2010 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:
Great mileage, comfortable family car
By Jonathan on 08/07/09 12:44 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I really like my Insight - I've been averaging about 47 MPG combined, which is better than I was expecting. Ride and handling are what I'd expect for this type and class of car. If you inflate the tires to 38 or 40 psi, ride, MPGs, and handling improve greatly. USB audio capability is great, plenty of room for luggage, groceries, stroller, etc. I've owned two Infiniti G35s over the years (one sedan and one coupe), and this car is far from them in performance and handling - but, for a hybrid, this car is great!

Better Gas Mileage Than Expected
By lovemynewinsight on 08/05/09 09:08 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

When I went to buy a new car, I was looking for fuel efficient and economical. I tried the Prius, but didn't love the way it handled and couldn't handle how expensive it was, even used, especially if you want some additional features. I was very pleased when I drove the new Honda Insight. The handling is great. It is comfortable. Extra features (I got the EX) don't add that much to the price. So far I look forward to driving my car every day. And I am getting over 50MPG (I drive entirely in city), versus the 41 average that is advertised. I no longer rush to get where I am going- instead I enjoy playing the game of how to get better MPGs.

Changing my driving style
By Bill on 08/04/09 13:16 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am 5000 miles into ownership. My MPG started at 43 and has improved with each fillup. My last tank was 51 MPG. I run tire pressure 2 pounds below the max pressure and trade a hard ride for MPG. The instruments are always in your face about your driving style and gives feeedback on your every move. I drive 65 miles a day in rolling hills and with mixed hwy/local roads. I run the AC only at cruising speed and let the cruse control take over when possible. I rate this car high for performance because I view fuel economy as its primary performance attribute. I never have a problem with entering and merging onto the highway, and typically run speed limit +5 to 10 w/AC on 90% of the time.

Fair comparison
By nathan on 08/01/09 22:58 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought my Insight today for my college daughters and we took it straight from dealer to Santa Barbara for a 120 miles spin. We all loved it. All professional reviews are too harsh on Insight comparing with Prius. Insight has 10 times better driving position; better road feel; all the gadgets youngsters want (13 buttons on steering wheel plus pair of shifter paddles). Coupled with good price, this is a better choice. About accusing Insight copying Prius style, I remember this. Before Prius, there was this big ugly Pontiac. Before that, there was little cute Honda CRX. This style is for small cars. Insight has low and narrow profile to make it much nicer looking. And lots of fun.

Economical: Yes!! Fast: No!!
By Rookie60 on 07/30/09 06:35 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car was made to sip gas. It does that. It was not made to be fast. It is not fast. It is terribly underpowered. I like the hatchback for carrying things. Steering is numb. Car is relatively quiet except on hard acceleration where the underpowered engine groans.

I love my Insight
By lovemyhybrid on 07/27/09 09:08 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great car. I get about 46-48mpg on average each tank of gas (I reset the calculation with each fill up) during my daily commute which includes some city stop and go traffic and some highway driving. Keep it on "Econ" feature most of the time. It picks up great when getting on the highway and passing. Smooth transition when stop and go (although it was jumpy when I first got it. Not sure if my driving changed, or if it had to go through a breaking in period). Only problem is that it sometimes rolls back if you stop on a steep hill, and you need to take the econ button off when going up a steep hill. Concerned about what this will mean in the winter. I love passing and parking next to Priuses.

What were they driving?
By Kevin on 07/26/09 05:34 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm talking about most of those car experts who rated this car poorly based on ride and power. I've used this car both around town (NYC) and on the highway. Considering its motor and transmission, it never left me waiting for the power to kick in. The assist needle will jump anytime you call for extra power. The ride is quiet and I'm able to hold conversations at 70mph without yelling, unlike my Mazda3. The suspension does a great job of absorbing bumps and potholes. It takes turns with minimal body lean. Don't attempt anything sporty in this car, though. Very little engine noise when you're up to speed, though you can hear it in the cabin during acceleration.

M3 to Insight Convert, Yes, True.
By Honda Insight Rocks on 07/25/09 18:11 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have LOVED and own BMW M3s, S4's, TT's, for the past ten years. You guys say: So...whah? You gonna try an Insight??? Yeah, I drove it and dug it. This car surprised and delighted me, quick, fun, great cargo.

Rather regretful
By kay on 07/23/09 11:37 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Really slow on the uphill. I gave up pep for top gas mileage. Although I have gone by the book to maximize my MPG I have been averaging 29 city and 32 highway. Needless to say I am very disappointed. The car has an odd feel on the highway - it's hard to describe, but there is a play in the steering that causes it to feel like it has a slight fishtail movement which makes me a little motion sick. I love the exterior design but feel the interior has design flaws. I agonized over whether to buy the Insight or Prius. I loved many features of the Prius but didn't feel they were worth the price diff. I am regretting my choice.

Great Economical Car
By utahdriver on 07/21/09 11:26 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I took a look at a 2007 Prius, but it didn't feel like a traditional car like this one. The styling, handling, and overall driving experience is great on the Insight. I did have to get used to the fraction of a second hesitation when you start from a full stop. And there is a very small shudder as the engine turns off when you stop. But these have only been minor annoyances that I don't even notice anymore. I am going to the gas station a lot less these days, and the price is well within the range of your average new compact car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Honda Insight in VA is:

$138 per month*