2010 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:
Great Hybrid!
By Black 2010 Insight on 05/18/09 05:45 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Of the hybrids I've driven (Prius, Camry, Highlander, Civic), this drives the most like a "standard" vehicle. You will notice when the engine shuts off when stopped, or the regenerative breaking, but its not nearly as obvious as in other vehicles. This car is smooth, handles great (compared to the Prius, which is a great car, but drives like a toaster- oven on wheels), and relatively quiet. It also has pretty good power for a hybid -- the pick-up is there when you need to accelerate quickly.

Excellent car for the money.
By Chris on 05/16/09 10:45 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a car that delivers what you expect for the money. An affordable hybrid that clearly was constructed with a budget in mind but never feels overly cheap. Yes, there is a lot of hard plastic and purchasing the LX model deprives you of cruise control, nice wheels and an armrest. But still, in the hybrid market at least, I think it's the best bang for the buck.

Juan's New Hybrid
By Juan Valdez on 05/14/09 08:36 AM (PDT)

When I did the math this car will not pay for itself in 10 years. In the mean time my head hits the door edge getting in and out and I'm only 5'8". The back seat is for decoration as my teens can't fit in there with the sloping roof and no leg room. The interior is very plastic with only one cheap removable drink holder for 2 small child size cups. The fabric seems cheap too and stains easily with it's dirty looking brownish gray color. It even has the cheap Dunlop tires. Be careful when you lean on it. I should have bought that Honda Fit. Though it's a lot cheaper, it essentially gets the same real world gas mileage. The Fit is just as tiny and plastic, but will save a bundle of cash!!

Takes getting used to...
By Cami on 05/09/09 18:39 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've never owned a Honda or a hybrid, so this car was hard for me to get used to. My biggest complaint is the jerking it does while breaking (the electronic brake distribution). When taking your foot off the brake while slowing down, the car continues to break on its own. I miss the power of my sports car & feel the need to accelerate very slowly to keep my rating green. This car is priced to be a less expensive hybrid & is cut back on the inside (no lock on the glove compartment, small center console, lock button only on drivers side, 1 power outlet, no leather). There are a lot of neat features to make up for it though: Eco guide, maintenance reminder, auto climate, Aux/USB ports, sport mode.

Very Happy
By Ecofriend on 05/08/09 10:32 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've only had my Insight a week but love it so far. It's fun to drive and since I have about a 90 mile round trip commute I really love the mileage. Mine is getting 43 mpg which is right in line with the EPA. Plenty of room up front and not so roomy in the back.

Early Insight
By IBWong on 05/07/09 10:02 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Perfect commuter car. Great gas mileage and safety features. Useful trunk size and helpful Eco-Assist info in terms of helping one optimize one's driving habits for best economy. Rearward visibility a bit restricted with highback child's booster seat installed.

2010 Honda Insight w/ Navi
By m. cobb on 05/04/09 22:17 PM (PDT)

What a great vehicle! I have always liked the first generation of Honda Insights, however I was unsure of the technology. I almost purchased a Toyota Prius last year, but the price drove me away. I have own my Insight for a week now playing with different methods of maximizing my fuel economy. The best I have obtained was 58.4 mpg at 64 mph, Eco button ON, cruise OFF and the A/C ON 58! I am impressed!! My combined driving is around 40.8 mpg. It is a really nice driving vehicle, despite it being a "hybrid". I have gotten two(2) thumbs up from some nice looking ladies, so I think it is attracting some attention... LOL! Now I am looking for a nice used 2006 Honda Insight to play with.

Good Car for City Commuting
By John on 05/03/09 06:08 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Well I got inspired and traded in my 2008 CRV for an Insight. I have an average commute of 40 mile per day total with about 4 miles of city driving. I live in San Antonio and my last 5 miles of my commute is stop and go traffic. Anybody who drives 281 North in the evening will know stop and go should really be stop and stop traffic. I have 1400 miles on the car and am averaging all around 45.2 MPG. I will admit I do miss the CRV, but I am a city driver only and with the exception of going back and forth to work I do not do that much additional driving... bottom line. I like the car. Even though gas is down right now we all know when this economy get back on track will be looking ^$ gas.

Try it, you'll like it.
By Tim on 04/29/09 18:35 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I considered buying a Prius given the deals currently available. But, after driving an Insight I bought it the same day. Not to say that the Prius isn't a good bargain at the moment, I just found the Insight to be a better overall car. Yes... a little smaller, mileage not quite as good. On the other hand, more comfortable driving position and much more fun to drive. Took it on a 700 mile trip this past weekend. Quite comfortable for myself, my wife and one 8 year old. Put it in sports mode for the Long Island Expressway and you're good to go!

Great Car So Far
By shlomo875 on 04/27/09 00:51 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have driven my Insight about 250 miles in Los Angeles (combined city/highway, hills, etc) and so far have averaged about 37 mpg. Not too bad at all. It's a pretty smooth ride, though I wasn't prepared for how much the Econ feature would take away from my A/C when I was stopped at a light and it was about 98 degrees outside (that's the price paid for running on battery power alone, which is what happens when you stop with the Econ on). Getting on the highway is a strain, but of course that is little surprise for this size engine. The instrument console is the least satisfying aspect of the vehicle, but the positive aspects make it well worth it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Honda Insight in VA is:

$138 per month*