Used 2010 Honda Insight EX Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 122 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Great little car, not up to brutal winters
By Johannes Smith

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

So, I should start with the positive - bought a 2010 Insight EX in 2015. On the used market, they're going for sub 10K, and that means that entry level combustion engine cars are the same price as entry level hybrids. I had to give the hybrid a shot!

In all the classic measurements of a car, the Insight excels. Acceleration is solid, it gets on the highway comfortably and can speed up to avoid hazards. Food for thought here, this car does 0-60 in 11.9 seconds. That compares to the gasoline Lancer of the same year at 11.4 seconds. The difference in fuel economy is a staggering 26MPG vs 43MPG. I'll leave you to do the cost/benefit analysis there.

The interior is very comfortable, I love the seats. Safety features are cool (I'm upgrading from a cromagnon car with 1 airbag, so I'm excited to see 5 obvious airbags). The headlights on the EX are dazzlingly bright.

For issues, there are 2 minor design flaws. Cabin view is not great - rearward visibility could be better with better pylon placement. The hatchback could also be roomier, it gets pretty tight back there. These are minor flaws - the view is most of the way there, and the hatchback is a great feature decently executed.

The most perplexing issue with this overall great car is the winter performance. I am a Chicagoan. Sometimes, Chicago winter is colder than the dark side of the moon (seriously). This winter has been average. The Insight's electric engine does not engage below a given temperature, usually below 20-30. The gasoline engine provides decent to good driving performance, but a much lower fuel efficiency. I'm averaging 31MPG in January.

Also, the A/C unit is relatively weak, so it takes a significant amount of time to get the car hot. Maybe it's attempting to route heat to the hybrid drive's battery, I'm not sure - in either case, winter performance is out of line with general performance.

133,081 miles, $3,000 warranty refunded, no probs
By Doc

This was the most undervalued vehicle from 2010. Bought new. Get 41mpg still with Eco on. Driven all over US. Highway excellent. Safe. Still have original rotors. No problems except when 1st bought recall on a rubber trim. Just bought a Pioneer radio with Carplay. Amazing vehicle. I expect will see 200,000 miles plus. Got $3,000 back from extended warrantee because I never used it. Mine made in Japan before tsunami. Best investment. Replaced a crappy BMW convertible that nickled and dimed me.

Just passed 90k miles
By supermiles

Bought new in 2010, after losing my Camry to a head on collision. Have about 91k miles on it now. I love the car for what it is. Never any mechanical problems, I put tons of stuff in the hatch. Would buy another...if they still made them when I finish with this one. Never less than 40 mpg, never better than 45...but I run it pretty hard

the hatch/storage area

sunroof

This car is the best at its price!
By jpaule

Yes, the Prius is roomier and even more fuel efficient, but, after five and one half years and 71,000 miles, our Insight is a great value for the price, which was about $ 4000 less than a comparable 2010 Prius. We have replaced only tires at 30K and are still running safely with the original brakes at all four wheels. We have had no warranty, recall or parts replacement issues and fully expect to get another 70000 miles with only normal maintenance. Honda builds quality and it shows!

Great fuel economy. We get 46 mpg at 70 mph and 40 mpg in our town that has a stoplight on every corner! Extremely agile and fun to drive. We frequently drive 1400 miles round trip to see our kids and we are not tired when we arrive.

Rear seat room is very limited except for thin people. Air conditioner shuts down when waiting at stoplights, but this also saves fuel.

Great Car for the money.
By jpaule

We bought the Insight new in May, 2009 as a 2010 model and have driven it 69,000 miles as of September 10, 2014. We have had absolutely no warranty issues and gave replaced only tires and wiper blades! It has a small rear seat for adults, but is comfortable enough for us senior citizens on a 675 mile one-way trip frequently to see our grandkids. Gas mileage is great- 40mpg in our town with a stoplight on every corner and 46 mpg average on the highway at 65-70 mph. This is an extremely reliable car as we expected with a Honda and plan to keep it well past 100,000 miles.