2005 Honda Insight Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

2005 Insight Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Sort Reviews by

Perfect Commuter Car
By HP Laborde

2005 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Air Conditioning (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Needed a daily driver: I drive approximately 40,000 year in Calif and need reliable, comfortable, peppy, economical transportation. The climate control is wonderful. If you don't try to get 65-70mpg the car hauls you know what! I've already got almost 2,000 miles on it in 1 week of ownership with avg of 62 mpg even driving over 95 mph on some spurts!

Favorite Features

Performance, mileage, good looks, quiet, handling, climate control. Good visibility. Very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Needs center console. Maybe a bigger fuel tank for even more range. An "R" version with mainly performance in mind but which would still get excellent mileage using the Acura Type R drivetrain (which I also own).

The Fhantm Strikes
By Aleeza St. Clair

I've never had a car that I enjoy driving so much and I've owned many different models including those with turbos. It does lose speed on steep inclines, but other than that it has quick pick up and is truly fun to drive. It also handles well in the ice and snow which is a must here in Alaska and I also love the sound system. My friend and I had room for two sets of golf clubs, two pieces of luggage, and a cooler with room to spare on a recent golf trip. I had to wait 8 months from the time that I ordered it until I received it, but it was well worth the wait!

Favorite Features

Great mileage and just simply fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

I'm not crazy about the windshield wiper controls. When I go to turn them off it frequently sets off the washer.

The Escape Craft
By Bunswha

Overall the only things that have been done to the car since I own it is regular oil changes. I live in the foothills of NY about 60 miles NNW of NYC. During the winter months I did find out the all season tires are not very good on snow covered roads. The car is very light and I would suggest studded snow tires in front for more traction and bite.

Favorite Features

The digital dash with the 3 separate trip meters that can be resent at anytime and the meters that inform you of your MPG. If SUVs had this little extra feature not many SUVs would be sold.

Suggested Improvements

A HUD ( Heads Up Display ) on windshield and maybe a rear camera ( There are many blind spots) with a video display where the cup holders are now mounted. You better look over your shoulder when changing lanes.

I go eco
By Tfoster

I love my Insight! It's actually my 2nd Insight. It's perfect for someone whose lifestyle allows for only two seats and plenty of room in the back for all sort of stuff. While I'm not going to win any wind sprints, I take comfort in knowing that I can make it 600 miles+ on my 10 gallon tank, especially with gas prices what they are today. It's a fun car to drive while protecting the planet.

Favorite Features

I love the displays. It's almost like playing a game as I try to better my fuel efficiency while driving. I also like that the car switches to electric-only while stopped since idling is where the most gas is wasted in "regular" cars. It just sits there quietly while radio, air, etc. still work.

Suggested Improvements

Initally I was a little disappointed with the pick-up but have gotten used to driving more efficiently. Also, this car is not made for cross country trips, as the seats do lay back. 6-8 hours is my preferred max in the car while traveling.

Head Turner
By Fallacy124

I purchased my Insight 2 1/2 years ago. I noticed that reviews say you don't get the mileage on the sticker, they're right. I get better!!! You just have to know how to drive one of these cars, you can't drive it like a 'normal' car and it takes time to learn it. 70 mpg is not unreasonable to attain with this vehicle. No problems whatsoever in 35,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Unusual styling. The 'what is that??' effect when parked or driving.

Suggested Improvements

Some type of rain gutter, you can't open the window if its raining or after.

Best High Mileage car there is
By TUN FLOG

If you are looking for a high mileage vehicle, THIS IS IT. When the price of gas is over $3.00 a gallon and you consider how many times you have to have more than a two place car, you will see the value. The manual version is light and easy to move through the gates, and the extra control of the torque band of the engine is invaluable for extra high mileage. Expect 65 to 70 mpg at 70 mph. My best run...82.2 mpg!! (at 55)

Favorite Features

Compact, able to park anywhere. Aerodynamic design makes car almost impervious to the side loading of large vehicles, like 18 wheelers.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a center console!! The comfort of a hanging right arm is not terrible, but not great either.

Honda Insight
By Honda Insight

2005 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great car, I own a 2000 insight, I had great results and finf it very reliable, I don't know why they say they don"t have power. The one I have has lots of power.

Favorite Features

Great mileage, fun to drive, has lots of power. Highly recommend buying.

Suggested Improvements

sunroof

Insight Remains Extreme
By Bob

We own a Prius, Accord Hybrid and anInsight. Nothing beats the Insight on mileage. It's fun to drive and perfectly wonderful for daily activities and commuting.

Favorite Features

It's a purpose driven, elegant vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Amp it up a bit. Even more radical styling. Get the Honda GPS as an option.

An overview and corrections
By Frank Manley

2005 Honda Insight Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

84 yrs old, and cars all my life, including Ferrari, and road racing, This is finest engineered ever, with world's most advanced engine. Also, fun to drive. You guys lie a lot-the 5 speed will give 65 M/G all day. 70 M/G is common. I have a CVT and can get 60 plus/gal on flat roads to Cal. from Seattle. Next year when oil goes to 80/barrel, I will have to lock it up!

Favorite Features

Mileage, of course, first in world. fit and finish excellent. roomy, no wind noise at 70. Superb engineering. Instrumentation, with gas how goes it. 105000 miles to first seervic and 7500 mile oil changes, 2.6 qts.

Suggested Improvements

Add sheet metal clip inside gas cap cover to hold the cap, my 1991 Accord has this. Glove box light. Passenger mirror. Change rear wheel cutout to semicircular, so it looks like a car with covers removed. Lower height. We do not need provision for a 6 foot 7 inch driver, as it has now

honda insight 2001
By sharon wilson

Great mileage car, filled up for $11.00 and it would last a whole month. Not too much pick up-you will never get a speeding ticket. I had the 2001 which was to get 50 mpg in town and 70 on the highway, this was quite accurate - once on a highway trip I got 93 miles per gallon. I didn't like people coming up to me wanting to talk about the car all the time. It is built real solid and accident resistant. You could push in the fender with your thumb and it would pop back out. I was sitting in traffic on the highway at a dead standstill, and someone ran into me about 65-70 miles per hour, the car was so well built it took them about a week to discover the car was totaled. I would buy another one.

Favorite Features

All the bells and whistles as a bigger car, remote access, ac, power everything, stick shift, cute. gas milage was the #1 thing for me. $11. would last a whole month (about 350-400 miles)the large battery in rear is a protection to the passengers and driver in the front, I had a two seater.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof, built in cd player, tilt steering wheel, cruise control, need a small truck thats a hybrid, mpg need to stay at 50 in city and 70 on highway. Average $ on gas per year is $270.00. It is a great car, I just loved it.