2010 Honda Insight Hatchback Consumer Reviews 17

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:
A Mean Little Hybrid
By Misty on 06/26/09 15:30 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I absolutely love my Insight. I love the way it handles like a Honda versus other hybrids. The dash panel makes viewing and learning how to properly drive a hybrid a breeze. I highly recommend this vehicle for handling, gas mileage, and a stylish look for the exterior. It is the meanest looking hybrid on the market (if a safer for the environment car can be mean).

First month in the books
By aw2pp on 06/25/09 12:15 PM (PDT)

Bought mine this month, after running an old Ford Focus into the ground. First tank of gas returned 46 mpg in mixed driving, in ECO mode, with AC mostly on. And I have learned quite a bit in these last few weeks about driving in a way that maximizes fuel efficiency. I think 50+ regular is well within reach. I am 6'5", and have little trouble getting in a comfortable driving position. Thankfully, I don't tote anyone around the back seat (which is one of the reasons for choosing the car in the first place). Not much room back there. I know there are complaints about road noise, but in comparison with my previous car (a 2002 Ford Focus), this Insight is a vault at highway speeds.

WOW
By EM on 06/25/09 04:18 AM (PDT)

All I can say is I love this car. The ride is like a much bigger, more expensive car. I keep reading about the lack of power, but I can't say that I would buy a hybrid if I was looking for power. The MPG's for me are much more than it was rated. Even if I go 75 on the interstate, I still never ever got under 47 MPG. I average 50 MPG. Love the auto A/C and the auto volume control. The only thing I am not sure about are the shifter pedals on the steering wheel. I know what they do, but I have yet to use them... All in all I LOVE my Insight.

I chose to give my money to Japan
By Lewie Tillman on 06/21/09 06:04 AM (PDT)

Overall, a great little car. I wish it was a "peoples" car, but I think its as close as we are going to get. The power is good, although the hesitation on takeoff was hard to take at first until it taught me that that hesitation meant more money in my pocket in fuel savings. Down here in Florida the a/c shutoff at dead stop isn't going to go over well. Nonetheless, in winter, spring and fall it will be manageable and, there again, save bucks. One reviewer said a/c stays on out of Econ mode--I will try that. My overall mileage has been around 43 mpg by the cars calculator. It has a really solid, comfortable ride and tight steering. I think I may be falling in love again.

Insight, not only insightful, delightful
By mcgirl99 on 06/20/09 15:53 PM (PDT)

I drive a lot in my line of work as a claims adjuster. I'm getting between 43-48 on my highway drives, so I'm definitely loving this car. Costs me less than $25 to fill up. Can fit two kids (ages 6 & 8) nicely. My two boxer dogs fit nicely in the hatch area even with the back seat in position. If you are on the fence, take the jump. This is a great car!!!

It's a good car. Period.
By Honda first-timer on 06/19/09 11:05 AM (PDT)

I compared the I2 to a number of other compact cars in the sub-$20k range. It drives better than any other car except for the Honda Fit. The driving feel is nearly as solid as the Saab 9-3 I own, except of course for the lack of 90 extra horses and no turbo. It's also a lot quieter on the inside than the hodgepodge of cars I've owned previously (I know several magazines said the interior is noisy -maybe compared to a Lexus?). Though it's not as tall as the Fit, with less cargo volume, the I2 can fit longer items which is useful for me. The so-called blind spot doesn't bother me -it's negated by the giant mirrors. Take the I2 on its merits as a car and the only competitor is the Fit.

Great car, so far
By GodOfThunder on 06/03/09 07:18 AM (PDT)

I've only had it a few days, so I'm sure I'll come back to this review. I'm averaging about 47MPG with city driving in Florida with the AC blasting. In "eco" mode, the car is slow. That is how it is supposed to be. However, in "sport" mode, it has enough pickup to get moving quite well. The auto shutoff takes a little getting used to but can be turned off by not using "eco" mode. The ride is smooth and quiet and the car is well-made like most Hondas. The USB interface for iPods is great as well as the fuel economy screens and the plethora of information it supplies to you to improve your driving. I strongly suggest the EX for Cruise Control.

The Hallelujah Hybrid
By hunter20ga on 06/01/09 17:41 PM (PDT)

The Honda Insight makes you want to shout "hallelujah!" Finally, a hybrid with vigor! No one will confuse this car with the sporty Civic Si, but neither will you feel left in the dust at every stoplight in normal traffic. The Insight is responsive, fun to drive, and easy on the eyes. The interior is competitive in the price range. Seats could be upgraded some, though, with more adjustment for both driver and front passenger. Expect to beat the EPA ratings...my first 500 miles (about 65% highway and 35% city) yielded a nice 46.5 mpg, even with a strong quartering wind for the last 125 miles that knocked about a mile per gallon off the trip's average.

A decent compromise
By mheikka on 05/30/09 22:35 PM (PDT)

The 2010 Insight is a decent compromise for the money. It is a good second or commuter-only car, provided your other car can carry all of the people and junk in your life. Despite having 4 doors, it is really a 2 seater car with room for 5 year old children occasionally. Most of the complaints (modest acceleration, engine noise, small back seat, blind spots, road noise, A/C shuts off at stoplights, short seat cushions, etc.) are true, but not unexpected for a small, inexpensive commuter hybrid. If you want a solid little commuter with its associated compromises, it is a solid choice.

Great Decision
By Greg on 05/28/09 13:46 PM (PDT)

Currently averaging 45.3 miles per gallon, and on various trips averaged 55 to 60 mpg (95% of my driving has been on econ mode). The car was carefully put together and made affordable for a 25 year old like me. Missing some luxury and quality, but happy with the simplicity that the car brings. I am 6'2" and have plenty of head room, and distance between me and the steering wheel. Could get a little tight in the back for someone my size, but it is manageable. The technological features are useful. If you are patient and smart on the road, then you will maximize the efficiency of this car, and also find time to play with the sporty features.