Used 2010 Honda Insight Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Insights to the Insight
By hunter20ga

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had my Insight EX for ten months and still find it fun to drive, easy on gas, generally well-designed and (annoyingly) still regularly mistaken by friends, colleagues and the general public for a Prius. I've put 5500 miles on it and averaged just under 44 mpg. (I live on the hilly end of town, make multiple short trips every week, and live in a cold climate (it never got above freezing all February) so have many factors lowering realized mpg. I have gotten as high as 48.5 mpg for 300+ mile trips on the interstate. I test drove the 2010 Prius as well as the Civic hybrid. Both are fine cars, but the Insight was best for me.

Instrument cluster, performance (combo of mileage, handling, acceleration and braking), real-time readout of gas mileage (helps the driver learn to maximize fuel economy and actually "see" the impact of rabbit starts, hard braking, etc.)

Cup holders in center console are awkwardly placed and cramped. Front headrests have an uncomfortable angle for me (5'8"). Floor mats and cargo cover should be standard, not dealer options.

Insight Trumps Prius
By Bill

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Simply outstanding Green Machine. Fuel economy (45 mph average) is 47 with heat/AC on, and over 50 with heat/AC off! Good acceleration and excellent response. Couldn't be happier. Why pay more for a Prius and get less?

Real-time fuel economy feedback. Excellent response in and around town. Good performance on highway.

Rear hatch partially obscures visibility of following traffic.

Insight after 5000 miles
By cd

The car does nothing to clue you in that you are driving a hybrid except shut down when you stop and return excellent mpg. I have gotten from 40 to 62 mpg on trips and of course the cold start, short trips get the lowest and the under 55 mph longer trips get the best. If you go 70 mph on the highway you will get better mpg with the econ mode off. As for the paddle shifters I have not made use of them except on a trip through the Great Smoky mountains. I would downshift to keep the car from running away on the long downward grades, otherwise I would have worn the brakes out because the regenerative braking was not working because the battery was charged to the max due to the downward grade.

Handling, heated side mirrors, speed sensitive radio volume, mpg

HID headlights (which I added), a little smoother suspension

great car!
By teacher

Have enjoyed getting to know my Insight having driven for it almost a year now. Mileage is terrific - colder weather was around 40 mpg and with weather warming up i am now getting 44-45. can't beat that. headlights could be improved - needs broader area of light. also the split back window, while a beautiful design, is a little odd for seeing out back and backing up. overall, a great car with a great ride. the added leather interior is a nice upgrade!

We bought another one
By cgold

We liked our insight so much that my wife bought one for herself. We both get more than the EPA mileage estimate. The car is fun and easy to drive. We can fit four adults easily and there has been no complaint of lack of headroom in the rear. We look forward to the hybrid fit as we would like to have a small SUV that gets great gas mileage.

mileage, easy to drive, looks good, well equipped for the price.

Lack of comfort on long drives. Doors occasionally do not automatically unlock. Rough engine transition from off mode to idle at red lights.