2010 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:
Car dead for the third time
By yuk on 02/12/11 12:42 PM (PST)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Today on Saturday morning for the third time after I bought iit n September 2010 the car not responding to anything probably again because of dead battery. When the car is running it is OK, giving me around 42 MPG after 11K miles on rush hour highway/city. However, this dead car problems are the HUGE one. Usually, it happening if you are not using the car for couple days suggesting some battery drain. First time, the battery was replaced by local Honda service dealer. Second time, despite testing they didn't find any problems. Now, after couple weeks the car again dead leaving me w/o car for the whole weekend. If anybody have suggestions that I can pass to dealers would be appreciated.

after 25k miles: the facts plus a few comments
By rickinseagrove on 01/12/11 10:43 AM (PST)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The car is very econmical to operate and gets way better mileage than EPA estimate. Lifetime average fuel economy to date is 51 MPG (measured). Best tank average to date is 60 MPG (measured). The car computer over estimates mileage by 2 or 3 MPG. It gets significantly better mileage in the summer than in the winter. The 60 MPG tank average was during Aug. in Florida with slightly overinflated (40 PSI) tires on my daily 25 mile commute. I've change the oil 3 times in 25k miles. No other maintenance cost or issues to date. Honda replaced the IMA battery for free after a warning light came on when it was 2 months old. Really like the styling but they should use better interior materials. iLuvIt

Insightful!!!
By insightfulbob on 01/11/11 18:21 PM (PST)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just picked up car two days ago, love it already. Will have to get back to you all in a month or so to let you know about mileage. I was going to purchase , but for those who are interested, there is a great lease deal going on right now. Zero down,$210 per month, 36 months, plus a buy option. Jump on it!!! Paid a little more (223) per month for EX, but NO SALES TAX.

Pleasant Surprise, Insight on the Rise
By luna9 on 01/05/11 05:54 AM (PST)

I came about the 2010 Insight EX-Navi while searching for a new Honda Accord. Being in the market for a quality sedan with decent mpg and storage, I was surprised to learn that the Insight was priced so reasonably ... and had excellent storage capacity. To be honest I completely forgot about the re-release of this Honda hybrid (Prius has earned the preeminent hybrid spotlight). However, the Honda Insight deserves more than a second glance with it's svelte interior, responsive driving experience, and higher-than-stated EPA actual gas mileage. Price all of these features a minimum of $2,200 kess AND put in a Honda package you can trust and you've got a steal for a hybrid hatchback under $20k.

Insight is out of sight
By peta on 12/29/10 19:57 PM (PST)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just got my insight and it seems to be a very good car to have. I love the econ assist light display. The car gives me all the power I need get there in. Tonight when I say my prayers I will thank God for letting me have this car.

Not a cold weather vehicle
By Anonymous on 12/07/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I really like my new Honda Insight. It is really fun to drive & I love the way I feel in the driver's seat. The only issue I have with this vehicle is that I can't get anywhere close to the advertised gas mileage when it is cold outside. The cold engine light comes on & I get about 20 mpg. Can't wait until SPRING!

Very disappointed in Honda
By Mike on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

I originally liked the idea of a cooler looking sportier Prius not made by Toyota, but buying the Insight was a very bad decision. Sure, it was fairly easy to exceed the fuel economy ratings, but in return you get a very insubstantial car and in many ways a poorly designed car. Many things on this car had me wondering if anybody at Honda even tested it for more than an afternoon. It got to the point to where the battery would recalibrate and die unpredictably, leaving you wondering if you had enough power to pull out into traffic. I found the drivetrain very jerky and unrefined, especially when starting and stopping, and it often felt as though the wheels were driven by a rubber band.

We got a lemon and Honda won't help
By Hammond on 11/23/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Well, it's been about 8 months since we purchased the car and sadly, this Honda let us down majorly. At 12K, the check engine light blared and the screen gave us a warning sign that something was wrong with the hybrid system. Took it in and it turned out that the cooling system was shot. After 4 weeks in the shop, we took it and found they didn't fix it right since the car was vibrating when the battery kicked in. Not only that but our average mileage has dropped from 45 MPG to about 37 MPG. So I think we got a lemon but Honda isn't treating us right. We paid a premium for the Hybrid and we expect it. Should have coughed the extra $1500 for the Prius.

I'm In Love
By Great Car on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just bought my Insight and although I normally buy Fords, I have owned many Honda's as well, but this is my first Hybrid. I only have 500 miles on it but I wanted to write a review about this car. I fueled it for the first time yesterday, I had gone 412 miles and when the pump stopped at 8.5 gallons, I thought something was wrong. When I realized that it was full, I almost fainted. I got an amazing 48 MPG and it's not even broke in yet. One thing more, I feel good driving this car knowing I'm saving gas and the environment. Great Job Honda!

Lots of problems
By 2010 insight driver on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

Battery/IMA does not work as it should. Been to 5 dealerships more then 10 times just getting the run around. Honda knows they have a major issue but will or can not offer any fix. MPG is: in city about 35 and on the highway 42. You don't need to spend 8K more to get this kind of mpg it is similar to regular Civic with a msrp of 15k. The paint job is poor. Car always feels like is having a hard time to change gear and to accelerate when going up the roads. The miles I put on this car the more issues are pumping up!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Honda Insight in VA is:

$123 per month*