2010 Honda Insight Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:
My Experience with 2010 Honda Insight
By Jeff on 07/12/09 19:35 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got a 2010 Honda Insight two weeks ago. I was considering an equivalently optioned Honda Civic non-Hybrid but my Insight was only $1,500. In addition, it gave me more space, split seats, and better interior along with the higher MPG. Sleeker modern look. Drives tighter than the Prius I test drove and more peppy. Prius rolled more in turns. More HP than the Civic gas I test drove since electric motor augments gas motor. I've been averaging 48 MPG without much effort so I am puzzled by the EPA rating. Some reported Prius was actually getting less but Insight more than the EPA MPG. My experience confirmed this, at least for the Insight. Therefore, Prius is worth the thousands more.

Insight is a sight to behold!
By Phyllis Ponisciak on 07/06/09 07:36 AM (PDT)

My husband needed a car to commute back and forth to work. He always wanted a hybrid and had his mind set on a prius. We looked at them first but the dealers in our area would not reduce the sticker price. So we looked at the insight because they are similar in style and are a little cheaper. This car is perfect for our needs and is fun to drive. The dashboard has great displays and easily shows how the car is performing. If you are looking for reliable transportation that gets great gas mileage, buy this car. The back seat and storage area are not huge, but there's plenty of room for our small grandchildren and a big shopping trip. The car has plenty of pick-up and is easy to drive.

So far so good
By heidicat on 07/03/09 21:18 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

So far I really like my insight. Only real problem is plastic on hatchback broke part with light so I have to get it replaced. Love the mpg and enough room for my two kids and shopping. Wish she had a little more power on the hills but I've learned to be light on the peddle.

You gotta be kidding...
By beachmom on 07/01/09 21:33 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It is hard for me to type as my neck and shoulder's hurt from holding a steering wheel that operates like a go-cart or video game. This car cannot handle any sort of incline. People were passing me on the right to get around me. The mileage isn't that much better than any of the traditional smaller gas cars. My only consolation is putting less money in the hands of the gas companies. No room to speak of in the back, maybe for groceries. Looking out the back window is ridiculous, the window is split in half. A terrible design. My husband liked the car, and stupidly I didn't drive it before we bought it. The stereo is tinny and cheap, not for music lovers.

I love it
By Hutch42 on 06/29/09 13:39 PM (PDT)

While Consumer Reports has just reported on this car and they do not recommend it, I totally disagree. While it has many of the "faults" indicated by Consumer Reports, it meets my needs perfectly. It is nice looking, drives nicely, rides nicely, and gets great gas mileage. After over 1,000 miles in this car, I've averaged around 50 mpg. At 6 ft. in height, I have never hit my head entering the car. The driving position is comfortable and I have plenty of head and leg room. The only down side, in my opinion, is that it seems to work hard climbing long hills, but I've had it up to 80 mph. going up hills.

A Mean Little Hybrid
By Misty on 06/26/09 15:30 PM (PDT)

I absolutely love my Insight. I love the way it handles like a Honda versus other hybrids. The dash panel makes viewing and learning how to properly drive a hybrid a breeze. I highly recommend this vehicle for handling, gas mileage, and a stylish look for the exterior. It is the meanest looking hybrid on the market (if a safer for the environment car can be mean).

First month in the books
By aw2pp on 06/25/09 12:15 PM (PDT)

Bought mine this month, after running an old Ford Focus into the ground. First tank of gas returned 46 mpg in mixed driving, in ECO mode, with AC mostly on. And I have learned quite a bit in these last few weeks about driving in a way that maximizes fuel efficiency. I think 50+ regular is well within reach. I am 6'5", and have little trouble getting in a comfortable driving position. Thankfully, I don't tote anyone around the back seat (which is one of the reasons for choosing the car in the first place). Not much room back there. I know there are complaints about road noise, but in comparison with my previous car (a 2002 Ford Focus), this Insight is a vault at highway speeds.

WOW
By EM on 06/25/09 04:18 AM (PDT)

All I can say is I love this car. The ride is like a much bigger, more expensive car. I keep reading about the lack of power, but I can't say that I would buy a hybrid if I was looking for power. The MPG's for me are much more than it was rated. Even if I go 75 on the interstate, I still never ever got under 47 MPG. I average 50 MPG. Love the auto A/C and the auto volume control. The only thing I am not sure about are the shifter pedals on the steering wheel. I know what they do, but I have yet to use them... All in all I LOVE my Insight.

I chose to give my money to Japan
By Lewie Tillman on 06/21/09 06:04 AM (PDT)

Overall, a great little car. I wish it was a "peoples" car, but I think its as close as we are going to get. The power is good, although the hesitation on takeoff was hard to take at first until it taught me that that hesitation meant more money in my pocket in fuel savings. Down here in Florida the a/c shutoff at dead stop isn't going to go over well. Nonetheless, in winter, spring and fall it will be manageable and, there again, save bucks. One reviewer said a/c stays on out of Econ mode--I will try that. My overall mileage has been around 43 mpg by the cars calculator. It has a really solid, comfortable ride and tight steering. I think I may be falling in love again.

Insight, not only insightful, delightful
By mcgirl99 on 06/20/09 15:53 PM (PDT)

I drive a lot in my line of work as a claims adjuster. I'm getting between 43-48 on my highway drives, so I'm definitely loving this car. Costs me less than $25 to fill up. Can fit two kids (ages 6 & 8) nicely. My two boxer dogs fit nicely in the hatch area even with the back seat in position. If you are on the fence, take the jump. This is a great car!!!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Honda Insight Hatchback in NJ is:

$209 per month*