Used 2010 Honda Insight Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 198 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Very disappointed in Honda
By Mike

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I originally liked the idea of a cooler looking sportier Prius not made by Toyota, but buying the Insight was a very bad decision. Sure, it was fairly easy to exceed the fuel economy ratings, but in return you get a very insubstantial car and in many ways a poorly designed car. Many things on this car had me wondering if anybody at Honda even tested it for more than an afternoon. It got to the point to where the battery would recalibrate and die unpredictably, leaving you wondering if you had enough power to pull out into traffic. I found the drivetrain very jerky and unrefined, especially when starting and stopping, and it often felt as though the wheels were driven by a rubber band.

It got the advertised mileage, looks cool, that's about it.

More power, smoother, less jerky transmission, more stable highway ride, better on-center steering feel, better interior materials, smoother ride, quiet the buzzy engine, more rear headroom, improve quality throughout, fix navigation POI search bug

We got a lemon and Honda won't help
By Hammond

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Well, it's been about 8 months since we purchased the car and sadly, this Honda let us down majorly. At 12K, the check engine light blared and the screen gave us a warning sign that something was wrong with the hybrid system. Took it in and it turned out that the cooling system was shot. After 4 weeks in the shop, we took it and found they didn't fix it right since the car was vibrating when the battery kicked in. Not only that but our average mileage has dropped from 45 MPG to about 37 MPG. So I think we got a lemon but Honda isn't treating us right. We paid a premium for the Hybrid and we expect it. Should have coughed the extra $1500 for the Prius.

Besides the gadgets inside, the car is basically useless now that it gets no better mileage than a regular fit or civic

Better reliability and service. I understand that lemons come now and again but Honda isn't treating us right. Its our 3rd Honda and a huge disappointment

I'm In Love
By Great Car

I just bought my Insight and although I normally buy Fords, I have owned many Honda's as well, but this is my first Hybrid. I only have 500 miles on it but I wanted to write a review about this car. I fueled it for the first time yesterday, I had gone 412 miles and when the pump stopped at 8.5 gallons, I thought something was wrong. When I realized that it was full, I almost fainted. I got an amazing 48 MPG and it's not even broke in yet. One thing more, I feel good driving this car knowing I'm saving gas and the environment. Great Job Honda!

The Gadgets, dashboard, interior lighting on the dash, etc. The exterior styling is wonderful. It handles like a dream.

I wish it had just a little more power, but I understand that it needs to be like this to get the gas mileage it does. It is definitely teaching me to conserve fuel and it actually calms me down and I end up driving more conservatively.

Lots of problems
By 2010 insight driver

Battery/IMA does not work as it should. Been to 5 dealerships more then 10 times just getting the run around. Honda knows they have a major issue but will or can not offer any fix. MPG is: in city about 35 and on the highway 42. You don't need to spend 8K more to get this kind of mpg it is similar to regular Civic with a msrp of 15k. The paint job is poor. Car always feels like is having a hard time to change gear and to accelerate when going up the roads. The miles I put on this car the more issues are pumping up!

first 2k miles were fun after that issues after issues with IMA and transmission!

IMA Software AC

Better than expected
By Bill Gadbois

This was a white EX with 12,000 miles. Paid $16,000 before closing cost. Am still on my original tank of gas indicating 51 mpg, which is better than I had hoped for. Am driving with the Eco lite on and trying not to accelerate too hard. Have plugged a USB flashcard in with my favorite music. Will not subscribe to the Sirius capability. I find the car fun to drive with all the power I need. Have always been a heavy user of cruise control given sufficient room in front of me.

The CVT transmission, pump up and down seat, adjustable steering wheel column.

The tires feed back a lot of road noise and the ride at slow speeds is rough. The back seat head room is very limited.