Used 2010 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Honda gives us a gem
By Alex

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My initial attitude toward this car was less than enthusiastic, its EPA estimates are 10 mpg less than the Prius and only 10 more than the Fit. However, after driving the Insight a couple of thousand miles and averaging 49.7 mpg, it is apparent that the EPA estimates on the insight are much too conservative. I can easily get 60+ mpg around town if I pay close attention to the innovative fuel economy indicators on the Insight's dash. Its more fun to drive than the Prius, gets much better mileage than the EPA estimates, and is around $6,000 less expensive. Undoubtedly, this is the best value new car that can be bought.

When I drive this car, I not only feel like I am saving money, but I feel like I am contributing to the environment. The digital climate control, halogen headlamps, mp3/usb/ipod interfacing stereo, are all features that are really impressive, especially for the price of the car.

The Insight accelerate well enough for all practical purposes, but don't expect to feel the G-Forces of F16 getting the slingshot off an aircraft carrier.

almost 1 yr old
By Billj9876

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have driven in all 4 seasons and commute 75% highway miles. I am seeing > 50 MPG in summer, dropping to 46-47 during freezing weather. Max 1 tank average was 56 MPG. I live in the North East and don't see extreme lows or highs. I do have moderate hills to negotiate on my commute. Hwy speeds are typically 65-70 MPH. I do pay attention to acceleration but will blend with traffic as far as speed. I don't run AC or Defrost much (only at cruse speeds). I am outperforming the econo mode. It was useful for learning to drive conservatively but I have not used it for 6 months.

MP3 input to the stereo, and the econo displays that helps me control my foot. The range display is also very helpful, I routinely run down to < 10 miles before filling up.

I would like to see a trip fuel consumption reading(in gallons).

Absolutely Impressed
By Happy Hybrid Owner

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Test drove Prius and Honda Insight. Honda Insight won hands down. Truly fun to drive, quiet interior, plenty of power and of course excellent mileage. Driving Prius felt like being in the virtual arcade car. Honda Insight EX is priced thousand of dollars less than Prius II and comes fully loaded. Only extra option is navigation and blue tooth. Easily obtained at the fraction of the cost on the outside Hybrids will not break any speed records but if you're looking for excellent high millage family car Honda Insight is it. Honda Job Well Done!

Millage, interior design, responsive handling, intuitive but simple displays. Cargo space. Very quiet, comfortable ride. Pricing.

Dealer should include carpet mats and cargo cover. Expensive dealer add on.

My Experience of the Insight
By pkw

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've read numerous ratings and comments about the Insight and I find that it's hard to believe they're talking about the same car I've owned for a year now. My Insight has never gotten lower than 42 MPG and then only in sub-zero weather. In normal weather I always get 45, 46 or 47 mpg and that's after I do the math, which is just below the instrumentation's estimates. I also have a Prius for nearly four years, and the Prius is slightly faster, but the instrumentation is not as concise, but the Prius is now older than the Insight. The Insight is solidly built, and get's mpg greater than ratings which have been publicized.

Favorite features is the mpg, the instrumentation, the ride and the quietness, all which has been downplayed by Car and Driver and others. Don't know where they're info is coming from, but is simply not true with my vehicle. Amazing what 46 mpg does for your disposable income!

Just slightly more spunk from a standing start. It's not slow, but it's not quite as perky as the Prius I have. However, it is not dramatic.

Better than EPA
By offy

2010 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I recently took advantage of the great lease deals at Honda with a 36 month Insight lease. I traded in my not-too- old Mazda 3 and am very happy I did. In my first week of ownership, with the assist of the Econ mode and the computer showing me how to drive efficiently, I am averaging about 47 mpg, about 80% highway driving. Now my mundane drive to work has become just a small contribution to the environment.

Econ Mode and Driving Computer.

Not much to improve. Would appreciate better console night lighting of radio and hvac controls.