2010 Honda Insight Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:
Lacking in many ways
By MrGooch on 08/04/10 11:24 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have had the car for over a month. Mileage has been running about 42-44 commuting to work. The navigation system is not worth it, bugs and out of date database. Entered B of A, selected one a 1000 miles a way. The hybrid battery needs to be about twice the capacity, runs out of steam too soon, any grade of more then 1/4 mile, then the engine revs up, which is noisy. Road noise is not as bad as some have commented on. No XM, should be standard with Nav, can be bought as an accessory but expensive. Worst sounding stereo I have had on new car in many years. Interior materials are flimsy and cheap, push my hand against the door and the material caved in and then popped back out.

So far so good
By WJS on 08/02/10 06:16 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Consistent 40 mpg in the city. Leaving the econ button on helps dramatically with mileage. A/C is cold cold cold. When you put the back seats down there is a lot of room. Only real issue is that it's not very torquey, imagine that, and it's somewhat sensitive to road contour. Handles well otherwise though. Brakes are great.

Great on gas...
By Labrynth on 07/30/10 12:54 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I came from an SUV and needed something with better mileage. This fit the bill. Auto stop has to be the most annoying feature, tho cup holder placement is a close second. Enough power for most merging situations, but acceleration is not fast and braking is jerky thanks to auto stop. Full of safety features. Features avail on most ex cars not available here and it annoying. Flash drive for music but boo to Honda for making it an Apple only mp3 player. I'm not an Apple lemming, thanks anyway. Feedback from car is adjustable which is nice. I could do without the paddle shifters. It's now ~ 2 months old with ~ 2500 miles on it.

Worth money and sacrifice
By commentator on 07/26/10 13:18 PM (PDT)

I bought Insight for short-distance commute to be green and gas economical. Satisfied with gas mileage, style, and general performance. I mistakenly used Ecomode in hot summer, and it turned off the air conditioner. I changed the mode back to normal, and it worked well. Extremely economical and driver- friendly. I used to drive a Ford Explore and really enjoyed it. But Insight is worth sacrificing the road- ego. Insight has higher ground clearance than Toyota Prius. Prius always hits the front bumper when getting on and off the driveway. For the same amenities, I paid $5,000 less than a Prius. Also, Toyota dealers were hard to deal with when Toyota was hot. They played tricks and price games.

I love my Honda Insight
By Dave on 07/24/10 08:54 AM (PDT)

I love to drive this car because it gets excellent gas mileage, the interior dashboard is exciting, the regenerative braking is easy on my foot, and I'm helping the earth by not consuming scarce resources. We are going to buy a second one and get rid of our gas hogging SUV.The Insight is my mojo.

MPG
By Ron Ott on 07/20/10 11:57 AM (PDT)

Contrary to EPA I get 50-54 MPG on the highway and around 47 overall since purchase.

Great car
By mikem1262 on 07/20/10 07:31 AM (PDT)

Great car. Plenty of power for a hybrid. Getting great mileage 51 mpg first 150 miles

Satisfied beyond expectation
By Hybrid Convert on 07/11/10 07:22 AM (PDT)

This review is an update to my earlier review. Driving the car for over 2 months now, I can say it is the best Hybrid money can buy today. Fuel economy is impressive, second to none. Averaging over 45 miles to a gallon so far. Read a lot of negative review's on other web sites. I don't know what are these people talking about. I wouldn't be surprised if they are coming from Toyota camp. Car is an absolute pleasure to drive, you won't break your bank account buying it and monthly savings on gas purchases are enormous. Even the smallest economy box presently on the market will not deliver the MPG of Honda Insight. For under 20K you get fully loaded, roomy, good looking, very reliable car.

Pass the gass stations
By tdandkids on 07/10/10 15:56 PM (PDT)

Love my Insight, running in eco mode I have been averaging 52 Mpg in combination city and highway driving and lose maybe a mile per gallon with the air conditioning on. Car is fun to drive and despite Edmund's comments I do not find the vehicle noisy on the highway. Controls are simple, stereo very nice and the usb connection great for my shuffle. Won't be disappointed with this car - believe me.

Awesome car, just get the EX trim
By Hammond on 06/26/10 20:31 PM (PDT)

I tried this car and the Toyota Prius and this car was the natural choice. It gets almost as good MPG (about 45 MPG city) and highway too. Along with the car being more fun to drive, the interior layout is actually the closest to a non-hybrid that you'll get I love the ECON system that allows you to drive more efficient and the "trophy system" with rewards. Kudos to Honda for that and the paddle shifters put some REAL fun into driving the car. One suggestion if your going to buy this car: Get the EX trim. The $1500 is worth what you get: cruise control, 15" alloys, vanity mirrors on the sun visors (Don't why those aren't standard), stability and traction control with USB con. and 6 speakers

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Honda Insight Hatchback in VA is:

$138 per month*