2010 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:
Very happy with our Insight
By slow_jim on 08/28/12 07:40 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We are up to about 20k miles in our Insight now and still getting 45-50mpg with no issues. My wife uses it as her daily driver and loves it. We will never sell this car - so much space, practicality, and fuel economy for the price.

Great little car for the price
By ledeof01 on 03/12/11 09:33 AM (PST)

2010 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a great little car for the price. Don't take any notice of cost comparisons as the often compare it to a Honda Fit. This car is much bigger than the Fit. It's closer to the Civic. I love the instrument display which can be customized. Fuel economy is great. I do mostly stop/start town driving and still get around 40 mpg average. On long trips, I have easily managed over 50 mpg highway averaging 65 mph. Visibility is poor but that's typical of most small cars these days as they increase pillar sizes for better crash safety.

Great car for the money
By Gill on 10/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this car for just over 3 months now. This is the first Honda I have bought,I usually own toyota's. I bought this car because I have a new job that I commute 60 miles a day on the highway. Honda had a $5000 rebate on the car, and my Province was giving $2000 environmental rebate. I compared the price of the Yaris and Corolla to the insight, and once I added options like A/C,P/W, cruise, AT, etc. with the rebates the insight was cheaper. The car is great to drive, the dash and gadgets are great. I drove my wife's 2005 loaded rav4 for a week, and I missed my insight big time. This car is made so the working person can afford a hybrid, and provides great fuel economy, & it delivers.

Real world mpg is 50+
By Donna on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this car for a year now and I love it. My mpg has averaged 51 over 20K miles. The dash def teaches you how to drive efficiently and it is fun to try to continually improve your driving habits and mpg. I am baffled by the "official" mpg rating of 41-43, I do try to drive well but I don't do anything crazy to get my results. I have no complaints at all, I love driving this car.

Great car for the price!
By ThreeHondaFamily on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

An excellent economy car overall. Many of the observations made by others are true: The motor is buzzy at high RPM. ECON mode turns it into a total slug. Forget using this mode if you live in a hilly area. I do, and I leave it turned off and shift into Sport mode almost exclusively. Even so, I'm still averaging 39 MPG. A worthy sacrifice for improved pep. Handling is good for a car with tires that skinny. The styling is pleasing and it draws positive attention from onlookers. There's a lot of hard plastic in the interior. Some slightly softer surfaces might have been nice. Predictable Honda road noise, but hey, it's a $19k car, not a Lexus. Overall, I'm very pleased.

Driving 100 Miles a Day
By Rick from Woodstock on 08/19/10 13:22 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had my Insight for less than a month, but I drive 100 miles every weekday and I've already driven on highways, in mountains, and in NY City. I feel I can now rave about how much I love this car (and not just because my monthly gasoline bill will be half of my gas bill for the 2000 VW Golf I traded in). Others in these reviews have complained about the auto stop feature, but I'm a fan. I like the idea that my engine isn't idling for no reason when I'm sitting at a long red light. The first time it happens you might thing you have stalled, but by the second time it happens, it just seems cool.

By Bankie on 08/17/10 02:08 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The A/C only turns off at stop when in ECON mode. When ECON mode is off, the A/C functions at a stop. A/C is cold. Love the dash/gauges, hate the cheap plastics used on the interior. Scratch easily, very cheap. Feels like an economy car but at 20+k for the base model that's kind of lame. Almost no sound proofing, $400 optional usb connector (seriously?) They should've thrown it in. Cross country drives are a drag as the engine is low torque so you spend the gas you'd save putting your foot through the floor to climb hills.

Great For People Doing Lot of Commuting
By Officer Moore on 08/15/10 11:01 AM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car delivers with its great gas mileage and smart designs. I am getting an average of 38 to 40 mpg/city, and 46 to 48/hwy with combined (my actual daily travel) of 44.8 to 45.7 mpg. Love the ease of use and location of controls. Tons of storage space and love the use of every nook and cranny. Only downside is location 12 v plug and could use move in cockpit area and in hatchback area. Have not found good way to mount my 80 gb creative lab mp3 player. Cup holders locations are one of the worst features. Less road noise would be a plus. Loved this Honda so much, bought a 2007 Ridgeline with 40k miles (certified pre-owned) the next day!

Disappointed
By Disappointed on 08/14/10 12:18 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I really, really loved this car until this morning. I was waxing my car and trying to polish out what I thought was water spots. On closer inspection it was obvious that the paint was chipping in radial patterns all over the hood of my car. Worst paint job ever. Don't buy this car if you have expectations of a paint lasting over three months.

Very pleased so far
By EFC on 08/12/10 19:04 PM (PDT)

2010 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have only had my Insight for about a week but so far I am really enjoying it. It gets really good gas mileage and I think the car is a good value for the money. I have the LX and it is not a "Luxury" vehicle by any stretch of the imagination but it is cute and comfortable. The back seat is roomy enough for normal sized adults to sit comfortably. Next time might try the EX because it has a few more whistles and bells. All in all a great car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Honda Insight in NJ is:

$209 per month*