Used 2010 Honda Insight Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Much better MPG than EPA ratings!
By Lenny

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just filled up for the first time-better than 44 mpg (actual) since new 370 miles). My other car is a 2003 Jetta TDI. The Insight is different-it lacks the outstanding road feel of the VW, but is much smoother and less noisy. Fun to drive, great gadgetry (nav with bluetooth link). Decent road feel and handling.

Favorite Features

Quiet. Smooth. Excellent fit/finish. Front seats. Cargo hold.

Suggested Improvements

A little more rear headroom. HID headlights. Defeat switch for auto-stop.

Insight over Prius
By APinMD

Always wanted a hybrid, by default that meant the Prius. Test drove both in one day (within an hour-highly recommend). Insight surprised spouse and me--we both loved it WAY more than Prius. Very easy and user friendly displays, love the instant MPG color feedback. Very good pick-up, can zip around quickly, never guess it's a hybrid. I leave it in Eco Mode all the time. Start/stop driving: I get ~43- 45 mpg with regular driving style, 49- 50 with some effort to "green" my driving style :) On the highway up to 55 mpg with little effort. I LOVE this car. Never thought I'd like anything better than my 2003 Jetta. But I DO!

Favorite Features

Instant MPG feedback (helps with training your driving style), automatic climate control, hatchback, very roomy, son can strap himself into car seat since buckle protrudes nicely.

Suggested Improvements

Heated and electric seats, vanity mirror lights, larger armrest/console, leather option, more high-end features.

Fun Battery Car
By Lund

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Perfect car for commuter and/or run-about-towners. Handling makes up for lack of acceleration and 45+mpg makes up for everything else. Very up-market exterior styling blows away Prius plus one can stop the car when one wants!

Favorite Features

MPG, Computer readout showing how you economically you are driving.

Suggested Improvements

Wider cabin with more insulation against road noise.

Insights to the Insight
By hunter20ga

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had my Insight EX for ten months and still find it fun to drive, easy on gas, generally well-designed and (annoyingly) still regularly mistaken by friends, colleagues and the general public for a Prius. I've put 5500 miles on it and averaged just under 44 mpg. (I live on the hilly end of town, make multiple short trips every week, and live in a cold climate (it never got above freezing all February) so have many factors lowering realized mpg. I have gotten as high as 48.5 mpg for 300+ mile trips on the interstate. I test drove the 2010 Prius as well as the Civic hybrid. Both are fine cars, but the Insight was best for me.

Favorite Features

Instrument cluster, performance (combo of mileage, handling, acceleration and braking), real-time readout of gas mileage (helps the driver learn to maximize fuel economy and actually "see" the impact of rabbit starts, hard braking, etc.)

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders in center console are awkwardly placed and cramped. Front headrests have an uncomfortable angle for me (5'8"). Floor mats and cargo cover should be standard, not dealer options.

Insight Trumps Prius
By Bill

Simply outstanding Green Machine. Fuel economy (45 mph average) is 47 with heat/AC on, and over 50 with heat/AC off! Good acceleration and excellent response. Couldn't be happier. Why pay more for a Prius and get less?

Favorite Features

Real-time fuel economy feedback. Excellent response in and around town. Good performance on highway.

Suggested Improvements

Rear hatch partially obscures visibility of following traffic.