Used 2010 Honda Insight EX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

2010 Honda Insight

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Great car, great mileage, but...
By manihondas

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this fully equipped 2010 model as a Honda Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle with 42K. I needed to add to my honda family, the Element getting higher in the mileage dept, 188K and I needed a fuel efficient car for commuting to my place of work.

Favorite Features

So far the car has been wonderful, average 42 mpg on a 78 mile rt, all fwy commute. It's comfortable on the highway even long distance and goes up and down steep grades without really skipping a beat. I am very pleased with the power under the hood given the miniature motor(s).

Suggested Improvements

Several months ago my security light on the driver side housing stopped lighting up when i would remotely lock the car. Several weeks ago I noticed that my rear tail light, same driver's side, was flickering. Took it in to the dealer yesterday for the 60K service and was informed that the part alone is $507. This does not include installation. Hmmm. The dealer is going to check with the Honda representative to see if they will do something for me. Hmmm. I do have a serious problem paying what will probably be close to $700 to replace LED lights that only last 4 years in sunny southern California with the most mild weather in the US. Hope Honda has the insight to replace this safety feature.

Like it better than Prius 95% of the time
By hybridrocks54

We've had it since it was new and now just over 30K miles. Fun car to drive. Use it as urban around town commuter car with occasional highway trips and get consistently 39-40 mpg. We are all very tall and fit fine in front seat; adults are somewhat tight in back. No mechanical issues whatsoever, so really appreciate Honda reliability.

Favorite Features

Paddle shifters, auto-locking doors, ease of use of stereo/electronics--very intuitive, ease of reading the gauges and the range of information that is given by the gauges.

Suggested Improvements

Lousy cupholders. Cheap plastic scratched near the keyhole. Needs to have keyless entry and stop/start. Stronger front headlight beams. Nav needs an update; Garman is a better buy and cheaper and more intuitive.

Nice car
By jett456

I am liking this car more as the gas prices go up. I get decent mileage. Around 45-50 on the highway, 36-40 city. Cruise control seems to use up more gas in my opinion. I've had no problems with the battery as some reviews have mentioned. My navigation disc is outdated. For some reason I have a 2007 version in my car. Honda offered to split the cost with me. It should be free for all the money the navigation system cost!! The front passenger seat is uncomfortable for a large person. This is a leased car but I think I will go with a larger car when the lease is up.

Favorite Features

The computer, gps, and ipod radio with the controls on steering wheel. The good gas mileage which is why I got the car.

Suggested Improvements

More headroom and a roomier trunk. Better gas mileage.

Car dead for the third time
By yuk

Today on Saturday morning for the third time after I bought iit n September 2010 the car not responding to anything probably again because of dead battery. When the car is running it is OK, giving me around 42 MPG after 11K miles on rush hour highway/city. However, this dead car problems are the HUGE one. Usually, it happening if you are not using the car for couple days suggesting some battery drain. First time, the battery was replaced by local Honda service dealer. Second time, despite testing they didn't find any problems. Now, after couple weeks the car again dead leaving me w/o car for the whole weekend. If anybody have suggestions that I can pass to dealers would be appreciated.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof/moonroof should be available, as well rear camera. Navigation system should be more modern, not the archaic DVD/CD-based, and include traffic info and XM/Sirius option. Hands-free link (HFL) Bluetooth is keep dissappearing after every couple weeks. Considering new state laws about cell phone usage it becoming very annoying.

Pleasant Surprise, Insight on the Rise
By luna9

I came about the 2010 Insight EX-Navi while searching for a new Honda Accord. Being in the market for a quality sedan with decent mpg and storage, I was surprised to learn that the Insight was priced so reasonably ... and had excellent storage capacity. To be honest I completely forgot about the re-release of this Honda hybrid (Prius has earned the preeminent hybrid spotlight). However, the Honda Insight deserves more than a second glance with it's svelte interior, responsive driving experience, and higher-than-stated EPA actual gas mileage. Price all of these features a minimum of $2,200 kess AND put in a Honda package you can trust and you've got a steal for a hybrid hatchback under $20k.

Favorite Features

The mech/elec feedback via the Multi-Informational-Display (MID) and the instrument cluster is very helpful and makes for a fun driving experience. The center-set MID and cluster gives you real-time data about your driving habits that doesn't feel different from driving a regular car. This goes for performance too. I can zip in and out of traffic or sit back and save gas, the hybrid motor and CVT meshes well with real life. My actual gas mileage is above the EPA rated 40/43 which makes my financing feel even more miniscule with my gas savings. Bluetooth and voice commands work well, and when coupled with Navi I feel that I got a bargain in my automotive badge of choice. Highly recommended!

Suggested Improvements

Back-up camera, at least as an option, would be nice. I purchased a reasonable aftermarket model easily. Would love to see a plug-in version to enable maximization of battery charging and further improve performance. Only major improvement I would see is marketing the vehicle better. The 2010 Insight performs so well at this price point and demands some serious consideration if you're financially forecasting for the days of $5/gal fuel.