Used 2010 Honda Insight LX Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

I love my 2010 Honda Insight
By msajm41

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had my 2010 Honda Insight for 5 years. The gas mileage was around 40 mpg, and about 45 mpg on long trips. I used synthetic oil in it since I bought it. I never had any major repairs on it. It was a great car. It wasn't the most comfortable on long trips. I never sat in the back seat so I'm not sure if they were comfortable. My older friends had trouble getting in and out of the back seat. But it was a nice car for the price, reliable, nice looking, and had great gas mileage.

Gas mileage, dependability.

Cruise control should be on all models.

Very happy with our Insight
By slow_jim

We are up to about 20k miles in our Insight now and still getting 45-50mpg with no issues. My wife uses it as her daily driver and loves it. We will never sell this car - so much space, practicality, and fuel economy for the price.

Gas mileage, interior materials quality and space, reliability. Room in the back for a rear facing carseat, but as with most compact cars it sacrifices legroom for the front passenger.

I don't really like driving it due to the lack of cruise control but that's what we get for buying the LX. Handling can be scary above 75mph, especially if it's windy. I like to drive fast and it'll still do 45mpg at 80mph.

Great little car for the price
By ledeof01

This is a great little car for the price. Don't take any notice of cost comparisons as the often compare it to a Honda Fit. This car is much bigger than the Fit. It's closer to the Civic. I love the instrument display which can be customized. Fuel economy is great. I do mostly stop/start town driving and still get around 40 mpg average. On long trips, I have easily managed over 50 mpg highway averaging 65 mph. Visibility is poor but that's typical of most small cars these days as they increase pillar sizes for better crash safety.

Instrument panel Climate Control Fuel Economy Customizable setting such as door locks, remote, etc. Large trunk for a small car with easy access (large hatchback door).

The speedo is on top of the dash. You can't see it with the steering wheel adjusted to the highest setting. No hook anchors for drivers floor mat. 1.3 liter engine is slightly underpowered. Needs a 1.5 liter engine. No security cover to hide items in the trunk. The body panels (aluminum, I think) seem very thin and prone to dings. You can't go in a car wash because the rubber roof rack rails come off (and scratch the paint as they do so). Scheduled maintenance is very expensive. I paid $83.85 for the first "A1" serivice @ 6284 miles and $136.81 for the next "B1" service @ 9654 miles. In comparison, I've never paid more than $100 for any service for my Toyota Matrix S with 25k miles

Great car for the money
By Gill

I have had this car for just over 3 months now. This is the first Honda I have bought,I usually own toyota's. I bought this car because I have a new job that I commute 60 miles a day on the highway. Honda had a $5000 rebate on the car, and my Province was giving $2000 environmental rebate. I compared the price of the Yaris and Corolla to the insight, and once I added options like A/C,P/W, cruise, AT, etc. with the rebates the insight was cheaper. The car is great to drive, the dash and gadgets are great. I drove my wife's 2005 loaded rav4 for a week, and I missed my insight big time. This car is made so the working person can afford a hybrid, and provides great fuel economy, & it delivers.

I like the over all design inside and out. The dash is cool, I like the idea you can gauge your skills in saving fuel. The operating layout is great to adjust cruise, brightness control, ECO mode, etc. cup holders work well. Seat and Steering wheel adjustments work well (I'm short).

Map light above rear view mirror would be nice, instead of reaching in the middle of the car to turn on the light. I almost lost my outside roof molding, it was easy to reinstall. Curious I have 9000 KM (5000 miles) and I my oil check is still at 60%, Usually I change oil at 5000 KM, is this right?

Real world mpg is 50+
By Donna

I have had this car for a year now and I love it. My mpg has averaged 51 over 20K miles. The dash def teaches you how to drive efficiently and it is fun to try to continually improve your driving habits and mpg. I am baffled by the "official" mpg rating of 41-43, I do try to drive well but I don't do anything crazy to get my results. I have no complaints at all, I love driving this car.

fuel efficiency, dashboard display, exterior styling

gas cap lock, better rear-view visibility