2010 Honda Insight Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:
2010 EX just turned 4 - still AOK I guess
By dixinormus on 05/01/14 18:23 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Happy with it overall. I've always liked it more than the cheap plastic hubcAPS2011 restyled Prius. However, I do not like that with EX model, all you are getting is alloy wheels instead of cheap plastic hubcaps. No sunroof and no leather interior.....for an EX model, please? Dealer said it was vital to keep costs down in order to attract more Prius lookers - ok fine but I say don't use "EX" then....i.e. don't say it's an EX with cloth seats, no moonroof, fog lights or navigation, dear.

Build quality: Is this really a Honda?
By pokechimp88 on 12/19/11 07:43 AM (PST)

This a 3rd update on our 2010 Honda Insight that we have had now for about a year in a half. It now is December 2011 and the car has 41K on it. At the 40K service, the guys found a worn out axle (left) and the drive shaft assembly was beginning to come apart (!!!!). Luckily, extended warranty covered it and in the process, they reprogrammed the IMA system and auto-stop feature and now the auto-stop engages even in sub 20 degree weather and in stop and go 5 mph traffic, something it didn't do before. The interior has held up fairly well and the stock tires are a joke; they wore out at 26K miles. But its fun to drive.... I just wish we it was better built

Love my Insight but not unconditionally!
By tutusue on 09/18/11 19:58 PM (PDT)

14 months/4000 miles! After a lifetime of German cars and much research I decided on the Insight, my first hybrid, and I don't regret that decision for a minute. My driving is probably 90% city and, of that, 95% is flat terrain. The only regular incline is the first 50' of my condo's parking garage entrance. My mpg pales in comparison to others and averages a little under 35. However, my previous car averaged about 15 so I feel I'm still way ahead of the game! Yes, the "get up 'n go" got up and went but that's part of the hybrid/higher mpg experience. I'm not picky about handling as long as the car feels safe and, for me, the Insight does. I'll re-up at the end of my lease!

After 9 months and 12,000 miles
By egadbois on 08/07/11 20:42 PM (PDT)

The first 6 months I drove with the Econ engaged and never got more than about 52 mpg and no less than 48 mpg. I decided to turn off the Econ mode and drive normally. I have always been a very heavy user of cruise control. That and the fact that this is a small town with few lights, I am now getting 54 mpg without trying very hard. The Dunlap tires ride a bit harsh and the road noise is more than normal for a Honda. After two long trips I have found the seats to be very comfortable. I have no complaints with the sound system and use the USB port to plug in a flash memory stick with all my favorite music.

I really love my Insight!!
By svrider1 on 04/24/11 17:40 PM (PDT)

It gets great gas mileage. I average about 45 mpg (mostly city driving) but if you are willing to drive a little slower it could be better. I also live in Florida and constantly use a/c which effects your fuel economy. Interior ergonomics are nice and futuristic looking, with seemingly very good build quality. Seats are really comfy with super-soft fabric!

after 25k miles: the facts plus a few comments
By rickinseagrove on 01/12/11 10:43 AM (PST)

The car is very econmical to operate and gets way better mileage than EPA estimate. Lifetime average fuel economy to date is 51 MPG (measured). Best tank average to date is 60 MPG (measured). The car computer over estimates mileage by 2 or 3 MPG. It gets significantly better mileage in the summer than in the winter. The 60 MPG tank average was during Aug. in Florida with slightly overinflated (40 PSI) tires on my daily 25 mile commute. I've change the oil 3 times in 25k miles. No other maintenance cost or issues to date. Honda replaced the IMA battery for free after a warning light came on when it was 2 months old. Really like the styling but they should use better interior materials. iLuvIt

Insightful!!!
By insightfulbob on 01/11/11 18:21 PM (PST)

Just picked up car two days ago, love it already. Will have to get back to you all in a month or so to let you know about mileage. I was going to purchase , but for those who are interested, there is a great lease deal going on right now. Zero down,$210 per month, 36 months, plus a buy option. Jump on it!!! Paid a little more (223) per month for EX, but NO SALES TAX.

Insight is out of sight
By peta on 12/29/10 19:57 PM (PST)

I just got my insight and it seems to be a very good car to have. I love the econ assist light display. The car gives me all the power I need get there in. Tonight when I say my prayers I will thank God for letting me have this car.

Not a cold weather vehicle
By Anonymous on 12/07/10 00:00 AM (PST)

I really like my new Honda Insight. It is really fun to drive & I love the way I feel in the driver's seat. The only issue I have with this vehicle is that I can't get anywhere close to the advertised gas mileage when it is cold outside. The cold engine light comes on & I get about 20 mpg. Can't wait until SPRING!

We got a lemon and Honda won't help
By Hammond on 11/23/10 00:00 AM (PST)

Well, it's been about 8 months since we purchased the car and sadly, this Honda let us down majorly. At 12K, the check engine light blared and the screen gave us a warning sign that something was wrong with the hybrid system. Took it in and it turned out that the cooling system was shot. After 4 weeks in the shop, we took it and found they didn't fix it right since the car was vibrating when the battery kicked in. Not only that but our average mileage has dropped from 45 MPG to about 37 MPG. So I think we got a lemon but Honda isn't treating us right. We paid a premium for the Hybrid and we expect it. Should have coughed the extra $1500 for the Prius.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Honda Insight Hatchback in VA is:

$111 per month*