2010 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:
Like it better than Prius 95% of the time
By hybridrocks54 on 06/16/12 18:53 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We've had it since it was new and now just over 30K miles. Fun car to drive. Use it as urban around town commuter car with occasional highway trips and get consistently 39-40 mpg. We are all very tall and fit fine in front seat; adults are somewhat tight in back. No mechanical issues whatsoever, so really appreciate Honda reliability.

Nice car
By jett456 on 06/10/11 04:37 AM (PDT)

I am liking this car more as the gas prices go up. I get decent mileage. Around 45-50 on the highway, 36-40 city. Cruise control seems to use up more gas in my opinion. I've had no problems with the battery as some reviews have mentioned. My navigation disc is outdated. For some reason I have a 2007 version in my car. Honda offered to split the cost with me. It should be free for all the money the navigation system cost!! The front passenger seat is uncomfortable for a large person. This is a leased car but I think I will go with a larger car when the lease is up.

Car dead for the third time
By yuk on 02/12/11 12:42 PM (PST)

Today on Saturday morning for the third time after I bought iit n September 2010 the car not responding to anything probably again because of dead battery. When the car is running it is OK, giving me around 42 MPG after 11K miles on rush hour highway/city. However, this dead car problems are the HUGE one. Usually, it happening if you are not using the car for couple days suggesting some battery drain. First time, the battery was replaced by local Honda service dealer. Second time, despite testing they didn't find any problems. Now, after couple weeks the car again dead leaving me w/o car for the whole weekend. If anybody have suggestions that I can pass to dealers would be appreciated.

Pleasant Surprise, Insight on the Rise
By luna9 on 01/05/11 05:54 AM (PST)

I came about the 2010 Insight EX-Navi while searching for a new Honda Accord. Being in the market for a quality sedan with decent mpg and storage, I was surprised to learn that the Insight was priced so reasonably ... and had excellent storage capacity. To be honest I completely forgot about the re-release of this Honda hybrid (Prius has earned the preeminent hybrid spotlight). However, the Honda Insight deserves more than a second glance with it's svelte interior, responsive driving experience, and higher-than-stated EPA actual gas mileage. Price all of these features a minimum of $2,200 kess AND put in a Honda package you can trust and you've got a steal for a hybrid hatchback under $20k.

Very disappointed in Honda
By Mike on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

I originally liked the idea of a cooler looking sportier Prius not made by Toyota, but buying the Insight was a very bad decision. Sure, it was fairly easy to exceed the fuel economy ratings, but in return you get a very insubstantial car and in many ways a poorly designed car. Many things on this car had me wondering if anybody at Honda even tested it for more than an afternoon. It got to the point to where the battery would recalibrate and die unpredictably, leaving you wondering if you had enough power to pull out into traffic. I found the drivetrain very jerky and unrefined, especially when starting and stopping, and it often felt as though the wheels were driven by a rubber band.

Lots of problems
By 2010 insight driver on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

Battery/IMA does not work as it should. Been to 5 dealerships more then 10 times just getting the run around. Honda knows they have a major issue but will or can not offer any fix. MPG is: in city about 35 and on the highway 42. You don't need to spend 8K more to get this kind of mpg it is similar to regular Civic with a msrp of 15k. The paint job is poor. Car always feels like is having a hard time to change gear and to accelerate when going up the roads. The miles I put on this car the more issues are pumping up!

The Car that refunds money at the pomp
By walt on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

I have 40,000 miles on the car now and drive 2000 to 7000 miles on trips. I would like a seat that is not so uncomfortable. But the 42 lo in town and 54 (as Hi as 57 hi) on the road is better than expected. On road trips it is always over 52 mpg. So, is it worth it? YES but comfort could improve. Also, a turbo or some additional power is needed.

The Car That ONLY Last 6 Months!
By Liz on 09/04/10 08:24 AM (PDT)

I have had my Insight for almost a year. I love the lights in the inside and the cool gadgets within the car. There is just one major problem! The car completely falls apart. I can take apart ever piece of my car without any muscle used. Between the water protective rubber around the windows and car.. to the visors and handle bars within the cars. The paint job is poor and the car always feels like is having a hard time slowing down. Not the smoothest ride. The back ceiling is very low. Too low in fact.

Best Car I Ever Bought!
By Rocky on 08/12/10 19:24 PM (PDT)

I've owned this car for over a year, now. Get's better MPG than I expected. Have never gotten below 40MPG. Car looks good when I first bought it, other cars would irritate me by getting in front of me and slowing down, then switching lanes until I realized they were checking out my car. I have no complaints thus far. I only wonder how long the battery will last. I really love this car!

Lacking in many ways
By MrGooch on 08/04/10 11:24 AM (PDT)

Have had the car for over a month. Mileage has been running about 42-44 commuting to work. The navigation system is not worth it, bugs and out of date database. Entered B of A, selected one a 1000 miles a way. The hybrid battery needs to be about twice the capacity, runs out of steam too soon, any grade of more then 1/4 mile, then the engine revs up, which is noisy. Road noise is not as bad as some have commented on. No XM, should be standard with Nav, can be bought as an accessory but expensive. Worst sounding stereo I have had on new car in many years. Interior materials are flimsy and cheap, push my hand against the door and the material caved in and then popped back out.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Honda Insight in VA is:

$111 per month*