2006 Honda Insight Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

2006 Insight Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Sort Reviews by

Brilliance
By xzizx

2006 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback w/Air Conditioning (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The increase in vehicle interaction from the Insights digital display takes driving to a new standard. One where it is possible for precision gas saving. Very little guessing. Bad driving is spelled out right in front of you with lower mpg. Keeps one honest. At least more so than a vehicle w/o the same type of display. My 2006's Marconi sticker claims 57 City 56 Hghwy. I beat that easily. Took about a week for me to regularly beat those numbers. Avg City romps bring 66-70 mpg. Highway, which is supposed to be lower is even higher. Might have to do with having rare Cruise Control Option. Set it at 50-55 mph and the mileage is 70+mpg. These figs are w/o A/c running.

Favorite Features

The convenience/comfort features, auto a/c, great sounding c/d stereo radio power Windows, door locks, its is really a Cadillac comfortable sports car. I say sports car, because this is no slug! If I wanted, I could fly by most cars; especially since I can do it getting 40 mpg with a/c.

Suggested Improvements

FIRST! Nothing! Hard to Find Accessories! Like Wind Deflectors, Bra. Would be nice if the dash could allow for Full Screen GPS, w/DVD. As is Only a 4.3 inch DVD w/Gps will fit. Hey its hard to think of anything wrong. There just isn't any. Yeah its a little job climbing out. good prob!

Fun little car, great for So Cal!
By Dude

I've always wanted an Insight since they first came out years back. In CA I have the carpool lane sticker, and it's invaluable as it always comes in handy having the extra lane as an option. Car is very reliable and had only minor quirks ( rear view mirror fix, and power window track cleaning ). It is super fun to drive, and has great handling. It is SUPER efficient on gas, and pretty quick and fast as well. There is some storage capability as well, and it's great for So. CA. It might not work as well in rain and snow areas, as it is low to the ground and has small tires, but if you live in a moderate climate, it is really an excellent car to own!!!

Favorite Features

The A/C control is very cool and easy to dial in and also has an ECON mode. The digital dashboard display is very cool as well. The way the car accelerates sounds cool, and you get the airplane take off sound as well! Handling and maneuverability is SO awesome with the size as well!!!

Suggested Improvements

An improvement would be to continue making these cars! Also, a better factory sound system and stock alarm system would be nice. Having factory leather seats would be way cool, but that can be done aftermarket!!! It really has SO much value for what it is, that you can't complain!

The best car i own
By CHAZODIN

2006 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I have 5 cars and barely touch my MB, my BMW, my Escalade, my classic Bentley Convertible, or any guzzler. This is the most fun car to drive and I forget the last time each time I fill the 10.6 gal tank....I get up to 70 mpg.

Favorite Features

Quietness and maneuverability and zip.

Suggested Improvements

I love it as is....I had grey leather put in to customize it...baby glove leather which is lightweight.

Great Car
By jbyrne

2006 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback w/Air Conditioning (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I traded in my mercury Marquis when gas went over $3.00 per gallon. I drive a lot with my job and this car saves me $100/1000 miles compared to the old car. I figured out I could give my money to Honda or Mobil. I am getting between 65-70 per gallon at 65-70MPH. I drive about 3000 miles per month. I am just as comfortable in this car as the mercury.

Favorite Features

Easy to park, fun to drive. High mileage. Car heats up really quick (less than 3 minutes - nice for defrosting). Oil changes are a snap, can reach filter easy, only uses 2.5 Quarts of oil. My little dog likes sitting in the back, can see out the windows really easy.

Suggested Improvements

add cruise control - I had to install an aftermarket one from J.C. Whitney (only cost a hundred bucks.)

Go twice as far for half as much
By Matt

If you have a long commute to work like I do, this is the car for you. I have a 120 mile round trip each day from work. I was driving a blazer before gas was even breaking $2.00/gal and was spending more each month on gas then my car payment. I still have the blazer, because I live in New England, and this car will not get you out of the snow. It has smooth pick up, and at 75-80mph I still average 52mpg. You can't beat that.

Favorite Features

Plain and simple fuel economy!!!

Suggested Improvements

Better sound proofing. This car has small tires, and is really low to the ground. When you're on the highway it can get a little noisy inside the cabin almost like a wind tunnel. A back seat would be nice. There is no storage room at all really. Spare tire location could be improved.

Great Insight
By Robert

I have owned this car for 5 years. It has more storage than others give it credit for. Love this car, no problems of service required so far. I own a Prius too. Both are great cars. Was in an accident, T-boned by an elderly woman. No damage to my body.

Favorite Features

I like the way it drives/handles, once you get used to it. Fast accelaration, 0-60 in 10 sec.

Suggested Improvements

Speed control.

no contest for economy
By Dave

No change between 2001 and 2006, so I expect the same from this one as the 2001 I traded in after 95000 flawlessly economical miles. Construction ensures rust will never be a problem. Small, yes, but agile, warmer and more practical than a motorcycle. Honda, keep making it. If you build it, they will come, especially as gas keeps climbing.

Favorite Features

Unique styling.

Insight
By Rex

I Purchased this Insight used and have very pleased with it thus far. Average day to day fuel economy has been in the high 60's with mid to high 80's easily attainable during extended highway driving.

Great car for commuters
By cha11

Great car for driving to and from work. This car pays for itself by cutting my gas bill $100 a week. Couldn't be happier with the performance.

Favorite Features

Real time miles per gallon display

Suggested Improvements

Interior is pretty cheap. Seat fabric and carpeting are the worst I've ever seen in a new car.

Exactly what I need
By griller

This is a great little commuter car. I does exactly what I need it to do: get me and my briefcase across town, warm and dry on very little gas. The car is fun to drive in the same way the old MG's and small sports cars of the past were. Not too much power, but that is part of the fun and challenge of driving them. That said I have no trouble navigating traffic with the power the Insight delivers, in fact it is remarkably quick off the line. I get the advertised mileage of 55 mpg in city driving. Instrumentation is simple and adequate. This car is not for everybody, but if you just need to get yourself back and forth to work each day, and mpg is an issue, it is very hard to beat the Insight.

Favorite Features

The fuel consumption display is a major feature in the mpg performance of the Insight, it tunes the DRIVER for better performance! The auto-engine stop is another grin provider, you get to listen to other cars burning gas at stop lights. lol you feel so smug. The CVT is amazing, the smoothest tranny

Suggested Improvements

Honda should add an engine auto stop button to allow the driver to re-stop the engine at stoplights where you end up moving forward a few feet after an initial stop. Hooks could be added to the ceiling behind the seats to make the cargo net vertical.