Used 2010 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

2010 Honda Insight

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Most Helpful|
First month in the books
By aw2pp

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought mine this month, after running an old Ford Focus into the ground. First tank of gas returned 46 mpg in mixed driving, in ECO mode, with AC mostly on. And I have learned quite a bit in these last few weeks about driving in a way that maximizes fuel efficiency. I think 50+ regular is well within reach. I am 6'5", and have little trouble getting in a comfortable driving position. Thankfully, I don't tote anyone around the back seat (which is one of the reasons for choosing the car in the first place). Not much room back there. I know there are complaints about road noise, but in comparison with my previous car (a 2002 Ford Focus), this Insight is a vault at highway speeds.

Favorite Features

Mileage and the various tools for training the driver how to tailor their driving habits to maximize it. CVT. Nice to get luxuries like climate control in this otherwise spartan econobox, too.

Suggested Improvements

I know Honda was going minimalist here, but how hard would it be to put some audio controls on the steering wheel? I'd trade my paddle shifters for those any day. I could also use a cargo cover, because now I can't carry golf clubs around in the trunk anymore.

It's a simple hybrid...
By fromguzzlertogreen

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I chose the insight since I couldnt see myself in a prius. I drove an 2007 BMW M5 that gave me mechanical problems and bad gas. I was looking for greatest gas mileage plus prestige that only came with a hybrid like prius- Insight was just the car. In CA-it was great since it's warm. No need for heating. Drove to seattle for $80 in gas. Now, I am averaging 34-36MPG- not happy with these #'s. I have to remind myself I bought it for the distinction, otherwise I should have spend less on a civic.

Favorite Features

I like the simplicity of the car. the fact its a car with hybrid tech not like the prius- too many gadgets and way to pricey.

Suggested Improvements

fix the cold weather issue with hybrid technology. Rear view mirror should be a little bigger.Add leather and more features..

Bugs in design; better than expected MPG
By Bird Dog

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Insight is extremely fun to drive. Our average MPG is also much better than the EPA report, 46-48 on every tank.

Favorite Features

The Econ mode is like a video game that you use to better your fuel economy. Earning 5 trees is like getting a little reward from a slot machine; it keeps you coming back for more.

Suggested Improvements

The exterior trim is horrific and needs to be recalled, in my opinion. The trim comes off every time we take the car through a car wash with blow dryers or when we drive in windy conditions. The trim is held on with little hooks instead of being glued down. Terrible idea, Honda!

Not enough power for Texas summer
By In Texas

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Although I look like sportiness of the car, don't buy it if you live somewhere hot like Texas. When you come to a stoplight, the A/C turns off. You can override by turning off the Econ button, but then what is the point of having a hybrid. I've also found it doesn't have enough power to accelerate when merging into traffic with the hills we have here. I've owned Honda's for 25 years and was adamant about not getting a Prius, but now I'm regretting it. I do like the ability to see gas mileage and how my driving affects it, and I'm getting good gas mileage, although not as good as my Prius friends.

Favorite Features

External sportiness, mileage displays, ability to raise seat up high.

Suggested Improvements

Don't have the A/C turn off when you stop, remove the bar from the rearview, give the remote enough power that it works farther away (I have to be next to the car for it to work).

Juan's New Hybrid
By Juan Valdez

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

When I did the math this car will not pay for itself in 10 years. In the mean time my head hits the door edge getting in and out and I'm only 5'8". The back seat is for decoration as my teens can't fit in there with the sloping roof and no leg room. The interior is very plastic with only one cheap removable drink holder for 2 small child size cups. The fabric seems cheap too and stains easily with it's dirty looking brownish gray color. It even has the cheap Dunlop tires. Be careful when you lean on it. I should have bought that Honda Fit. Though it's a lot cheaper, it essentially gets the same real world gas mileage. The Fit is just as tiny and plastic, but will save a bundle of cash!!

Favorite Features

Nice color paint.

Suggested Improvements

Leather seat option, higher roof line, some metal or padded interior would be nice. More cup holders. Better performance for the expensive sacrifice. More comfortable seating. Get rid of the Nintendo like lights and gauges. Lower the price by about $4000. Floor mats and fog lights for the price!!!!!