2010 Honda Insight LX Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

2010 Insight Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Sort Reviews by

I love my 2010 Honda Insight
By msajm41

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had my 2010 Honda Insight for 5 years. The gas mileage was around 40 mpg, and about 45 mpg on long trips. I used synthetic oil in it since I bought it. I never had any major repairs on it. It was a great car. It wasn't the most comfortable on long trips. I never sat in the back seat so I'm not sure if they were comfortable. My older friends had trouble getting in and out of the back seat. But it was a nice car for the price, reliable, nice looking, and had great gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, dependability.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control should be on all models.

Very happy with our Insight
By slow_jim

We are up to about 20k miles in our Insight now and still getting 45-50mpg with no issues. My wife uses it as her daily driver and loves it. We will never sell this car - so much space, practicality, and fuel economy for the price.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, interior materials quality and space, reliability. Room in the back for a rear facing carseat, but as with most compact cars it sacrifices legroom for the front passenger.

Suggested Improvements

I don't really like driving it due to the lack of cruise control but that's what we get for buying the LX. Handling can be scary above 75mph, especially if it's windy. I like to drive fast and it'll still do 45mpg at 80mph.

Great little car for the price
By ledeof01

This is a great little car for the price. Don't take any notice of cost comparisons as the often compare it to a Honda Fit. This car is much bigger than the Fit. It's closer to the Civic. I love the instrument display which can be customized. Fuel economy is great. I do mostly stop/start town driving and still get around 40 mpg average. On long trips, I have easily managed over 50 mpg highway averaging 65 mph. Visibility is poor but that's typical of most small cars these days as they increase pillar sizes for better crash safety.

Favorite Features

Instrument panel Climate Control Fuel Economy Customizable setting such as door locks, remote, etc. Large trunk for a small car with easy access (large hatchback door).

Suggested Improvements

The speedo is on top of the dash. You can't see it with the steering wheel adjusted to the highest setting. No hook anchors for drivers floor mat. 1.3 liter engine is slightly underpowered. Needs a 1.5 liter engine. No security cover to hide items in the trunk. The body panels (aluminum, I think) seem very thin and prone to dings. You can't go in a car wash because the rubber roof rack rails come off (and scratch the paint as they do so). Scheduled maintenance is very expensive. I paid $83.85 for the first "A1" serivice @ 6284 miles and $136.81 for the next "B1" service @ 9654 miles. In comparison, I've never paid more than $100 for any service for my Toyota Matrix S with 25k miles

Great car for the money
By Gill

I have had this car for just over 3 months now. This is the first Honda I have bought,I usually own toyota's. I bought this car because I have a new job that I commute 60 miles a day on the highway. Honda had a $5000 rebate on the car, and my Province was giving $2000 environmental rebate. I compared the price of the Yaris and Corolla to the insight, and once I added options like A/C,P/W, cruise, AT, etc. with the rebates the insight was cheaper. The car is great to drive, the dash and gadgets are great. I drove my wife's 2005 loaded rav4 for a week, and I missed my insight big time. This car is made so the working person can afford a hybrid, and provides great fuel economy, & it delivers.

Favorite Features

I like the over all design inside and out. The dash is cool, I like the idea you can gauge your skills in saving fuel. The operating layout is great to adjust cruise, brightness control, ECO mode, etc. cup holders work well. Seat and Steering wheel adjustments work well (I'm short).

Suggested Improvements

Map light above rear view mirror would be nice, instead of reaching in the middle of the car to turn on the light. I almost lost my outside roof molding, it was easy to reinstall. Curious I have 9000 KM (5000 miles) and I my oil check is still at 60%, Usually I change oil at 5000 KM, is this right?

Real world mpg is 50+
By Donna

I have had this car for a year now and I love it. My mpg has averaged 51 over 20K miles. The dash def teaches you how to drive efficiently and it is fun to try to continually improve your driving habits and mpg. I am baffled by the "official" mpg rating of 41-43, I do try to drive well but I don't do anything crazy to get my results. I have no complaints at all, I love driving this car.

Favorite Features

fuel efficiency, dashboard display, exterior styling

Suggested Improvements

gas cap lock, better rear-view visibility

Great car for the price!
By ThreeHondaFamily

An excellent economy car overall. Many of the observations made by others are true: The motor is buzzy at high RPM. ECON mode turns it into a total slug. Forget using this mode if you live in a hilly area. I do, and I leave it turned off and shift into Sport mode almost exclusively. Even so, I'm still averaging 39 MPG. A worthy sacrifice for improved pep. Handling is good for a car with tires that skinny. The styling is pleasing and it draws positive attention from onlookers. There's a lot of hard plastic in the interior. Some slightly softer surfaces might have been nice. Predictable Honda road noise, but hey, it's a $19k car, not a Lexus. Overall, I'm very pleased.

Favorite Features

Fuel Economy, Styling. Acceptable acceleration for a hybrid (as long as ECON mode is off.)

Suggested Improvements

Radio sounds a bit tinny. Roof line impossibly low in the backseat for anyone over 5' 11". Cup holders in the front, just under the dash are spill inducers. Less hard plastic please. The less expensive Honda Fit has a more pleasing interior.

Driving 100 Miles a Day
By Rick from Woodstock

I've had my Insight for less than a month, but I drive 100 miles every weekday and I've already driven on highways, in mountains, and in NY City. I feel I can now rave about how much I love this car (and not just because my monthly gasoline bill will be half of my gas bill for the 2000 VW Golf I traded in). Others in these reviews have complained about the auto stop feature, but I'm a fan. I like the idea that my engine isn't idling for no reason when I'm sitting at a long red light. The first time it happens you might thing you have stalled, but by the second time it happens, it just seems cool.

Favorite Features

I'm averaging 49.5 MPG over the first 2,000 miles, but I'm having fun driving this car too. I love the looks (mine is Tango Red Pearl) and the low seating position. The gauges are fun as well as informative and the interior is clean with no frills, just the way I like it.

Suggested Improvements

This is the first car I've had since 1980 without a sunroof or moonroof. I'd love the option of having a hole above my head (even though it does hurt the MPG). Otherwise, it's got everything I need.

By Bankie

The A/C only turns off at stop when in ECON mode. When ECON mode is off, the A/C functions at a stop. A/C is cold. Love the dash/gauges, hate the cheap plastics used on the interior. Scratch easily, very cheap. Feels like an economy car but at 20+k for the base model that's kind of lame. Almost no sound proofing, $400 optional usb connector (seriously?) They should've thrown it in. Cross country drives are a drag as the engine is low torque so you spend the gas you'd save putting your foot through the floor to climb hills.

Favorite Features

Aesthetics, city driving experience, fuel economy(!), personality.

Suggested Improvements

Tighter build quality, better interior materials and for freak's sake apply sound proofing. That's common sense. The auto volume feature is cute but shouldn't be necessary. USB connectors are not worth 400. Stop being so stingy.

Great For People Doing Lot of Commuting
By Officer Moore

This car delivers with its great gas mileage and smart designs. I am getting an average of 38 to 40 mpg/city, and 46 to 48/hwy with combined (my actual daily travel) of 44.8 to 45.7 mpg. Love the ease of use and location of controls. Tons of storage space and love the use of every nook and cranny. Only downside is location 12 v plug and could use move in cockpit area and in hatchback area. Have not found good way to mount my 80 gb creative lab mp3 player. Cup holders locations are one of the worst features. Less road noise would be a plus. Loved this Honda so much, bought a 2007 Ridgeline with 40k miles (certified pre-owned) the next day!

Favorite Features

Love, love, love the mpg, and the bad boy looking front end. A hybrid car with tude! Love the color as well (tango red).

Suggested Improvements

Better sound system even on base unit, and a sun/moon roof!

Disappointed
By Disappointed

I really, really loved this car until this morning. I was waxing my car and trying to polish out what I thought was water spots. On closer inspection it was obvious that the paint was chipping in radial patterns all over the hood of my car. Worst paint job ever. Don't buy this car if you have expectations of a paint lasting over three months.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint!