Also, my Insight seems very quiet on the road even on the highway so not sure why some of the reviews say stuff about noise.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Honda Insight Hatchback in VA is:

$138 per month*