2010 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:
New shoes for the kid
By joet on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is not a luxury car. It gets great mpg. Suspension is pretty stiff. Tires awful. I drive curvey roads and wore tires out in 20k. I got new shoes for the kid, they are new Continental ProContact with EcoPlus tires. They are awesome. I went with one size taller tire (185). 2.5% larger circumference. At 80 mph really doing 82.5 mph. Very satisfied with handling now. Motor assist is not as seamless as they advertise. My wife hates it. Car looks sharp. AC or heat works fine on average days. On very cold or very hot days you need to dress accordingly. Heating and ac is fine in any condition if you are traveling more then 10 miles. Overall I enjoy my toy. Good value

Easy 50 mpg
By dtl on 10/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

How can US gov. can rate this hybrid gas electric at 40 mpg? I easily get 50 mpg with guidance from the built in monitors. Prius owners ask how is the mileage and have expressed that they are not happy with their mileage. I think this vehicle will be great for Teenagers as it teaches you how to drive efficiently and rewards you for doing so. The seats are completely adjustable and very comfortable. I chose this vehicle for mileage, styling, and the fact that it has 1 cubic foot more storage space in the back than the Civic.

Real world mpg is 50+
By Donna on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this car for a year now and I love it. My mpg has averaged 51 over 20K miles. The dash def teaches you how to drive efficiently and it is fun to try to continually improve your driving habits and mpg. I am baffled by the "official" mpg rating of 41-43, I do try to drive well but I don't do anything crazy to get my results. I have no complaints at all, I love driving this car.

First Hybrid, I will never go back.
By waypeter on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After driving the Insight for a month, I am in love it it. My old car was a 99 Lexus ES300. Although going from Lexus to Honda is a step down in brand, the technology in Insight is more advance then my old Lexus. I'm 5'9" and I don't feel the car is small in the front or rear. However, I do wish the electronic system do more job, so it will get more MPG. So far, I'm doing 41 MPG combined.

The Car that refunds money at the pomp
By walt on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have 40,000 miles on the car now and drive 2000 to 7000 miles on trips. I would like a seat that is not so uncomfortable. But the 42 lo in town and 54 (as Hi as 57 hi) on the road is better than expected. On road trips it is always over 52 mpg. So, is it worth it? YES but comfort could improve. Also, a turbo or some additional power is needed.

Great car for the price!
By ThreeHondaFamily on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

An excellent economy car overall. Many of the observations made by others are true: The motor is buzzy at high RPM. ECON mode turns it into a total slug. Forget using this mode if you live in a hilly area. I do, and I leave it turned off and shift into Sport mode almost exclusively. Even so, I'm still averaging 39 MPG. A worthy sacrifice for improved pep. Handling is good for a car with tires that skinny. The styling is pleasing and it draws positive attention from onlookers. There's a lot of hard plastic in the interior. Some slightly softer surfaces might have been nice. Predictable Honda road noise, but hey, it's a $19k car, not a Lexus. Overall, I'm very pleased.

Bang for the buck
By seahurst on 09/04/10 18:34 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have now driven a year. Previously had a Toyota Celica for 20 yrs. Toyota service locally had gone downhill, so looked at the Honda. More care for the money. I like the fact that the car starts from gasoline power versus the battery. You give up a couple of miles per gallon, but I like getting out of dodge from a dead stop. Auto-Stop takes some getting used - when you change the temp, you have reset Auto- Stop. Minor issue. I hope the paint holds up as well as my Toyota did.

The Car That ONLY Last 6 Months!
By Liz on 09/04/10 08:24 AM (PDT)

I have had my Insight for almost a year. I love the lights in the inside and the cool gadgets within the car. There is just one major problem! The car completely falls apart. I can take apart ever piece of my car without any muscle used. Between the water protective rubber around the windows and car.. to the visors and handle bars within the cars. The paint job is poor and the car always feels like is having a hard time slowing down. Not the smoothest ride. The back ceiling is very low. Too low in fact.

Better Than Advertised
By Climatechanger on 08/30/10 13:51 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just filled up for the first time with my Honda Insight. 9 gallons even on 485 miles. That's nearly 53.9 MPG! I am very pleased with the mileage. I watch the iP screens like a hawk and drive to maximize my mileage. It's my new hobby and it's fun. I won't win any drag races, but when gasoline hits 4 bucks a gallon I won't care so much.

Had Civic Hybrid and Prius
By lindguini on 08/27/10 23:02 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My previous car was a 2007 Civic Hybrid and so the Insight was an easy transition. Our second car is a 2008 Prius which is our preferred people hauler. The Insight is much more responsive in acceleration and handling. The front seats are very supportive and the car has a firm, European feel in the steering and suspension. The engine is quiet except under hard acceleration where it gets a bit buzzy. The build quality is superb inside and out --it just feels solid. I mainly drive stop-and-go Los Angeles streets and average 44+ mpg. The Insight is hands-down more fun-to-drive than our Prius but the Toyota is capable of higher fuel efficiency. The Insight is Honda's best hybrid effort so far.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Honda Insight in VA is:

$138 per month*