2010 Honda Insight Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:
Good commuter, not comfortable
By krazyrabbit1 on 08/27/14 18:29 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought a used 2010 Honda Insight EX last year when I changed jobs that led to a longer drive. Most of my 70 miles per day is highway and the Insight averages 46 mpg. City stop and go driving actually brings up the mpg. I'm an average sized woman, 5'5" tall, not fond of the ergonomics of the Insight. Sit too low even with the seat height up all the way and it's uncomfortable, the armrest is too far away. My friend is 5'10" and the passenger seat doesn't go back far enough for her legs. The car handles well if there is no wind or snow, horrible if it's windy. Blows all over the road. Has decent pick up though. I don't take it on long trips. Would recommend for commuter car only.

I love my 2010 Honda Insight
By msajm41 on 05/17/14 07:47 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had my 2010 Honda Insight for 5 years. The gas mileage was around 40 mpg, and about 45 mpg on long trips. I used synthetic oil in it since I bought it. I never had any major repairs on it. It was a great car. It wasn't the most comfortable on long trips. I never sat in the back seat so I'm not sure if they were comfortable. My older friends had trouble getting in and out of the back seat. But it was a nice car for the price, reliable, nice looking, and had great gas mileage.

2010 EX just turned 4 - still AOK I guess
By dixinormus on 05/01/14 18:23 PM (PDT)

Happy with it overall. I've always liked it more than the cheap plastic hubcAPS2011 restyled Prius. However, I do not like that with EX model, all you are getting is alloy wheels instead of cheap plastic hubcaps. No sunroof and no leather interior.....for an EX model, please? Dealer said it was vital to keep costs down in order to attract more Prius lookers - ok fine but I say don't use "EX" then....i.e. don't say it's an EX with cloth seats, no moonroof, fog lights or navigation, dear.

Very happy with our Insight
By slow_jim on 08/28/12 07:40 AM (PDT)

We are up to about 20k miles in our Insight now and still getting 45-50mpg with no issues. My wife uses it as her daily driver and loves it. We will never sell this car - so much space, practicality, and fuel economy for the price.

Like it better than Prius 95% of the time
By hybridrocks54 on 06/16/12 18:53 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We've had it since it was new and now just over 30K miles. Fun car to drive. Use it as urban around town commuter car with occasional highway trips and get consistently 39-40 mpg. We are all very tall and fit fine in front seat; adults are somewhat tight in back. No mechanical issues whatsoever, so really appreciate Honda reliability.

Build quality: Is this really a Honda?
By pokechimp88 on 12/19/11 07:43 AM (PST)

This a 3rd update on our 2010 Honda Insight that we have had now for about a year in a half. It now is December 2011 and the car has 41K on it. At the 40K service, the guys found a worn out axle (left) and the drive shaft assembly was beginning to come apart (!!!!). Luckily, extended warranty covered it and in the process, they reprogrammed the IMA system and auto-stop feature and now the auto-stop engages even in sub 20 degree weather and in stop and go 5 mph traffic, something it didn't do before. The interior has held up fairly well and the stock tires are a joke; they wore out at 26K miles. But its fun to drive.... I just wish we it was better built

Love my Insight but not unconditionally!
By tutusue on 09/18/11 19:58 PM (PDT)

14 months/4000 miles! After a lifetime of German cars and much research I decided on the Insight, my first hybrid, and I don't regret that decision for a minute. My driving is probably 90% city and, of that, 95% is flat terrain. The only regular incline is the first 50' of my condo's parking garage entrance. My mpg pales in comparison to others and averages a little under 35. However, my previous car averaged about 15 so I feel I'm still way ahead of the game! Yes, the "get up 'n go" got up and went but that's part of the hybrid/higher mpg experience. I'm not picky about handling as long as the car feels safe and, for me, the Insight does. I'll re-up at the end of my lease!

After 9 months and 12,000 miles
By egadbois on 08/07/11 20:42 PM (PDT)

The first 6 months I drove with the Econ engaged and never got more than about 52 mpg and no less than 48 mpg. I decided to turn off the Econ mode and drive normally. I have always been a very heavy user of cruise control. That and the fact that this is a small town with few lights, I am now getting 54 mpg without trying very hard. The Dunlap tires ride a bit harsh and the road noise is more than normal for a Honda. After two long trips I have found the seats to be very comfortable. I have no complaints with the sound system and use the USB port to plug in a flash memory stick with all my favorite music.

Nice car
By jett456 on 06/10/11 04:37 AM (PDT)

I am liking this car more as the gas prices go up. I get decent mileage. Around 45-50 on the highway, 36-40 city. Cruise control seems to use up more gas in my opinion. I've had no problems with the battery as some reviews have mentioned. My navigation disc is outdated. For some reason I have a 2007 version in my car. Honda offered to split the cost with me. It should be free for all the money the navigation system cost!! The front passenger seat is uncomfortable for a large person. This is a leased car but I think I will go with a larger car when the lease is up.

I really love my Insight!!
By svrider1 on 04/24/11 17:40 PM (PDT)

It gets great gas mileage. I average about 45 mpg (mostly city driving) but if you are willing to drive a little slower it could be better. I also live in Florida and constantly use a/c which effects your fuel economy. Interior ergonomics are nice and futuristic looking, with seemingly very good build quality. Seats are really comfy with super-soft fabric!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Honda Insight Hatchback in VA is:

$138 per month*